Let’s do a little comparing

by Christina @ The Athletarian on March 6, 2013

I did a really good job at getting sleep last night.  I came home from work with a terrible headache, went to lay down and didn’t wake up until this morning.  I usually only get about 5-6 hours of sleep so I think this was my body’s way of telling me to try and get to bed earlier if I’m going to be waking up so early to go to the gym.  That is a new goal for March.

Clearly sleeping > blogging yesterday and Princeton > blogging on Monday.  He got a haircut and I basically spent the night staring at him and trying to get him to sit still so I could take a picture.  Since everyone loves before and after pictures, here ya go:

haircut

Different lighting, but you get the idea.  He has an underbite and it kills me when his one tooth pokes out.

Moving on…

I’ve seen a few bloggers do posts about what a typical day of eating looked like when they were younger.  I was just talking about this last weekend and realized that I’ve done a complete 360 in terms of fuelling my body.  I thought it would be fun to do a ‘then and now’ comparison so I put this together to show you what a day of eating used to look like up until high school.

brownfood

EVERYTHING WAS BROWN!  Where were my veggies?!?!  I loved Eggo waffles for breakfast, but only with butter.  For lunch I would either have a turkey or salami sandwich.  Dinner was either pasta with butter/cream sauce or sometimes chicken fingers and a baked potato.  Cookies were the only thing that made the cut for dessert.  I would eat fruit too, thank goodness.  At least there were some nutrients in my diet.

I am honestly shocked that I am still alive.  My poor mother.  I was the pickiest eater and she would always make separate meals for me just so I would eat.  I hated vegetables and I also hated all sweets except for Chips Ahoy chocolate chip cookies.  I never even wanted a birthday cake on my birthday.  I remember my mom took me out to dinner one year and instead of having the server bring me cake or ice cream, she brought a plate of nachos and cheese with candles in it.  I was a chip fiend.

I started doing a lot of research on food once I started going to university.  I basically taught myself everything I know through books (The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno and The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier) and Google helped out too.  Times have definitely changed.  Here is just an example of what a day might look like NOW:

rainbowfood

My days now are chock full of nutrients, complex carbs, healthy fats, lean proteins, and treats…in moderation, of course.  I love sweets now (started liking them once I hit my 20s) but I am trying not to eat them so often.  Easter is just around the corner and I plan on diving head first into a Costco-sized bag of Mini Eggs so I’m going to try and not eat so much chocolate until then! ;)

What were some of your favourite things to eat when you were younger?  Did you have a balanced diet?

1 Britton March 6, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Princeton is so cute!!! Love his haircut! I am a new follower and i love reading!!! I look forward to reading more!!

2 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Thanks, Britton!! I’ll be checking out your blog too! :)

3 Ed March 6, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Cute pup pic! I am a sucker for the underbite as well! Love it when Buoy does it…

4 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 12:37 pm

It’s the cutest!! Makes me laugh every time!

5 Cara D March 6, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I am also dreaming of the Costco mini eggs. Although I do like Eggies better!

6 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Do you?? I feel like they taste the same? I guess I’ll have to buy both and do a comparison… ;)

7 Jenn @ Run It My Way March 6, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I love seeing pictures of Princeton, he’s so sweet! My little dog has a little underbite too and I just adore it, it’s the cutest thing! It kind of makes her look like she’s smiling all the time :)

I love seeing before and afters! I should post one too.. I’ve always been a pretty good eater in terms of meals and I love to cook, but I’m the WORST snacker. And I ate a lot of crap when I was in university.. Especially law school! I didn’t have a lot of time, studied a LOT and I had friends that ate out a lot, so there were waaayyy more chicken wings, nachos and burgers in my diet than there should have been!

8 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I didn’t go away for university so I guess I got lucky in that sense! I always ate my meals at home or packed my own lunches. I can see how people go crazy though. If I lived on campus, I would have been a bad eater too. There were just so many unhealthy food options everywhere. Sometimes you have to go through that to make a lifestyle change though, right??

9 She Rocks Fitness March 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I had a balanced diet as a child, but nothing like what it is today. My diet was probably the least balanced when I was in my 20′s with an ex-boyfriend! We would split a whole box of pasta! OMG! Like you my eating has changed so much in the past few years to help better fuel my lifestyle, but also to just make me feel better on a daily basis. I still treat myself to wine, sweets, and dinners out, it’s just not as frequent anymore.

10 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:08 pm

You have a perfectly balanced diet! Sometimes boyfriends have the worst impact. Mine can eat whatever he wants and still have a shredded 6-pack so I have to be careful around him. If I eat what he eats, I will blow up like a balloon!

11 Dean Joseph March 6, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Friench Fries for my Ketchup! Also Sour Power candies and Starburst. When I first got of the Army Hot Pockets and one huge bag of Doritos. Also Oreo cookies. Man I was a junk Food beast.

12 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Wow, that sounds like the best diet ever!! I forgot – I used to really love pizza pockets. Sometimes I would eat them for breakfast hahahaha!!

13 Alejandra @ wishfulshrinking March 6, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Oh my god his underbite! I miss that psycho little dude!
And if by balanced diet you mean different white carbs at every meal, then yes. I was balanced as hell!
AHH I was the WORST eater because I would eat ANYTHING that tasted like delicious fluffy bread!
Vegetables? Yeah ok.
Hence my position now.

14 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Haha delicious fluffy bread is the best…in moderation!! We both went through it, don’t worry. You’ve educated yourself and now you have the power to make a change, right?? And that’s exactly what you’re doing!

15 Ang @ Nutty for Life March 6, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I definitely didn’t have a balanced diet when I was younger. I was a sweet cereal fiend in the morning. Times do change, but I guess it takes the past to make us appreciate what we know about food and fueling ourselves now.

16 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Haha I actually went through a cereal phase in high school. I forgot about that! I was really picky though – Fruit Loops or Raisin Bran were usually my two cereal choices. Weird, I know! now I have a minor addiction to Cinnamon Toast Crunch. The last time I bought it, I ate the entire box in two days! I can’t buy it anymore.

17 Devon @ Health in Equilibrium March 6, 2013 at 2:28 pm

It’s definitely a little shocking thinking about what I used to eat as a kid. My mum was a health nut, so we ate tofu hotdogs, kamut pasta, almond butter and cheese sandwiches on spelt bread and organic everything. For some reason though, I got a lot of salami sandwiches and cookies when I was in grade school. Now, the thought of salami makes me sick.

18 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Wow! I didn’t even know what almond butter was until university! That’s amazing that you got started on healthy things early on.

19 Rachelle March 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Princeton is perfect, love him! This post definitely made me laugh because I ate terrible as a kid. My Mom is a junk food aholic and we lived on candy bars. :) Good times indeed but like you said I’m surprised I’m still alive!

20 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:17 pm

That’s too funny! Does she still love junk food?? I would find it sooo hard to avoid if it was around me all the time!

21 Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits March 6, 2013 at 3:20 pm

bahahaha look at your blog title and mine today.

22 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Hah! It’s all about comparing today! ;)

23 Lenka @Healthy Fit Goddess March 6, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I also used to eat salami sandwiches for lunch haha. I did have plenty of fruits because I grew up in Florida. My parents moved here from Europe so our meals were always made from scratch and we rarely ate processed or junk food and never fast food…I’m lucky that I grew up that way!

24 Christina @ The Athletarian March 6, 2013 at 5:19 pm

That’s awesome! My mom always made delicious homemade meals but for some strange reason I really liked food that came in boxes! Thank goodness that phase is over! Florida…do you eat a lot of oranges?!?! :)

25 Lenka @Healthy Fit Goddess March 6, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I used to eat a lot of fresh mangos and oranges from our backyard in Florida but I now live in Chicago :(

26 Christina @ The Athletarian March 7, 2013 at 11:09 am

Mmmm mangoes are my favourite! I hear Chicago is really nice and plan on visiting soon. I bet nothing beats the weather in Florida though!! I’ve been a few times and remember it being so hot.

27 Lenka @Healthy Fit Goddess March 7, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Chicago a great city, I love it here! Let me know when you visit and tell you where all the healthy restaurants are :)

28 Lindsay March 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Seriously I think Princeton is THE cutest dog I’ve ever seen. He looks like a cuddly teddy bear :) It’s just crazy to think how much our eats change isn’t it?? Mine are totally different, too.

29 Christina @ The Athletarian March 7, 2013 at 10:22 am

I know!! I love looking at him. He doesn’t even look real sometimes!

And I agree – crazy! I’m loving the learning process when it comes to nutrition though!

30 Bianca- Vegan Crunk March 6, 2013 at 6:54 pm

My childhood diet was very similar. I was a vegetarian kid, but I lived on mac & cheese, veggie burgers, and spaghetti. Thank god my mom cooked veggies or I would have chosen not to eat them. I liked veggies growing up but not like I liked mac & cheese.

31 Christina @ The Athletarian March 7, 2013 at 10:24 am

Hah! I think every kid liked mac and cheese. My mom always tried to make it for me from scratch – with real cheese and healthier pasta – but for some reason I always preferred the boxed stuff. So gross!

32 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile March 6, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I never noticed Princeton’s under bite before… SO CUTE. I love the before and afters! I ate a loooot of junk when I was younger, but my parents did cook dinner usually. It was usually boxed things like mac n cheese and things like that. VERY different from how I eat now.

33 Christina @ The Athletarian March 7, 2013 at 10:26 am

Isn’t it crazy how things have changed so much?? My mom always coked homemade food too but I never wanted it. Pass me the Kraft Dinner and frozen chicken fingers! Ugh!

34 Carrie Kennedy March 6, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I seem to remember talk about a Costco size bag of mini eggs last year around this time…hmmmm…yikes I ate a small bag of them today…could not resist!

35 Christina @ The Athletarian March 7, 2013 at 10:28 am

Haha yep, probably!! Even though they’re available all year I still get really excited around Easter. It’s just an excuse to eat them in excess, I guess!! You had a bag?? I am going to have to get some this weekend!! I

36 Jenny @ The Little JBird March 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Princeton’s teeth. I just can’t. So stinkin’ cute!
MINI EGGS! I’m working my way through my bag right now. So good! I’m glad they’re not available year round or I would be in trouble. ;)

37 Christina @ The Athletarian March 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

I know, I love them!! They’re not available all year round where you are?? They are here! They just sell bigger bags around Easter! ;)

38 Laura March 7, 2013 at 10:51 am

My diet is TOTALLY different from when I grew up and luckily so is my parents’ diet. We grew up with not a lot of money so there was a lot of white bread, deli meat etc.
Now…my motto is to (as best possible) eat like an athlete.
I am a total grocery store stalker and was appalled the other day to see a mom/son with a cart where almost everything was beige/fast food/frozen.

39 Christina @ The Athletarian March 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

I am the exact same way!! I was at Costco last week and spent some time peeking in other people’s carts and was shocked at the things people were buying their children! Bulk boxes of candy, chips, frozen dinners, sugar-laden juices…it was crazy. My diet may not have been great as a kid but what I saw was extreme!

40 Cynthia Fleming March 7, 2013 at 12:34 pm

My childhood diet was fairly healthy. My dad is a health nut (vegetarian) and therefore my brother and I missed out on hot lunch pizzas and french fries. Instead we were sent to school with brown bagged lunches with peanut butter and jelly, veggie slices or apples and peanut butter. Bagged chips were a treat. We always thought he was so unfair, little did we know that he was actually right about eating healthy. My diet now is very healthy. I am glad my dad instilled some healthy habits in me. My current diet is vegan and gluten free.

41 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily March 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Oh man, the underbite…I die! So cute!!!

You are giving me hope for my children, they are SO picky it drives me insane!

42 Sonia the Mexigarian March 7, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Oh dear lord I die from the cuteness overload of Princeton’s tooth. lol.

My diet is somewhat different from when I was a kid. less meat, that’s for sure, but the same amount of fruit, more veggies than the standard peas, potato and corn. brussel sprouts are my drug and i eat less processed foods. I don’t remember the last time I had a bologna sandwich with Iron Kids bread. . .

43 Katherine March 7, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Your dog is super cute…with both haircuts!!!! I too am an animal lover and have 2 dogs and a cat…and now make pet grooming products as my business….if you are coming to All about Pets show…let me know…I have a booth there.
Diet in my teens was good….started eating crap later in life with stressful jobs and being on the road….I had many meals of diet coke, chips and a chocolate bar…that was all the gas station had…can’t believe it now….glad to be alive too!!! LOL