This is what works for me

Happy weekend!  A lot of people ask me what I do to stay motivated or what tricks I have to make sure I don’t skip workouts.  Though I’m not perfect, I thought I would put together a list of some things that keep me on track most of the time! ;)

1.  My accountability partner, Electra.  We have been killing #OperationLean and text each other every day to help one another stay on track.  Yes, she’s in a different country and no, we’ve never met but this works!  Find someone to hold you accountable to your workouts so you’re less likely to skip them!

2.  Going to sleep in workout clothes.  This might sound weird but I do it.  My alarm is set for 4:30am nearly every day so that I can get my sweat on before work.  If I’m not dressed, I will most likely not work out.  I can barely walk in a straight line in the morning, don’t ask me to dress myself!  Don’t forget to layer socks and sweaters when it’s cold!

3.  Knowing it will make my day go way smoother.  Starting the morning with a good sweat session makes me feel amazing.  If I start my day off amazing, the remainder of it should (and usually does) follow suit.  I’m all about going into each day with a good mood and smile plastered on my face.

4.  FOOD!  Knowing that I consistently do what’s best for my body gives me a green light to indulge and have fun when I choose to!  I am not going to lie and say clean food is all I eat and I never crave junk food.  If you know me, you are well aware I can polish off a family sized bag of chips or half a pizza.  Or both.  At the same time.  Point is, I can do it on occasion and not want to kill myself exercising for six hours the next day.

5.  Keeping it FUN.  I have accumulated quite a few pieces of home fitness equipment that have kept my workouts interesting.  My pink sandbag, Ugi ball, Lebert Equalizers, treadmill, and free weights definitely keep exercising far from boring.  Variety is the key to having fun.  If you’re not having fun, you won’t do it.  Switch up your routine, try a group fitness class, experiment with different equipment, etc.

6.  Reaching goals.  Whether it’s a race, a fitness competition, weight loss, muscle-building, or wanting to be healthy – SET. A .GOAL!  Waking up and working towards that goal will only make reaching it even sweeter.  Put in the hard work, reap the rewards, and celebrate when you get there.  The Tough Mudder was huge for me.  I thought I could never do it and now that I have, I feel like I can do anything!

I think that’s it for now!  I hope you all have a fabulous weekend!  I’m starting mine off with a good sweat…surprised? ;)

What is the #1 thing you do to stay motivated or on track?

Comments

WOW 4:30 !!! I’m admirative !!! to stay motivated, I look myself in the mirror haha :D … more seriously I’m setting myself a goal (now it’s a 14,7 km race in october) and I’m really working on my 6 packs :) … and as you said I’m trying to keeping it fun by starting to play badminton every monday , soooooo cooool !!!
    ;)

Electra much be the best accountablity partner ever – that girl is a machine!

I know what you mean about Tough Mudder – after I did the one in ATL, I knew there wasn’t much I couldn’t accomplish if I put my mind to it.

Loving following your progress!

Lisa Murphy says

This is awesome….I too have started wearing the work out clothes to bed. The morning workout now is key for me. I need it to keep me going and sane for the workday.

Dean Joseph says

That’s great inspiration right there. If could get a morning workout instead of a an evening one; my neighborhood would be in trouble. I think that morning workouts are awesomer than evening ones…

AHHH LOOVEE IT LADY! Way to go girl – so proud of you. I need to sleep in loose clothes but I seriously loveee that you sleep in workout clothes. I knew you did from when you’ve posted about it before but I need to tell you that that’s AWESOME!

LOVE this and LOVE you! :D I think life’s all about finding what works for you and your individual needs. Thank goodness everyone isn’t some kind of identical robot haha imagine how boring life would be!

Sailor says

Love the inspiration. I work half the year on a ship and really have to force myself to get a work out in on some days. Your blog keeps me going. Thank you.

I only work three days a week, so at least one of those days is a rest day and sometimes two of them depending on the week, the other day(s) I work I come home and do a 15-20 HIIT workout. Makes me feel so much more energized after work. If I get off work a little early I might throw in a couple easy miles or time on the elliptical.

Great job staying motivated! I love that you sleep in your workout clothes, I will bring mine to work some days so I can change into them when I leave work, makes it so much easier to be motivated when you are already dressed!

Good for you for getting up super early for those morning workouts! It makes the day so much better!
    I think we all vary in what works for us, and it just takes some time to find the right things. Excited to follow your progress! Your already rocking it. And Electra is awesome, perfect accountability partner:)

Mandi says

I’m so glad that you practice moderation with your diet and exercise! While of course I think that eating healthy (and working out) is important, we shouldn’t obsess about it… some people don’t realize that health is more than just physical – it’s mental and emotional, too. After all, you are supposed to consume the food, don’t let the food consume you! Just wondering, how many hours of sleep do you usually get? I like the idea of waking up early in the morning to work out but I have been going to bed way too late recently :(

way to go girl!! haha…omg, i will openly say i sleep in running clothes too! hey, if it’s between that extra half minute of sleep so i can literally roll out that much sooner i’m IN!! :)
    hope u’re having a wonderful night!

I think signing up for races is definitely what keeps me motivated. I always have that goal in mind. Plus, I don’t want to waste the $80 race fee!

Rogelio says

Hi! I liked the pic of you going to sleep in your workout clothes. I do that too from time to time. Just wanted to share that with you. Cheers!