Death by pull ups

by Christina @ The Athletarian on July 11, 2012

Yes, you read that correctly.  Dean and I went to try out Crossfit for the first time yesterday.  The first thing I told our coach was that I was very beginner and I couldn’t do any pull ups just yet so if the workout included any I would have to modify.  He reassured me I would be okay and I got all comfortable and ready to start the workout.  We walked over to the board and the workout of the day (WOD) was called “death by pull ups.”  The workout consisted of nothing else but pull ups.

The warm up was a workout in itself but I enjoyed learning the ‘Crossfit way’ of doing things.

I was so nervous when pull up time came but I was introduced to these fancy bands that you attach to a pull up bar and assist you in pulling your weight up.  One foot goes into the band and it makes it a little easier for people like me:

Source

We had to do one pull up in the first minute, two in the second, three in the third, and keep going until we couldn’t do anymore.  I got to 10 rounds, Dean got to 13 (but he didn’t use any assistance).  I didn’t really feel like I pushed myself as intensely as I could have, probably because pull ups are still so new (and scary) to me.  We are going to try and go back today so I am excited to challenge myself a bit more this time.

***

Exciting news – Vega sent me some samples of their Vega One and Energizing Smoothie.  I have already tried their Energizing Smoothie in two flavours (bodacious berry and tropical tango).  They are so yummy and contain a pretty decent amount of vegan protein (10 grams).

I can’t wait to try out the Vega One as well.  I have heard all about the features and benefits and think it will compliment my diet really well.  They are giving away free samples of their Vega One!  If you are interested in trying it, all you have to do is click here.

Can you do pull ups??  Do you use a band/assisted machine?

Have you tried any Vega products?  What did you think?

1 Kristin @ My Mission Impossible July 11, 2012 at 11:05 am

Yay!! Go girl! That’s great…I wish sooo bad I had a pullup machine at home! That’s one of my goals is to be able to do pushups…keep at it!

2 Amanda Fox July 11, 2012 at 11:08 am

I LOVE VEGA and just tried the packets during my protein powder review last week. I just bought my first tub yesterday! I tried to get the sample but they are all out for distribution in the United States but still has some for Canada! I think I may move up there for a few weeks! :) Great job with the pull ups!

3 Nicole July 11, 2012 at 11:11 am

Great job on the WOD! We have a new Crossfit gy that I am dying to try. I can’t do unassisted pull ups, I really need to work on in because I’d love to have the upper body strength. I signed up for the Vega sample, I’m excited to try it out.

4 Lindsey July 11, 2012 at 11:18 am

I have only tried them once at Crossfit and had to use two bands, and even then I could only do 5.
Vega is my favorite! I find other proteins to be chalky compared to it. I have yet to find a flavor/kind of Vega that I do not like.

5 Jenn @ Run It My Way July 11, 2012 at 11:20 am

Thanks for the heads up about the samples!! I’ve never tried Vega, but I actually just won some from the Colourful Palate from the Smoothie Challenge! I’m really excited to try it, they have so many awesome looking flavours and I’ve been a boring girl with my vanilla and chocolate!

6 Meghan Rene @ Uncooked & UnWalked July 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

Wooo! Peter bought me a pull up bar for our apartment and I cannot even do one. Maybe I should look into this band!

Vega smoothies sound perfect for me sitting here post root canal. Special deliveries accepted :)

7 Jenn's Adventures July 11, 2012 at 11:37 am

Pull ups scare me too, but there was a time I’m super confident, so you’ll get there:)

I’m a huge Vega fan, but it’s the only plant-based/gluten-free/soy-free etc. protein I’ve tried, so I’d really like to get out there and try other options for a full review of everything.

I’ve tried Vega’s Whole Meal Optimizer, which I think is now called ONE, and it takes great!! In fact… I think I need to get on top of that review!!

I haven’t tried the Energizing Smoothies yet though, and they’re so pretty, I want them ALL!!!

<3's

8 Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits July 11, 2012 at 11:43 am

I want to try crossfit so bad!! On my fitfluential bucket list to do this year! I can do pull-ups although I haven’t done them in a while!

9 Pammie July 11, 2012 at 11:56 am

I can do pull ups! My hubby made me a bar and it hangs from the basement ceiling!

MMMMM the VEGA is new to me, but I have been using the post workout recovery and the decadence bars. YUM!!!

GOOD JOB!

10 Britt@ Chicago Runner Girl July 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

pull-ups kick my butt, every time. one day i’ll get em. one day.

11 Joan Watson July 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm

i am very disappointed that i am unable to read any any of your posts because of the pink background. all the writing just blurs into it. it may be different on a larger screen, but i only have an iphone. i do hope you will consider removing the colored background.

12 Christina @ The Athletarian July 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Hi Joan! If you give the page a few seconds to load it should be okay! The background is actually white but sometimes it takes a while to show, especially on an iPhone! Let me know if it works.

13 Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance July 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

i would be so nervous as well! girl you are brave and strong! im not sure if i could get anywhere close to doing a pull-up! 10 rounds sounds intense!

14 Alyssa July 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

You have me intrigued by this Vega stuff.. I don’t think I get enough protein in my diet :/ I’m working on it though!

15 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean July 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I love pull up negatives! Check ‘em out on my playground workout I just uploaded! Def for the folks who are “not ready to do full on pull ups” yet – me included, b/c you can do full sets of the negatives and it’ll help you work your way up to the real deal! :-D

I’ve never tried vega, but I’m off to check out their nutritional stats!

16 Rachelle July 11, 2012 at 1:54 pm

You go girl!! Good for you for getting out there and trying crossfit. I am so freaking proud of you. I do not even think I could do half a pullup so you definitely have me beat.

You better get a shirtless pic of Dean doing a pullup if you guys go again today. :) hehe

17 Lenka July 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Pullups were also the hardest thing for me when I started crossfit a year ago because my arms were so weak. But with using bands and learning how to do kipping pull ups I got really good at them and I can now do 3 in a row without a band! I still use the thinnest band for workouts. It will take time but you’ll get stronger!

18 Boston Bound Brunette July 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm

What don’t you and Dean do??? I haven’t tried pull ups lately so I can probably do zero! I have never tried Vega products! I am no help today!

19 Alexandra July 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Nice! You and Dean rock!
I love doing pullups and chin ups– ever since I bought one for the doorframe, I’ve really gotten into the habit of trying them more often! :D

20 Alexandra July 11, 2012 at 2:23 pm

oops I meant bought a pullup bar for the doorframe haha

21 Melissa @ runscootsrun.blogspot.com July 11, 2012 at 2:58 pm

10 rounds!…that’s awesome! Congrats. :) I can’t do a single one…maybe I could do a couple with assistance. I just started strength training this month so maybe I can do 1 real one by the end of the month, lol!

22 Felicia July 11, 2012 at 6:39 pm

good job girl :) i love pull ups!! makes the abs super sore too. what a great upper body workout!

23 Nancy July 11, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I noticed that you’re not using the easier bands (which is bad ass on your part, good for you!) the green and purple bands help lift a lot more weight and the red/black ones are like the last step in doing it on your own!!!

Kips are my absolute fav thing at crossfit. Loveeeeee them.

24 Christina @ The Athletarian July 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Hey Nancy!! That’s actually not me in the photo!! haha I wish it was! You must have missed the ‘source ‘ link right under it! ;) I actually used a green band!! I hope I can say kips are my favourite soon!!

25 Cory Reese July 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I have no doubt that I would have reached death before completing a few pull ups. I’m impressed, way to go!

26 Lisa July 11, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Great job on the pull-ups! I suck at them for sure. I adore vega products. My ultime favourite is the vanilla chai. So delicious

27 Katie @ Goober Nut's Life July 12, 2012 at 12:09 am

I can SORT of do pull-ups, but I need to jump up first. :)

Good job on your first Crossfit workout! :D I remember going to my sister’s Crossfit gym for a challenge workout sort of like that, except we did burpees instead of the pull-ups. SUPER hard, and everybody was on the floor after that, lol! ;)

28 @pluvk July 12, 2012 at 1:31 am

That’s awesome! I’d love to try Crossfit, but we only have one nearby and it’s so expensive. Maybe one day…

Thanks for the link for the free sample. They’re all out already :-( but hopefully I can try it soon. They look so yummy!

29 Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner July 12, 2012 at 9:22 am

Nice work!! I can’t do ANY pull-ups…I need one of those assistance bands!!

30 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 12, 2012 at 11:23 am

Congrats on getting as far as you did Christina!! One of my 2012 goals is to be able to do 10 pull-ups and 10 chin-ups by the end of the year. Although I don’t LOVE practicing, I seem to be making some great progress over the past month! Good luck! :)

31 Corey @ Learning Patience July 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

I love pull ups! I used to not be able to do any…but now I’m up to 7 unassisted. I bought one of those door bars from Target when we moved and love it.

xoxo from Trinidad

32 Meg July 14, 2012 at 12:07 am

AHHHHH hunnie so happy and excited for you! Hahahahaha “fancy bands” I use those for all my back workouts :) resistance bands perhaps??? ;) hehehehehehe <3 anyways, so proud of my girl

33 Emg November 27, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Keep at it and the pull ups will come! It took me a year to gain solid upper body stregnth and left me with 7 good formed pull ups (not chin ups) It might seem like a long time but once you get one, you get two, three, and so on! Getting stronger is an addiction! A healthier one ;) I hope you post updates.