We finally made it to the end of the week. Holy smokes. The first week of work + the hottest and most humid weather ever + a school with no air conditioning = a rough few days. It’s really hard to want to teach (for me) or learn/absorb information (for the students) when it’s so uncomfortably hot. We did it though and I think I’ve got about 65 sets of fingers crossed that next week will be cooler for us!
Here are some things that I am loving this week:
1. Starbucks iced coffee. My lifesaver this week. I look forward to walking over during my lunch and holding that cold cup in my hand for a few minutes. I know coffee just dehydrates you even more and it’s probably not what I should be drinking but man, it tastes good. I get it with soy or coconut milk and two pumps of sugar-free vanilla or cinnamon dolce syrup. I know, I know. Aspartame is going to kill me. You don’t have to remind me.
2. TRACKSMITH. I remember coming across this brand last winter and was immediately drawn to their retro style of running gear. While I was away last week, I was trying to find out if they sell their apparel at any retailers in NYC. I figured it would just be easier than ordering online because I could go in and try stuff on. Turns out that online was the only way to snag their stuff (though they do ship internationally). On the same day that I was Googling “Tracksmith retailers NYC”, I got an email from them asking if I would be interested in trying out some pieces. How random and coincidental?!?! Even better – I got the email on my birthday so it was a sweet little surprise to get. I received my package this week and am in love with everything! Major thanks to Tracksmith for the sweet threads. I can’t wait to rock them. These are the pieces I got:
3. Picky bars! A friend of mine mailed me a couple of these wayyyy back and I loved them. I was excited to get my hands on a few while I was in NYC. They are SO good to eat pre-run. I just found out that MEC in Toronto now carries them so I ordered a whole bunch. Cookie Doughpness is my favourite so far but I have some Ah, Fudge Nuts! on the way and I have a feeling that flavour may take first place.
4. While I was in NYC (sorry so much NYC talk this week), I tried a new to me restaurant called Bareburger. I posted a photo of my lunch to my Instagram stories and my friend Gemma sent me a message saying that there is also a location in Toronto (right at Bay and Dundas). WHAT?! I loved it so much that I took my cousin there before we went to the Bad Boy Reunion concert on Tuesday night. She loved it too! It’s basically a burger joint but they also have salads, sandwiches, shakes, and really good fries and onion rings. I love that you can build your own burger – that’s what I did both times. They have three vegan options – sweet potato/kale, black bean and farmer’s quinoa. You choose your patty, bun, cheese, veggies, and sauce. I’ve only tried the sweet potato/kale patty and it’s delicious. Definitely one of the best veggie burgers I’ve ever had!
5. STRANGER THINGS! Anyone else get hooked on this show??? I originally didn’t think I would like it as it’s classified as a supernatural/horror/science fiction series and I’m usually not into that. It had raving reviews so I gave it a shot and finished all eight episodes in two days. It was that good. I can’t wait for the next season!
Last thing – I’m starting to pack for Golden. I know it’s a bit early but I like to just leave my suitcase open and add things as I remember them. I’d love any help from all you ultra runners out there. What are some things that you wouldn’t run without (aside from the obvious clothing/shoes/socks)? Here’s what I’ve got so far:
- Hydration pack
- Bear Spray (which I hopefully won’t need lol)
- Body Glide
- Medical Kit
- Toilet paper
What am I missing??
Hope you have a fabulous Friday and weekend! Good luck to everyone racing. I’ll be running the Yorkville 5K on Sunday and I know that Erie is happening this weekend as well. Crossing my fingers that everyone has a great race!