Operation Lean and Good Luck, Q!

by Christina @ The Athletarian on September 21, 2012

There is something really special that is happening next month that I can’t tell you about just yet but it is going to involve some serious dedication and planning over the next few weeks.   Electra and I have decided to hold each other accountable with our food and fitness and I couldn’t have asked for a better partner.  She recently wrote a post about her goal to lean out so all of her hard-earned muscle can POP so we are blazing through the next few weeks eating #realfood and undergoing #operationlean (all while using those hashtags on Instagram and Twitter).

Me and my accountability partner on a recent Skype date!

My workouts are going to be cranked up a notch with a lot more cardio and HIIT taining.  I am thinking morning cardio (running) and afternoon HIIT training (using my Ugi ball, Ultimate Sandbag, and Lebert Equalizers).

Food-wise, I am continuing to Strike Sugar until further notice (forever would be nice!) with no slip-ups this time!!!  Please put all of your goodies away if you invite me over, okay?  It’s all about real food: whole grains, veggies, fruits, nuts, and seeds are going to be my staples.  I will be experimenting with different ways of getting protein in as well.  I’m not sure what that means yet but I am going to see if there is a way to get some in!

I am so excited that I have a goal to work towards and can’t wait to share it with all of you (and no, it’s not a photo shoot)!

I also wanted to wish my friend Quinton good luck this weekend!  He is running the Montreal Marathon and I know he is going to rock it!  He is so dedicated in his training (like running 20 miles to work is normal for him) so I think he’ll be juuuuuuust fine!

Go get it, Q!  You are going to be amazing!!  And maybe you can teach me how to shave an hour of my marathon time when you get back! ;)

What is your main source of protein?

Do you have any races coming up?

1 Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt September 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Ahhh!! I wanna know the deets!!!! Whatever it is, you can do this!!

2 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Thank you!! You will find out soon :)

3 Ed September 21, 2012 at 5:10 pm

You two ladies combined sounds like trouble or some serious fitness happening!

My main source of protein is protein powder, well that and eggs…gotta love eggs!

4 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Hmmm trouble or fitness…maybe a little bit of both! ;)

5 Heather September 21, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Are you doing the Go Fit Gals 6 week plan?

6 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Nope! I have never heard of that! :)

7 Q September 21, 2012 at 5:49 pm

…sunnuva.
I was trying to sneak out to Montreal to eat some poutine. The marathon was just an excuse to get there.
Thanks for the positive vibes…i’ll bring you back some…errrr nevermind. You need to stay focussed on this thing you call “eating clean”.

8 Christina @ The Athletarian September 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Haha yes…that thing called eating clean. Listen, whether you went for the race or the poutine, I still want you to punch that marathon in the face. Remember, “If you can dream it, you can do it”……… ;)

9 Nadège September 21, 2012 at 5:58 pm

My main source of protein is low fat “fromage blanc” or “fromage frais” (don’t know the equivalent in english, it’s thicker than a greek yogurt but less than cottage or curd cheese … ??? well full of protein with 0% fat ! ^^)
My next race is a 14km on october !!! I’m working on it ;)

10 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I have never heard of that kind of cheese!! I wonder if I would like it? I hate the texture of cottage cheese so maybe this would be good for me. I will look into it! ;)

11 Sandy September 21, 2012 at 6:52 pm

You can handle any challenge!! You are so fit and I think you are such an inspiration to everyone. I am dying to hear the news. All I can say is that you deserve whatever it may be! I hope it’s the news I have been waiting for since that would take lots of dedication and planning!!

12 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Aw thanks, Sandy!! You will find out soon and NO we are not engaged! I told you you’d be the first to know when that happens!! ;)

13 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 21, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I just NEED to join in on this!! I have not been accountable to myself and have been making way too many excuses to eat badly and skip the gym.

I want to try to drastically reduce my sugar intake as well and up the training, especially HIIT.

Can’t wait to see how you do with this and I am excited for the news :)

14 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:11 pm

I know exactly what you mean. There was a week where I barely even moved! After I got this phone call though, I knew I had to whip myself into shape and put myself in high year. You will find out soon but in the meantime let’s do our best to give our bodies what they need!

15 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes September 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm

You guys can do it! Once you stop eating sugar it’s so easy. My main source of protein is animal! It’s what works for me :)

16 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:12 pm

You are so right. The first few weeks are difficult but once you get passed that, it’s easy street!

17 Felicia September 22, 2012 at 7:38 am

you ladies are awesome! i wont be joining, but i’ll be doing operation #buildmoremuscle :) i actually want to do a 5k this fall just for fun- its been a while and i’m curious to see how i would do!

18 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm

You’re already a mean lean machine so I don’t blame you for not joining!! You’re still in operation mode and that’s what counts!! I’m curious about your 5K too!! That’s so exciting!

19 Lisa September 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

I’m totally looking forward to this! :) I’d love to join in, that is if you are forming a virtual group. I was just talking to some of the fitness instructors I work with this morning and we all said we need to find some way to stay motivated with the winter months around the corner. We busy motivating our clients but we need motivation for ourselves! lol

I try to get a variety of protein in my diet, from eggs, yogurt, chicken, once in awhile red meat, and plant protein sources such as tofu, seeds/nuts/legumes. Have a great weekend! :)

20 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:15 pm

OF COURSE you can join in!! All you have to do is use the same hashtags (#operationlean and #realfood). Feel free to tag me and/or Electra on IG as well! Everyone is welcome to our party!

Variety is key to staying on the eat clean wagon and I commend you for having so many sources of protein in your diet! Happy Saturday! xoxo

21 Lisa September 22, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Good luck, sounds like great things are coming:)
And I also had no idea until now you lived in Canada! Yay another Canadian blogger.

22 Christina @ The Athletarian September 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thanks, Lisa!! And YES, I am from Toronto, ON!! Where are you from?

23 Lisa September 22, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Oh, I love it there! My Aunt lives there, actually.
I’m from Victoria!

24 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean September 22, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I am PSYCHED, PSYCHED, PSYCHED. We are going to rock this lady!!! XOXOXOXOX

25 Christina @ The Athletarian September 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’m SO excited, you don’t even know!!! Actually, you probably do!!!!! We should Skype again soon!!

26 Connie September 22, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Ahh can I join in on this #operationlean?!! I need my muscles to POPPPP too ;) I’m content with how clean I eat now, but I feel like if I had accountability, I could do way better!!

27 Christina @ The Athletarian September 23, 2012 at 2:51 pm

OF COURSE YOU CAN!! Do you have instagram?? Tag us @the_athletarian and @vblean and use #operationlean! That’s all we are doing! I’ll be updating on my blog as well! Hope you had a great weekend, Connie!!

28 Connie September 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

YES, @connie_du! Can’t wait to see/hear about everyone’s progress :D Hope you had a great weekend too!

29 Cait the Arty Runnerchick September 23, 2012 at 7:44 pm

ooh, i’m excited to hear bout the big news coming up soon!
my top picks for protein are egg beaters, tuna and shrimp. the egg beaters are awesome because one of the 16 oz containers have about 45 g of protein and only 240 cal’s. they are super easy to make an omelet or pop in the micro…i swear the micro thing works! :)

30 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate September 23, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Can’t wait to hear what it is :)

31 Jackie @ Identity Undecided September 24, 2012 at 5:50 am

Is it bad to make my #operationlean reason because I’m going on vaca to Hawaii in 2 weeks? If not then I’m with you…oh and I have a race next weekend! Only a sprint tri but it’s the last one of the season so I gotta go out with a bang (and hopefully a medal!). Lastly…protein…being a gluten free vegan my go to protein are chia/hemp/pea protein powder, tempeh, and beans. :) You are so fun to follow…got get your goal girl, you are awesome!