I like to try and set some mini goals each month so that I have something to work on. January felt more like a “trial month” for me and though I achieved some of the things I wanted, the month ended with me wishing I had done a little better. With that being said, here are some things I’m hoping to work on during the month of February:
1. Run 100+ miles. I literally just made it last month with 102.81 miles. I struggled with distance at the end of 2015 and I’m finally starting to feel like running 100 miles in a month is kind of “easy” again. I’m actually enjoying running, not stressing myself out in terms of pace, and running whatever distance I feel like running on a given day. I want to keep that up this month so that I can start adding some speed to my workouts (while holding onto endurance) in March.
2. Eat a salad a day. I have said time and time again that I struggle with my vegetable consumption and while January was decent, I want to make a better effort to eat more nutrients. I can go a whole day eating fruit, crackers, hummus, rice, beans, bread, waffles, etc…and no veggies. I always joke about being a vegetarian who doesn’t even like vegetables. There are so many tastier things out there, in my opinion anyway. My go-to over the last few days has been a base of kale tossed in olive oil and lemon juice + any toppings I can find. The one in the picture (with really awesome lighting 😉 ) was kind of boring. Today’s concoction has kale, quinoa, feta, cucumbers, sun dried tomatoes, and kalamata olives. I think today is the first time I’m actually looking forward to eating a salad.
3. Get out more. This one sounds kind of silly but I honestly need to start doing things and seeing more humans on my free time. I am a homebody and I looooooove being alone. Don’t get me wrong, I love seeing my friends and family but more often than not, I am in my pyjamas insanely early and eating popcorn while watching Netflix. The colder weather doesn’t help. I find it much easier to put on real pants and hang out with people in the warmer seasons.
4. Save money. December and January were really big spending months for me. I moved into my condo with almost nothing so I had to buy a lot of stuff. I had this desire to want to furnish my entire place as soon as possible because it looked so empty. I’m finally beginning to realize and accept that it’s not going to happen that way. First off, it’s crazy expensive. Between mortgage payments, maintenance fees, buying furniture, and paying contractors, my bank account is like WHOA. So I’ve told myself I am not buying anything else for my place until my kitchen is completely finished and paid for. Who cares if I have to use my coffee table as a TV stand at the moment? Everything will come together and things will look great, it’s just going to take a little longer than I anticipated. This emoji accurately reflects my life right now:
5. CHOOSE to be happy. I saw this quote on a billboard the other day while out for run – “Happiness is in the heart, not in the circumstances.” A lot of recent personal/life events have brought me down over the last little while and I’ve made the deliberate choice to be unhappy and think negatively about some things. That is not okay. I want to have a different mindset this month (and hopefully forever – ha) and try not to let unfortunate circumstances affect my overall happiness.
So here’s to a month of running, eating salads, seeing people, saving money, and being happy! Sounds pretty good to me! 😀