What is “allowed”?

by Christina @ The Athletarian on August 31, 2012

Happy Friday!!!  I was so happy to see that a lot of people are jumping on board with the Strike Sugar Movement!  Now I have been getting a lot of questions about what is “allowed” so I dug deep and checked out Tosca’s “Sugar!” post on her blog from back in January.  She talks about how sugar is the “legal cocaine” so if you have time, go check out her post!  To make it easy, I put this little chart together to show you what is and what isn’t “Tosca-approved”:

www.theathletarian.com

So you will see that there are a lot of options to use as sweeteners BUT like Tosca says on her own post, these still have to be consumed in moderation.  Basically, don’t go eating a whole bunch of bananas or chugging maple syrup, mmmk?  Sweeten you tea with some honey, drizzle some maple syrup on your pancakes, and you won’t die.

YES, YOU CAN EAT FRUIT!  That was a big one for me.  I freaking love fruit and when I hear people say they eat half a fruit a day or even no fruit at all, it drives me insane.  Fruit is beautiful.  It is healthy.  It is delicious.  Eat it and enjoy it.

Princeton says hi.  He hates all sweet things (including fruit – crazy dog) so he should be good to go for the month of September! ;)

Please let me know if you have any other questions about Sugar Strike September!

What do you think is going to be/would be the hardest thing for you to give up?

Are you a fan of nutella?

1 Lynsie August 31, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Hey!
What about Xylitol?

2 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Hi Lynsie!! I am actually finding out RIGHT NOW! I knew people would ask and even I use that sometimes so I am ON IT, don’t you worry!! I think it should be okay since it is naturally occuring but I want to make sure 100%!

3 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 31, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I cut sugar long ago! It’s amazing how it sneaks into nearly EVERYTHING. for the most part, I avoid the syrups and honeys too. However, I do think fruit is an important part of a healthy diet! As a sub to sweeten smoothies and pancakes I like to use stevia or xylitol.

4 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I agree! It’s crazy! Fruit is the best and I eat it every single day. Stevia and xylitol are my go-to forms of sweeteners too! :)

5 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner August 31, 2012 at 3:39 pm

This list is great! I am totally guilty off way too much sugar in my diet. I’m trying to eat a little healthier for the next few weeks (I’m running a half at the end of Sept. and would like to be properly fueled!) and maybe, MAYBE I can try to stick with this at least until then!

6 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Hahaha I totally think you can! Just a little detox from all the gummy bears from HTC!!!

7 Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach August 31, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’m IN! I’ve done a sugar detox before and realized how prominent sugar is in so many every day foods! I kicked it and felt great but haven’t been paying as close attention lately. I need a reboot so this is a great opportunity!

Do I like Nutella? I’m Italian, it runs through my veins. LOL

8 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Yay! And I’m half Italian so I’ve got some nutella in my veins too! ;)

9 christa August 31, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I heart nutella and maple syrup, and all things sweet.

10 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Haha don’t we all!!

11 Lori Cipolla August 31, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Hi Christina ! I am just psyched there is a YES list !!
It sounds fair enough to me :-) )) . As far as nutella goes , 2 of my 5 kids are highly allergic to hazelnut ! So it’s a no go in my house.
Love your posts !!!

12 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Lucky!! Your kids will never get addicted to that crack!! I love when you comment, Lori! Thank you! I hope you are enjoying your cookbook!

13 Elle August 31, 2012 at 6:38 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for Saturday… whew! Didn’t want to forget that!

I think sugar is sugar whether it is honey or corn syrup. I don’t see how you can allow all that sweet stuff and call it a sugar strike…. perhaps a PROCESSED sugar strike… just my opinion.

I wish you well with it… I am loving my copy of the ECD vegetarian cookbook.. it has some wonderful recipes in it!

14 MDK August 31, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Elle-i agree with you on the sugar thing: rapadura=sugar•honey=sugar•maple syrup=sugar etc. We really need to wean ourselves from ANY sweetener that is added to our food. I’ve convertedto Stevia but am still trying to cut that!

15 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Hi Elle and MDK! I like your idea about calling it a “processed sugar strike”, Elle! I agree with you two. They are all still forms of sugar, just some are natural and some are not. I think this challenge will be great for those who regularly consume refined sugars as part of their diet. It is a good way to teach people to read labels and see that sugar hides everywhere!!! For those starting out, Tosca’s approved list is a great way to begin their journey to sugar-free! Thanks for your comments, ladies (and for the birthday wishes, Elle!).

16 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 31, 2012 at 8:02 pm

Awesome!! I LOVE fruit. It’s the best!

17 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Same!! I could eat it all day!

18 Brittany August 31, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I was wondering if Agave fell into that list. I know it’s become a bit of a contraversy, but I continue to use it because I am unsure of which side of the fence I fall on.

19 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Hi Brittany! If you read Tosca’s post that I linked up above, she talks a bit about agave on there. I’m not an expert on it, but I’ve read so many conflicting articles that I just started to avoid it as best as I can!!

20 Lg August 31, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I agree with the previous poster. I thought the challenge was to cut out all sugar? If you already eat clean there is no extra challenge.

21 Christina @ The Athletarian August 31, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hi Lg! Of course in a perfect world we would all eat 100% clean and be able to avoid all things sweet!! This challenge is just meant for those who consume refined sugars on a regular basis and may need a little help or motivation :) Like Tosca says, those natural sugars should still be consumed in moderation. Thanks for your comment! I hope you have a great long weekend!

22 Ali Mc September 1, 2012 at 9:37 am

I love pdog! He’s the cutest small dog I’ve ever seen and I LOVE that his spiky hair is growing back. He looks badass again :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (again) and I am happy those things are allowed. I already instagramed a pic of my morning oatmeal, the only sweetener being a FRESH PEACH! YUM!!!!

23 Christina @ The Athletarian September 2, 2012 at 11:00 am

I didn’t even know you had Instagram!! I added you :)

24 Meg September 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I seriously want to participate in this, but don’t even use the allowed sugars except fruit and stevia :( I’m so lame. Sorry babe. However, I do want to try a few recipes that call for molasses :) Maybe that’ll be a nice challenge for me :)

25 Christina @ The Athletarian September 2, 2012 at 11:01 am

Yes! I can’t wait to check the recipes out!! Try some with maple syrup too. So delicious!

26 Kiley @ DVF September 1, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Happy Birthday! (it’s my sister’s b-day too!) I love fruit too…particularly loving the blueberries these days.

27 Christina @ The Athletarian September 2, 2012 at 11:01 am

Thanks girl! I am obsessed with blueberries too!

28 Sherry September 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm

My hardest will be 8 ounce fountain coke. Any recommendations. Love the fizz. Hate diet.

29 Sophie @ Love Live & Learn September 2, 2012 at 5:09 am

Although I won’t be joining in completely as I am going to be doing a fair amount of traditional baking this month but excluding homemade baked goods I am going to making a real effort to cut back on refined sugars! I will of course still be eating fruit, like you I adore fresh fruit and I refuse to see it as bad for me if I eat it sensibly :-)

P.s. Princeton is so cute!

30 Christina @ The Athletarian September 2, 2012 at 11:02 am

Sounds great! We all have to start somewhere! Homemade baked goods are the best :)

Princeton says thank you ;)

31 Jamie September 2, 2012 at 10:22 am

I think giving up my sugar free vanilla syrup from. Starbucks is gonna be the killer for me.. I rarely eat anything from a box. But I need to check!

32 Christina @ The Athletarian September 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

Yeah I know that syrup is sugar-free but I am not quite sure what the ingredients are. It’s probably a chemical concoction of fake sugars to make it taste super delicious! You can do it though! I know you can :)

33 Monica September 2, 2012 at 10:56 am

Palm Flower Nectar organic coconut sugar low glycemic only 15 calories per teaspoon :)

34 Christina @ The Athletarian September 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

Ooooh yum! I will look into that! Thank you :)

35 Amy September 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I was wondering about organic coconut palm sugar myself (comes right from the coconut and is not processed), I like to use it in baked recipes, otherwise I use stevia. I was using agave for baked goods instead of honey too, but cutting back b/c everyone saying too much controversy.

36 Christina @ The Athletarian September 5, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I’ve actually never tried coconut sugar but I’m going to look into it. A lot of people have been recommending it!

37 Jenny Levitt September 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Eating “gluten-free” makes it somewhat easier! #strikesugar

38 Christina @ The Athletarian September 5, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Way to go, Jenny!!

39 Lo September 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

What about Agave? I know Tosca Reno is no the fence about that one recently. Do you suggest to just leave that one entirely out?
By the way I love Nutella, I am from France and grew up eating that for my 4 o’clock (after school) snack on baguette. I now stay away from it and have it on rare occasions.

40 Christina @ The Athletarian September 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hi Lo!! Yes, I would leave it out only because there is so much uncertainty. This was on Tosca’s blog:
“Agave nectar is a sugar substitute that is hotly debated right now due to its processed nature. I initially recommended it in many of my early books. Now, I am a little more cautious about its use due to its controversial nature. My concern is, that the way to get the Agave Nectar into a edible format requires so much refining that the result is a high level of highly refined fructose – similar to High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS).”
I hope that helps!!

And I agree – Nutella is AMAZING!!

41 Phil Lawrence September 6, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I saw “yacon” on the yes list and read it as “bacon.” Got real excited there for a minute. :-)

42 GiGi Eats Celebrities September 7, 2012 at 12:47 am

NO sweets for GiGi EXCEPT Stevia!! I even made a video on my love for the stuff, ha ha ha! I haven’t had sugar or any of it’s other buddies in 10 years, how nuts is that!!! Not even one little taste either.

43 Kim Whitbeck September 15, 2012 at 11:00 am

I realize it’s late into the month but this post has been the push I need to finally cut out sugar, at least for two weeks to stop the horrible cravings :) I’ve been thinking about doing it for a while, but your little chart/guide with the “acceptable” forms of sugar is what made me come back to the idea- because it makes the process seem more manageable knowing that I can eat natural forms of sugar :)