I know I’m a little late to the whole setting goals/making resolutions game but I haven’t had wifi since I moved into my new place last week. I’ve used over a third of my cell phone data already and we are only on day 8 of the month!! Whoops. Good news is – it’s finally getting hooked up tonight so I’ll be able to get back to a semi-normal blogging schedule soon.
I have yet to feel settled into my new home because there are still a million things I need to do. I’ve had some people ask for some photos but you’ll have to hold tight while I try and finish things up, buy a few more things I need, and most importantly – have my new kitchen installed. I still have a functional kitchen but I’m trying not to get too comfortable in it because I know that I’ll have to empty it out in just a few weeks when it’s demolition time.
What we CAN talk about are some of the goals that I am hoping to achieve this year.
1. Continue training my heart. Ever since my marathon in October, I have been running pretty easy miles while trying to stay in a specific heart rate range. I’ll be honest, I don’t really know what I’m doing nor do I know why my HR is super low some days vs. super high on other days (even when I’m running at the same pace). I know there are a bunch of factors to take into consideration so I’m trying to learn everything I can in hopes that I’ll benefit from this type of training later in the year.
2. Run a sub-1:40 half marathon. This was one of my goals last year and it never happened. I came close at SeaWheeze with a 1:41:xx with no intention of running that race that fast so I have faith in myself when it comes to the half marathon distance this year.
3. BQ (maybe). This was also something I really wanted to achieve last year but I think that even though I really wanted it, I wasn’t ready to put in the work. I ran the miles but that’s all I did. There are so many other things that need to be done in addition to running – strength training, foam rolling, stretching, eating right, resting, etc. I didn’t really do those things. Like, ever. I don’t feel ready to commit to everything that comes along with marathon training just yet but I’m going to reevaluate in a few months and possibly aim for an early fall race. I see myself only running one marathon this year and if it happens, I want to do it right.
Last year I was able to PR in the 5K and 10K distance and while it would be awesome to do that again, I don’t want to get hooked on the numbers for every single race this year. I felt a lot of pressure at just about every start line in 2015 which started to take the fun and love out of running for me. This year I want to ease back into it with less focus on speed (for a little while, at least) and finish the year strong with a half marathon PR and possibly a BQ.
1. Make my condo my home. I can’t wait to get settled and put some finishing touches on my place. I know it’ll be a few months (at least) before this all happens…turns out furnishing rooms costs a lot of money! But I will get there and it will feel OH SO GOOD once it’s all done. P.S. I am literally blown away by my view every. single. day.
2. Travel! I know that I’d like to visit Phoenix at least once this year (I miss my AZ family) and I’d also like to travel somewhere I’ve never been before. I really have no idea where this may be but I’m hoping to see someplace new and exciting. NYC is on my list as well. I haven’t been there in years and if I don’t get in for the marathon this fall, then I will go some other time and eat all the pizza and bagels in the city with GB aka NYCSWEAT.
3. Secure my dream job. I’ve been waiting 5+ years for a certain opportunity and I’m praying that things align for me this year. I know if it’s meant to be, it’ll happen. If it’s not, there will be something else – a different plan.
1. More structure. I’m notorious for blogging whenever I feel like it. Some weeks it’s four days, some weeks it’s zero days. While blogging isn’t my job, it still brings me some really great opportunities and I get to connect with some pretty fantastic people. I’d like to make the effort to update on a more regular basis and develop some sort of schedule. I think posting Monday/Wednesday/Friday is the most realistic for me. Let’s see how this pans out… 😉
2. Vary my content. I know I talk a lot about running and as much as I love running, I also love a lot of other things like my family, friends, dog, fashion, decorating/organizing, eating shopping, etc. I’m going to make an effort to share different parts of me. Turns out a lot of people like reading about non-running stuff too so it’s a win-win (I think).
3. Don’t let it be a priority. While posting regularly is important to me, I also want to keep blogging exactly what it is – a hobby. It’s really easy to get caught up in the blog world and social media (I’ve been guilty of it) so while it is something I love to do, there are more important things that will always come first. The world won’t explode if I decide to take a week off to shut down and log off Instagram.
So there you go. I think all of these goals are realistic and achievable for me. 2016 is already off to a pretty good start and I feel really positive and excited for what’s to come!
What is one of your goals for this year??