WIAW: Fall into good habits!

by Christina @ The Athletarian on September 5, 2012

The amazing Jenn has come up with another amazing these for WIAW this month: FALL into good habits!  Time to make some new goals and FALL into good habits this month!  So along with showing you what I eat on these days, I will also be sharing a goal I wish to accomplish or a habit I hope to develop!  FUN, right?!  One huge goal of mine is to stick to Strike Sugar September 100%.  It’s been going great so far and I’m going to keep on pushing through.

For my eats, today was a weird day in terms of appetite.  I didn’t eat as many times as I usually do (5-6) but I didn’t find myself very hungry.  I woke up and did a fasted hill training session which took me about 45 minutes on the treadmill.  I can’t really eat before I run unless I have at least 2 hours for my food to digest and I had things to do today so I had to get it done FAST!  After my run I had to scurry to my grandmother’s house so I could take her to the doctor so I grabbed some quick food:

I know, not the best fuel after a 45-minute sweat session but it worked.  I literally had zero minutes to prepare anything!  After the appointment I wanted something sweet (what else is new?!) so I decided to make a GINORMOUS vegan pancake (the size of a PLATE!) and topped it with Powercakes’ chia jam (and coconut flakes)!  I had never tried this jam before but kept seeing it on her Instagram and I am SO happy I finally did.  This meal was heavenly.  I will try and post the pancake recipe tomorrow but you can find her chia jam recipe here.

Then it was time to hang out with my puppy!  It really is the best part of my day.  We went for a walk and only about 19 people stopped us today to pet him.  We met Dean at his work, went to go check out a puppy training place, bought some new teas at David’s Tea (!!!), and then decided on Chipotle for dinner even though I can make a better one at home! ;)

I got the vegetarian bowl and it was extremely delicious.  Lots of rice and beans are hiding under all that lettuce!  Hats off to you, Mr. Chipotle.  You make some good guac.

Now it’s time for some Insanity and then I will eat again (wahoo!) but my PWO meal is still undecided…

Now I know I don’t eat a lot of protein.  I have a feeling a lot of people are going to comment on that.  This is what works for me though.  When I was doing James Wilson’s program, I talked to him about it and he said as long as I am getting in enough healthy fats to keep me satiated, I will be 100% fine.  Almonds, chia seeds, coconut, olive oil, etc.  I LOVE FAT.

What’s the best thing you ate today??

Favourite healthy fat?

1 Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt September 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I love Powercakes’ chia jam! She’s genius. I’ve also found myself majorly decreasing my protein, I just don’t like it much and I find it bloats me up like no other. My body seems happy as a clam with more carbs!

2 Christina @ The Athletarian September 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Haha story of my life. Carbs day in and day out! I love them and no one can STOP ME!

3 Kristen September 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I love your site, so much fun! Can you please share your hill training session? Thanks!

4 Christina @ The Athletarian September 5, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Hi Kristen! Thank you so much! I am training for a half marathon right now so once a week I try to do some hill training. Since I don’t have any big hills near my home, I do it on my TM so I can easily adjust the incline. Today I had 8 hills scheduled so I would run for 0.25 miles flat, then the next 0.25 miles I would crank up the incline (and kept repeating this)! So basically I was climbing two hills every mile. I repeated this until I climbed 8 hills in total! That’s it! It was tough but a great workout. I tend to run at a slower pace during hill workouts or else I would probably die!

Hope you had a great day!

5 Kristen September 5, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Awesome! Sounds hard and I can’t wait to try it. Thank you for sharing!

6 Christina @ The Athletarian September 5, 2012 at 11:10 pm

You are very welcome!

7 Susan September 5, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Mmmm, I love Chipotle’s guac! The best thing I ate today were the blueberries I had with breakfast :)

8 Alexandra September 6, 2012 at 5:19 am

I’m so stoked for that pancake recipe– that looks so delicious!!! I made Kasey’s jam the other day for the first time too and I’M OBSESSED!!! SO yummy :)

9 lindsay September 6, 2012 at 6:54 am

whoa whoa whoa, pass the fork. And the pancake recipe. And the chia jam, and well the FAT! Love it!

10 Jenn @ Run It My Way September 6, 2012 at 7:29 am

Yummm it all looks so good!!

11 Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body September 6, 2012 at 7:55 am

That pancake looks so great, I can’t wait for the recipe :) I love fruit+almonds for a snack, I usually go for an apple though :) My favourite fat…it’s to hard to decide on just one, but probably tahini!

12 Siobhan McCarthy.ca September 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

That chia jam looks SO good! Can’t wait for the pancake recipe!!!
All I’ve eaten today has been oatmeal so I guess that’s the best yet! haha

13 Kasey Arena September 6, 2012 at 9:11 am

OMG I LOVE FATS!! ;] I used to fear them but now my body embraces them!! love the CHIA JAM shout out! thank you!!

14 Nikki @ Road To Less Cake September 6, 2012 at 9:22 am

Just dropping by (a little late) from WIAW. Oh my goodness that pancake looks amazing. Please post the recipe.

15 Christina @ The Athletarian September 8, 2012 at 12:46 pm
16 Tink September 6, 2012 at 9:31 am

That pancake looks awesome! My favorite healthy fats come from almonds and chickpeas. I loooooove hummus!

17 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

Great eats! PB is hands-down my all-time fav healthy fat.

BTW, the pancake looks great, especially since you said it was ginormous. :)

18 Dean Joseph September 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

That’s a cool title! Feeling the wordplay there. Keep up the awesome work!

19 Krysten @DarwinianFail September 6, 2012 at 9:47 am

OOOOHHH That all looks yummy! Definitely have to check out this pancake recipe!

20 Ed September 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That salad looks pretty tasty!

21 Pavement Runner September 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm

rounded out the day nicely with some healthy eats. Nicely done.

I love almonds, walnuts, cashews, pistachios… i guess any kind.

22 Christina @ The Athletarian September 8, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Mmmm pistachios!!! How could I forget about those?!?!

23 Kristin @ My Mission Impossible September 7, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE FAT TOO! That is all. xo

24 Jackie @ Identity Undecided September 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I officially just bookmarked that chia jam recipe and am highly debating going into the kitchen to whip some up now for tomorrow morning! Thanks for the link! P.S…I think most athletes who don’t eat a ton of protein get questions about it…but I really think (after reading a ton of research on it) that we don’t need as much as everyone thinks we do…ya know? I’m with ya girl!

25 Christina @ The Athletarian September 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

THANK YOU for that comment!! We really don’t need as much as people say!! I was also vegan for a little while and I was 100% fine. Let me know if you try the chia jam!!

26 Jackie @ Identity Undecided September 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I made it…it’s setting in the fridge! Chek out my IG @identityundecided I posted a pic of the yumminess in a mason jar!

27 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 8, 2012 at 11:35 am

You are proof that you don’t need a lot of protein to look fierce!!

28 Meg September 10, 2012 at 6:24 am

My favourite healthy fat is definitely AVOCADO :) I can never get enough avocado :) NEVER EVER.

I can’t remember you doing a WIAW before?? Maybe I’m going crazy, but I loved it :)