WIAW: Clean and Dirty

by Christina @ The Athletarian on August 29, 2012

I love reading people’s WIAW posts.  LOVE.  It gives me so many meal ideas.  I think I have only taken part in WIAW once before.  I don’t know why I don’t make it a weekly thing, and I probably should since I get so many emails asking about what I eat.  Maybe it’s just that I don’t think my meals are that exciting?  I don’t know.

Anyway, Jenn, who hosts WIAW every week had a theme for August:

One of my summer staples has been salads.  Why?  They are easy, fast, and don’t usually require any cooking.  Instead of showing you everything I ate in one day, I want to compare two meals I’ve eaten in the last week – one clean, one dirty.

Let’s start with the dirty, shall we?

I see all you Americans (HI!!!) eating Chipotle all the time and though we’ve had it here in Toronto for a while now, I’ve never tried it.  I know, I know…what rock have I been living under??  Anyway, one just opened up at the mall right by my house and so I went there after a shopping trip with my mom and Dean.  This is what I ordered:

Holy heck it was good.  Okay so I didn’t get it as an actual burrito but this thing was still far from healthy.  In the mix was cilantro-lime rice, black beans, veggies, about a cup of guacamole and cheese (no joke – there was SO much), and salsa.  Sure it doesn’t sound so bad but I am almost 100% sure they lace all of their ingredients with some kind of fat-laden substance to make it taste delicious.  Oh, and I just checked the website which estimated my meal to be about 695 calories.  Don’t care.  It was good and it doesn’t happen often.  Let’s move on.

Here is my attempt to re-create my Chipotle experience using 100% clean ingredients:

I had a huge pile of romaine and topped it with black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, salsa, low fat sour cream, a sprinkle of cheddar and some jalepenos.  This was equally as good as the one I had at Chipotle, believe it or not.  WAY healthier, easy to make, and it didn’t cost me $10.  AND I have leftovers so I get to eat it for lunch again today.

I love me some Mexican (inspired) food.  Because this is definitely not real Mexican.

Have you ever eaten at Chipotle?

Do you like Mexican food?

Should I continue with the WIAW posts?

1 Em August 29, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Your re-creation looks fantastic!!

2 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Thanks, Em!

3 Ed August 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I have ate chipotle..I have to say I enjoyed my experiences there until I saw the south park episode that featured them…the one about micheal jackson’s soul being stuck in stan’s little brother’s body? Anyone else see that? enough said! Hehe

4 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Hahaha I don’t watch South Park but if it changes my mind about Chipotle, I don’t think I ever want to!!

5 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner August 29, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Both look tasty to me! I like Moe’s, which I think is kind of similar to Chipotle, with lots of fresh, organic ingredients. My veggie friend and I go there because she can get tofu tacos!

6 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:02 pm

YUM!! I don’t know of any places here that have tofu tacos!! Can I come to Moe’s next time? ;)

7 Tara September 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm

i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you’ve got to check out this article about the ingredients chipotle and moe’s use :( http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2012/08/14/food-babe-investigates-chipotle-vs-moes/ i always thought i was pretty safe with fast-mexican food, since you can look at the salsa and see actual vegetables…but that’s apparently, sadly, a really naive notion these days. definitely check it out!! you’d be amazed what they hide in their food.

8 Christina @ The Athletarian September 8, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Dang it!! Well at least “Chipotle is the lesser of two evils”!! hahaha WOW. Thank you for sharing that! Not impressed.

9 Lindsey August 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Love Chipotle and Mexican food! Their salad bowls are my favorite. We do not have one here but a similar place called Mucho Burrito.

10 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

So yummy! I think I’ve seen Mucho Burrito here too but I’ve never been!

11 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine August 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Chipotle Bowls are on of my favorite things to recreate! They are so quick to assemble and as you said, they are wayyyy cheaper and healthier!

12 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I agree 100%!

13 Sara August 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Yes, yes and YES! love that you re-created it. Mexican can be such a go-to when hosting a bunch of people who don’t eat clean, although I always try to win them over to the dark, I mean right side. ;-)

14 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Mexican is PERFECT to serve just about anyone!! You can trick them into thinking it’s not clean when it really is! Don’t worry, I won’t tell. ;)

15 Sandy August 29, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I love Chipotle but don’t go too often! I get the veggie bowl because I don’t really care for the meat. I eat meat but don’t really like the taste. I also love their chips! I am bad… I know. Keep posting WIAW! I love your fancy food! You remind me to try to eat better!

16 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:05 pm

I didn’t try their chips!! Mmmm I bet they are so good. Next time!

17 Courtney @ Journey of a Dreamer August 29, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Chipotle is awesome, you just really have to be able to practice portion control there, they give you SO MUCH FOOD. I love recreating their burrito bowls. I love WIAW posts also, keep them up!

18 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I agree!! Literally a cup of guacamole in there!! So good though. I will try my best to keep up the WIAW posts! Thank you! :)

19 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I never jumped onto the Chipotle obsession. I felt like I could re-create a better salad at home, which is what you did! Yummy :D

20 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:06 pm

You probably could! You always make the best food!

21 Laura @ Mommy Run Fast August 29, 2012 at 5:02 pm

There is a Chipotle 3 blocks from us, I love their food! But it is easy to over do it- we don’t actually go there very often. Your Chipotle makeover looks delicious!

22 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Thanks, Laura!! And I agree – VERY easy to overdo it!!

23 Amy August 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Yes, keep doing the WIAW! Your food is always creative!!! You should post what you ate for the whole day though so we can get a better idea! :)

24 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Okay!! I will try to do that next week!! Thanks!

25 Alexandra August 29, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Dang that recreation looks like a restaurant dish!! Care to be my chef for life?? I’ll pay you in cookies! :D

26 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I LOVE COOKIES!! So that’s a YES!

27 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom August 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I must be the only person in existence that does not rave over Chipotle. I mean, it’s good but I just don’t think it is THAT good. I would rather have the Mexican inspired salad made at home OR real Mexican food. Luckily, I live in Texas so that option is always there:-)!

28 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Oooh lucky you!!! I agree, real Mexican food is so much better!

29 Jess August 30, 2012 at 6:24 am

I LOVE Chipotle!! If it was not so expensive I would get it more. I have tried to recreate it and it always is good, but there is something about the way it tastes there!! haha:)

30 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I think it’s their rice! Or their guac! Or everything!! Hahaha!

31 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 30, 2012 at 10:48 am

I love Mexican food, but I almost never go to Chipotle. I either go out for Mexi and eat dirty (extra cheeeeeese!) or make it healthy at home. It’s so easy to healthify!

I’m a sucker for WIAW posts. I like them, but I know they’re not for everyone.

32 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Extra cheese is the way to go!! I like reading WIAW posts too! :)

33 BreezyG @ Scrapper11 August 30, 2012 at 11:16 am

I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!

34 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

ME TOO!

35 Laura August 30, 2012 at 11:54 am

Thanks for your post. I LOVE mexican food and am excited to try your re-creation.
The WIAW posts are awesome – I hope you post more.

36 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Thanks so much, Laura!! I will try my best to post them more often!! :)

37 Sonia the Mexigarian August 30, 2012 at 12:00 pm

We get chipotle every now and again. It’s good, clean and healthy. Granted I split my buritto into 2 meals so i don’t over do it in one sitting. Yep, not true Mexican food, but still pretty darn good. :) I tend to get the vegetarian burrito with grilled veggies.

38 Christina @ The Athletarian August 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Of course the Mexigarian likes Chipotle!!! ;) And I agree, even though it’s not “real”, it’s still SO tasty!!

39 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny jeans August 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Umm..I freakin’ LOVE Chipotle!!! In fact, we should have a blogger date there sometime soon and talk about crazy ass Insanity challenge!!

40 Lenka August 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I love Chipotle and Mexican-inspired food. The mixture of guac, salsa, beans, and rice is just amazing. I actually figured through Chipotle’s website that if you get the salad with brown rice, black beans, guac, and salsa (and skip the vinaigrette, it’s not that bad for you. Here’s my post on it: http://www.healthyfitgoddess.com/2012/08/chipotle-or-potbelly.html

41 Debbie September 8, 2012 at 11:22 am

I haven’t made it over to Chipotle’s yet, but has anyone tried the new burrito bowl-type thing at Taco Bell? I heard it is really good veggie style or with the grilled chicken . . . but looking at the stats online!! WHEW!! And I’m sure it’s not clean :) -db