I like it TROPICAL!

by Christina @ The Athletarian on September 4, 2012

Thank you for all of the nice comments on my last post.  You all know how to make a girl feel extra special on her birthday weekend! ;)  I hope you all had an amazing long weekend!  After my indulgent day on Saturday, it was back to the grind first thing on Sunday morning.  I woke up, ate breakfast, and headed out for an 8-mile run.  I don’t know what’s gotten into me lately, but I am not nearly as fast as I was at this time last year.  I don’t think I will be setting a PR in October’s half marathon, but I’m okay with that.  After my run I refuelled with this:

YUMMY!  I blended frozen strawberries and bananas with almond milk, VEGA’s Energizing Smoothie, and chia seeds.  The combination was delicious but topping it with unsweetened shredded coconut brought it over the top!  I don’t know about you but bananas + coconut = the tropics for me!

This week also marks the beginning of week two of Insanity.  Week one went really well but I decided I need to improvise a little in order to make it work in conjunction with my running plan.  I am eliminating the “cardio recovery” day right now so that I can have a day off to rest and recover completely.  If I don’t, I would be doing Insanity Monday-Satuday, with only Sunday off…but Sunday is my long run day and I definitely don’t want to be exercising every day.  So sorry, Shaun T but you we only get to hang out five days a week from now on.

The rest of my long weekend was spent with my two favourite boys.  Princeton’s new thing to do is sleep on Dean’s lap while he is driving.  So safe, I know.

I couldn’t have asked for a better way to spend the last three days! :)

What is your favourite shake/smoothie combination?

How many days a week do you take to rest and recover?

1 Krysten Siba Bishop (@darwinianfail) September 4, 2012 at 9:09 am

YAY! You guys look so happy! What a great weekend!

PS Puppy date soon! xox

2 Briana September 4, 2012 at 9:53 am

First of all…. HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY!! Looks like you had an awesome birthday weekend.

Second of all… your dog is ADORABLE!! So is Dean. ; )

My favorite smoothie combo is blueberries + milk (either almond or cow) + ice + spinach + honey + chia seeds. Honestly… I throw all sorts of weird stuff in my smoothies and they generally come out good. Mint + ice + watermelon + greek yogurt + honey = weird combo BUT AWESOME!

3 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny jeans September 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

I think skipping the Recovery session is the perfect solution. It’s good for stretching and core work but as long as you are doing that on other days you could definitely benefit more from the rest!!

Whoohooo to week two!!

4 Ed September 4, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Happy belated bday! Looks like it was great!

My favorite smoothy combo is one scoop vanilla protein powder, 8 oz milk, half avocado, banana, 2 ice cubes….makes an amazing shake!

Cute pup btw!

5 Boston Bound Brunette September 4, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Insanity is tough! I have never tried it and know some people who have and it’s tough! The recovery smoothie looks delish! I have to give it a try! Princeton is just too cute. I take my pups in the car with me too and they sit on my lap just like Princeton. I guess I am an unsafe pet owner too ..hehehe!!

6 Alex @ therunwithin September 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I still can’t get over how freaking cute your puppy is, so adorable.

7 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean September 5, 2012 at 12:36 am

You’re such a smart lady, love that you’re making a rest day work – you rock! And looook at those legs on you ;-)

8 Siobhan McCarthy.ca September 5, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Rest days are key! Right now I have one official rest day a week but I also consider my stretch and foam roll day a (kind of) rest day. It just doesn’t take very much energy to do!

9 Rachelle September 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Sounds like an absolutely perfect weekend. I am in love with your outfit in the last picture. So classy and sheek! I never make shakes or smoothies…maybe I should start because it looks delicious.

10 Elaine September 9, 2012 at 1:16 am

I commend you on making Insanity work with your half marathon training. Insanity will give you what hills repeats and speed work at a track would provide. Yay for the rest day. Take it with pride. I  my Tropical Shakeology with unsweet almond milk, extra chia seeds and ice. My fav post run refreshment!!
Have you tried Shakeology yet?