I’M ON STRIKE!

by Christina @ The Athletarian on August 30, 2012

September starts in just TWO DAYS!  Do you know what that means??  My BIRTHDAY!!  Just kidding.  Well, not really.  My birthday really is on September 1st (Saturday) but that day also marks the start of Strike Sugar September!

Who has consumed more than enough sugar this summer?  I know I have.  It’s not like I eat a lot of it, but with summer tends to come more fro-yo and ice cream than usual.  I’m ready to kick it to the curb but let’s be honest, I will probably start on September 2nd.  Sugar may or may not make it’s way into my body on Saturday and I’m not going to hold back, especially if Dean gets me those milk chocolate salted caramels that he promised.  My birthday cake is going to be a little different though.  I’m not a big cake person anyway, so I have decided I am going to make this:

It’s the Ooey Gooey Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding from The Eat Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook.  Theresa made it when the book first came out and I have been dying to try it ever since.  Paired with vanilla ice cream and I think we have a dessert from heaven!  Shhh don’t tell Tosca! ;)

There is also a contest going on where you can win a pretty amazing prize pack.  All you have to do is take a photo with Instagram to show how you are striking sugar from your Eat Clean Diet meals (don’t forget to tag @eatcleandiet).  You can read more about the contest here.  The prizes are pretty awesome so go check them out!

Throughout the month I will be posting some recipes, ideas for sugar alternatives, ways to beat cravings, and even my own personal experience with cutting sugar.

Sooo…the big question is WHO IS IN?!

What is your favourite kind of cake?

1 Lindsey August 30, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Happy early birthday! Mine is September 12th :) I am not a cake fan but LOVE ice cream cakes from DQ!

2 Ed August 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Good luck on the sugar strike! I know it can be tough. I did the same thing in the beginning of the year, but once you make it through it isn’t that bad…

That bread pudding looks fantastic…wish i had some myself!

3 Christy @My Dirt Road Anthem August 30, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Hope you have a great birthday! I tried quitting sugar once I think it had the opposite effect, so I am going for low sugar these days and do much better on it.

4 Sandy August 30, 2012 at 6:42 pm

My birthday is the 7th!! Happy Birthday!! I’m NOT in the sugar strike!! I try to stay low sugar but not no sugar!! I don’t think I can pull it off!!

5 MCM Mama August 30, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I try to stay low/only naturally occurring sugar because my cravings get out of control otherwise. I’m currently suffering from withdrawal from my beer and/or ice cream after dinner habit that I started this summer.

6 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I’m not a huge cake fan, either. I would much rather have that, or ice cream! :D The sugar strike is a good idea! I know most people consume waaaay too much of it. That’s for sure. What counts as sugar, though? Fruit? Stevia? Or am I getting way too deep into this ;)

7 Cindy August 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Hey — MY birthday is in September….the 23rd! I have been ‘good’ but not “really good”….so I am in for the challenge!!!

8 Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt August 30, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Man you make it sound so good! Can I join but omit September 8th and 12th? and 22nd? Hahahah my life.

9 Jenn @ Run It My Way August 30, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Of COURSE I’m in – I adore Tosca/ ECD/ and of course your lovely self :) I have to warn you though.. This will be very hard for me, I consider Skittles to be a core food group! Excited to see your suggestions and alternatives for sugar alternatives! :)

10 Cait the Arty Runnerchick August 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm

good lordy, i saw u say something about this sugar kicking biz on twitter!! u my dear are quite the brave one…i’ll be thinking of ur healthy body detoxing high fructose-moaiernoa- noaenf and all that stuff while mine is..well, toxified! jk ;)

11 Jenny @ The Little JBird August 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

That bread pudding looks amazing! I hope Dean gets you those caramels–yum! Hope you have a wonderful birthday!! :)

12 Q August 31, 2012 at 9:07 am

I’M OUT!

13 Britt@ Chicago Runner Girl August 31, 2012 at 9:37 am

happy early bday! i think that bread pudding looks a lot better than cake, yummy i’m coming over! hope that you have a beautiful day and that dean treats you like a queen ;)

14 Siobhan McCarthy.ca August 31, 2012 at 10:25 am

Happy Early Birthday!!!

That Ooey Gooey Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding looks delicious!! And a side of ice cream? Yes, please! I hope you have the best long weekend birthday ever!

15 KAlex August 31, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’m with you girl!!

16 Sara August 31, 2012 at 12:10 pm

can you post the recipe to that delicious looking cake? and….Happy Birthday!

17 Ali Mc August 31, 2012 at 1:41 pm

what does no sugar mean exactly??? I wanted to join this time ;) but I do eat fruits, and some things have sugar in them. I don’t think I’ll have a problem eating NO white sugar or added sugar though – so if that’s all I have to do I am SURPRISINGLY IN ;) …..going to eat some chocolate right now so I can stop tomorrow ;P

18 Missy September 1, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Okay so I would love to join you in this sugar strike but….wait who am I kidding, I need my candy fix in the afternoons, I don’t think I could give up that! lol
But good luck girl! You definitely inspire others!

19 leslie September 1, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I am definitely in! I have been enjoying the Baked Peach Cobbler Oatmeal from the Eat Clean site for the last couple of days- that’s all the sweet I need. It’s delicious!

20 Ali September 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

I am in!!! Have a bbq today but all the treats I made with Stevia. On this strike are we also doing no “natural” occuring sugars like fruit??? I would be willing to try that for a month, that is if you are doing it….need the support! Lemme know

21 Christina @ The Athletarian September 2, 2012 at 10:56 am

Natural occurring sugars are okay (in moderation)! I recently did another post on what is Tosca-approved for this challenge! Check it out here: http://www.theathletarian.com/2012/08/31/what-is-allowed/

22 Meg September 2, 2012 at 10:31 pm

Baby! HAHA oh this is why I love you. YOU make me laugh. LOVED the way you opened this post. That comment about Dean and the chocolates? PRICELESS. Thanks for the laugh, hunnie :)

I hope your birthday was AWESOME. That picture of you and the bread pudding!? CUTEST EVER. Ahhhh I love you and I hope your birthday was amazing baby :) I was thinking of you ALL day!

I really want to do this challenge with you, girl! I told my Mom about it, too… Maybe I can get her to do it.

23 pappilotta September 4, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I’m so IN! If it’s not too late..? No, can’t be, never to late for ditching sugar!? I’m right at it, starting tomorrow (it’s 10 pm where I live, and I’m off to bed..)

- Sister in Iron, Norway!

24 Kristin @ My Mission Impossible September 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I’m going to try as well…I don’t normally eat sugar in my diet [anymore] for the most part, however, I have been slipping up much more than usual the past two weeks-ish and it’s making me feel crappy, so the Queen has perfect timing!