Happy Marathon Monday!
It feels good to be back after a few disastrous days. Last week I started to feel a bit burnt out and like my body just needed a break so I scrapped my 5am workouts/gym sessions and just ran. That’s all I really felt like doing. I ran based on effort and took it easy for the most part:
Monday: 5 miles @ 9:09 avg.
Wednesday: 10 miles @ 8:26 avg.
Friday: 5 miles @ 8:21 avg.
Saturday: 3.5 miles @ 9:11 avg.
Sunday: 5 miles @ 8:44 avg.
Hopefully this week I’ll find a little more motivation to cross train and lift weights.
I also decided not to run the Niagara Half Marathon yesterday. I was this close to going but I knew it wouldn’t have been the best decision for me. I have been racing so much lately and I know I would have put a lot of pressure on myself to PR. It might have been possible. Who knows. I did love staying in my pyjamas until 11am yesterday though. It’s been a while since I did that but it sure felt good to have a lazy morning for once.
With the super hot weather creeping up on us, I thought I’d put together some of my favourite summer running pieces. I always get questions regarding gear and everyone loves cute workout clothing, so why not talk about it?! We are all different when it comes to what we are comfortable wearing (especially when running) but these are some of my essentials:
1. Mizuno Lotus Sports Bra - I’m super picky with sports bras and how they are cut. The racerback on this is very comfortable and doesn’t dig into my back at all. The bra also comes with removable inserts so you don’t get a uni-boob. WIN.
2. Mizuno Daria Sunset Shorts - The flat waistband and longer built-in underwear (kind of like boy shorts) are awesome. Super comfortable and no wedgies while running!
3. Mizuno Harmony Tank - This tank is not super tight or clingy, allows for movement, and has no built in spots bra so you can wear what works for you underneath.
4. Lululemon Stuff Your Bra Sports Bra - IT’S BACK!!!! I have two of the Stuff Your Bra Tanks (Lulu is getting these again soon, so I was told) and they are the BEST. You can literally fit so much stuff in the pockets. I wore one to the Phoenix Marathon and it held three gels + my iPod. Your boobs might look a bit strange with all your things stuffed in there but trust me, it makes things soooo easy! No fiddling with zippers or belts.
5. Lululemon Dart & Dash Short – I’ll be honest, I didn’t like these when I saw them online but I tried them on anyway over the weekend and they are awesome. They are long enough that you can run without your butt hanging out and they don’t squeeze you around the thigh opening like a lot of other tight shorts do. The side pockets are a bonus and they are deep enough that you can put ID or a key in and not have to worry about it falling out while you run.
6. Lululemon Speed Shorts – These have been a long time favourite. They fit really well and always come in super fun colours. The only thing with these shorts — if I wear them for runs lasting longer than about two hours, the seam around the thighs starts to irritate my legs a bit. Other than that, I love love loooove these shorts.
7. Mizuno DryLite Cap – My hair has gotten so long and it’s kind of painful to wear it in a ponytail because it’s so heavy. I’ve gotten used to just throwing on a hat and wearing my hair down or wearing this Mizuno cap and pulling my hair through the hole in the back without using a hair elastic. So it’s still kind of like a ponytail but without the headache!
8. Mizuno DL Comfort Quarter Socks – I used to think wearing any socks to run in is okay…not the case. To avoid blisters I make sure to wear running-specific socks. Along with these Mizuno ones, I also love Pro Compression, WrightSock, and Running Room brand socks.
9. Sunski Original Sunglasses – I know these aren’t your typical running glasses but they are my new fav. They’re polarized and really lightweight so they do a great job at reducing glare and don’t move one bit when you’re running!
That’s more or less what I’m sweating in this season!
What are YOUR fav apparel pieces/accessories for summer??