#isuck at #ipromise (week 2)

by Christina @ The Athletarian on October 8, 2012

So remember about my friend Theresa’s weekly #ipromise challenge I talked about?  Well last week didn’t go as well as I had hoped.  Theresa, why the heck would you make week 1 during THANKSGIVING?!  Just saying.  Anyway let’s review last week’s promises and see what worked and what didn’t work.

#ipromise to eat a completely plant-based diet - Goat cheese sneaks into sandwiches.  That’s all I have to say about that.
#ipromise to stick to clean carbs for this month’s ECD Challenge - YES.  It’s been all about clean carbs (except for Thanksgiving).  Whoops.
#ipromise not to have any treats this week (my trip is coming close!) – YES.  No treats except for Thanksgiving.  Pumpkin Spice Lattes don’t count.
#ipromise to keep it clean on Thanksgiving this Sunday – NO.  Big fat NO.  Stuffing and pumpkin pie coma.
#ipromise to increase my water intake to at least 3L a day – YES.  Totally increased but maybe not quite to 3L yet.
#ipromise to be in bed by 10pm so that I have energy for my 4:30am workouts – YES.  I was always in bed early but a lot of times I didn’t actually sleep until later.  I’ve been having a hard time sleeping these days…
#ipromise to get a sweat session in every day for the rest of the week – YES YES YES.

So now what?  Time to make more promises and KEEP THEM.  I bought a 1L CamelBak bottle off Amazon to help me with my water intake and then the next day Dean found this at WalMart:

So now I have no excuses.  I have to finish both bottles everyday, bringing me to 3.2L.  Perfect.

Also, the whole plant-based thing didn’t work.  With meat already eliminated from my diet I feel like I’m starting to restrict myself too much if I take out dairy too.  I do eat it in moderation though because my stomach tends to hurt if I eat too much.

Let’s talk new promises then.

#ipromise to only drink ONE Pumpkin Spice Latte this week, possibly with a muffin that was looking at me last week ;)
#ipromise to have a David’s Tea once a day to save me from becoming a raging sugar-addicted monster
#ipromise to incorporate high intensity workouts into my already existing love for steady state cardio 6 days this week
#ipromise to make something with eggs this week that doesn’t actually taste like eggs because I hate them
#ipromise to carry my water bottles everywhere I go and drink every drop of water even if it means peeing 37 times a day

There we go.  I think having five goals is attainable.  I don’t want to stress myself out, panic, eat a pumpkin pie, and then feel like a failure.  Baby steps.

Tell me one promise you are making to yourself this week!

What food do you most look forward to eating on Thanksgiving?

1 Lisa Murphy October 8, 2012 at 7:57 pm

I promise to try a tea from David’s Tea as my treat! Instead of reaching for the chocolate or cookies or candies…..my fave thing on Thanksgiving is …..pumpkin pie…..

2 Jenn's Adventures October 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Ohhhhhh the temptations of the holidays:) One of my BIGGEST challenges is drinking enough water. I am right there with you in disciplining to chug enough water — we gotta do it, no matter how much we end up having to pee throughout the day hahaha!!

3 Holly October 8, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I promise to not give into my afternoon sugar cravings, reset my sleep pattern to suit daylight savings (early nights to help my early mornings) and go for at least 1 mountain bike ride with my hubby! So that’s 3.. I think that’s attainable

4 Jenn @ Run It My Way October 8, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I’m promising to eat clean again this week, I’ve fallen off the wagon since the marathon (<– last MONTH)!! I've learned the hard way that I can't give up sweets 100%, I just don't stick with it and I need to find a balance that I can make into my lifestyle. I know myself well enough to know that I won't stick to it if I cut it all out so instead I'm focusing on eating well 95% of the time… So there are still some treats to look forward to :) I'm surprised how much better I feel already!

As for the pumpkin spice lattes (SO jealous, I think I miss them the most of everything since I moved to Cape Breton, we have no Starbucks here!) – but David's Tea Pumpkin Spice Chai is pretty incredbile! I drink it with a splash of milk (but I bet almond milk would be amazing with it) – you won't even want Starbucks after you try it :) :)

5 Ella Friberg October 8, 2012 at 9:22 pm

You’re awesome!! I’m not sure what I promise this week. Oh wait, I promise not to drink a glass of wine until I get to California to see my mom on Wednesday night. :)

6 Carrie Kennedy October 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Oh for sure baby steps! I eat a plant based diet now but I can’t tell you when I started because I did it so slowly, one day I just thought…hey I haven’t had any animal foods in quite a while…it will come if you want it to!

7 Nadège October 9, 2012 at 1:51 am

Don’t be too hard on yourself girl ! ;) you’re certainly not a failure if you eat a slice of pumpkin pie (althought that’s what I’m thinking about myself everytime I cheet haha^^… but, well …. mine are more binging than cheeting … :S) Not anyone is able to do what you’re doing ! YOU’RE A ROCK GIRL !!! :):):)
The promise I’m making to myself this week (and I long as I can) is to drink more more more !!! Just realize few days ago, I was only drinking about 3 cups some days !!!!! now I’m sticking to my 1,5 L /day … and will increase slowly
and for thanksgiving …. don’t have to “worry” about that , we are not celebrating it in France ^^
;)

8 Sara October 9, 2012 at 8:20 am

I’m also doing this challenge on my own blog as well! Some of my promises for the week:
#ipromise make it to the gym at least 3 times this week.
#ipromise to make mindful choices when it comes to snacks
#ipromise to not eat within two hours of going to sleep
#ipromise to drink DavidsTea (red velvet! mint chocolate rooibos!) when I feel that sugar craving coming on
#ipromise TO KEEP MY PROMISES!

9 Corey @ Learning Patience October 9, 2012 at 8:50 am

thats a TON of water…holy moley.

xoxo from Trinidad

10 Marion October 9, 2012 at 9:37 am

Way to go! Keep up the great work! You’ve inspired me to set up some of my own goals for the week ahead. A great start to the aftermath of Thanksgiving;)

11 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny jeans October 9, 2012 at 11:07 am

#ipromise to limit my sugar intake to 35g or less everyday this week
#ipromise to eat clean healthy meals and snacks
#ipromise to drink at least 2.5L of water per day
#ipromise to sweat for at least 45 minutes 4 times this week
#ipromise to limit my night time snacking

I love Thanksgiving and I think we are doing round two this week or next so I’d better keep my promises all week so I can indulge..again :)

12 Lori Cipolla October 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

OMG!!!!! I loved this post !!!!! You soooo cracked me up :-)))) It’s awesome to see such honesty , mixed with great humor and still willingness to be dedicated and motivated to go forward . Gotta luv Ya Christina :-))))))

13 Ed October 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Alright now all your promises have been noted…now you have to stick with them! You have several acountabilibuddies (south park reference) here to make it happen!

14 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Eh, life goes on right?

15 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Hey, Thanksgiving is meant to be enjoyed!! :D

16 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean October 10, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I LOVE your honesty. Seriously, one of my fav things about you. XO – and btw you’re adorable! And I totally think getting the right water bottle helps with water consumption ;-)

17 marisol October 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

mmmm David’s Tea. It’s become a daily habit for me. I am following the iPromise challenge as well. You had a bad week. Just try to make this one a better one. To me that’s what the challenge is about.