20-minute HIIT and cookie butter

by Christina @ The Athletarian on July 3, 2012

If you follow me on Instagram (the_athletarian), you will have already seen these two workouts that I posted last week (does anyone else feel that Instagram kind of spoils blog posts sometimes?).  Since my decision to start working out at home I have been getting creative in my basement and trying to come up with quick and effective workouts using little to no equipment.

Here are two workouts that left me super sweaty in just 20 minutes.  I apologize in advance for the beautiful faces I make after my workouts.  Dean tells me he likes me best when I’m in gym clothes breaking a sweat.  Bless his soul.  He is either lying or a really, really, really good boyfriend.

You can easily do these even if you don’t have a treadmill.  Just substitute that part with something else!  Jumping jacks, high knees, tuck jumps…  There are so many options.  For the step ups and box jumps I used a big granite coffee table that does not move.  I swear an elephant could sit on it and it would not break.  Make sure when doing these exercises you are using something stable.

Now someone please tell me if they have tried this cookie butter:

I keep seeing it posted all over the place – blogs, Facebook, Instagram – and it’s driving me nuts.  From what I hear, it is one of the most delicious things in the whole wide world and this makes me furious  because I can’t get it here.  Trader Joe’s needs to come to Canada because I am missing out on so much deliciousness!  I think the cookie butter would be a perfect treat post-HIIT workout, dot you think? ;)

Do you incorporate HIIT into your workouts?

Do you have a Trader Joe’s where you live?  What is your favourite thing to buy there?

1 Sarah July 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

Girl, I know! Everyone is talking about that stuff. I have trader joes close by. Next time I am in there I ill pick some up for you :)

I like the mango mochi and the chocolate covered banana slices. Desserts of course :)

PS you look great!!!

2 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Thanks, Sarah! You ALWAYS look great. I’m loving your style in all your pictures from your blog you have with Scott. SO NYC!

Mango mochi sounds divine, as do the banana slices! Holy I would get so fat if I lived near a TJs! It would probably be worth it though! ;)

Maybe next time I come to NYC (which will hopefully be soon) we can go on a TJs shopping trip together!

3 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

I saw you post that second workout while I was resting between sets the other day and decided to tack on 2 rounds to the end of mine. Loved it! :)

4 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:25 pm

That makes me so happy!! So glad you tried it out and loved it!

5 pammie July 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

I haven’t tried but try the recipe! :)

6 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Oh my goodness!! I might need to make this!

7 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco July 4, 2012 at 1:05 am

Thank you soo much for linking to me! You are ah-mazing! ;)

8 Lindsey July 3, 2012 at 9:13 am

Love Cookie Butter – we stock up when we are south :) I always buy it, their dark chocolate, trail mix and wine. A great combo! haha

9 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Sounds like heaven to me!! I am so jealous!

10 lisa@thedailyrundown July 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

I have a jar of speckaloos cookie butter in my pantry, it’s been there for almost 2 months! I don’t love it. It is the texture of pb, maybe a little thicker, with like a ginger snap ish cookie taste. It’s ok on graham crackers and such, but there is something a little too artificial about it, if that makes sense!
PS… Your looking super buff!

11 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I’ll finish it for you!! Thanks for the compliment – made my day! :D

12 Meghan Rene @ Uncooked & UnWalked July 3, 2012 at 9:22 am

OH GIRL!!! Don’t you know you can get this on amazon.com!?!?! I wonder if you can on the Canadian website. If not – I could always order it for you and have it shipped as a gift to Canadian probably. I haven’t had it but it sounds divine!

13 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Amzon.com doesn’t ship to Canada! I tried it the other day with a different item! I might be going to the US at some point this summer so I will be sure to get some. I don’t want to hassle anyone!! Thank you so much for offering though!! You’re so nice!

14 Jenn @ Run It My Way July 3, 2012 at 9:29 am

I second Traders Joe’s coming to Canada, I get so jealous of all the yummy things people post on blogs from TJ’s! Haha though I suppose if they came to Canada I’d still be SOL because no one comes to Sydney, Nova Scotia :-P We don’t even have a Costco!

I’m loving all the creative summer workouts! I think I need to convince Ryan to turn the laundry room into a gym :D

15 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I think you should just move to Toronto then! I have a Costco five minutes from my house!! I will take you these every day if you like!

I think turning the laundry room into a gym is a wonderful idea! Get Ryan on that!

16 Jackie July 3, 2012 at 9:33 am

you can buy cookie butter at mcewan’s in toronto!

17 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Really?!?! I wonder if it tastes the same?! I am on a mission!

18 Alexandra July 3, 2012 at 9:49 am

I’ve never tried that cookie butter either but I’m DYING to!!! A trader joes FINALLY opened about an hour and a half away from me…I may have to go just to pick some up mwahaha ;)

19 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I am SO jealous!! Have a spoonful for me!

20 abbi July 3, 2012 at 10:12 am

Cookie butter is quite wonderful…but I don’t want to keep too much of it in the house! My husband was bugging me about it the other day. We don’t have a Trader Joe’s nearby but I go a few times a year to stock up. Apparently, he is quite in need of Cookie butter as quickly as possible! :)

21 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I think I would be in need of cookie butter too!! I think it’s time for a trip! ;)

22 Alex @ therunwithin July 3, 2012 at 10:16 am

I still have yet to try that cookie butter, but it does look tasty!

23 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Please try it for me! Everyone is saying it’s so amazing!

24 Jenn's Adventures July 3, 2012 at 11:15 am

Let’s get back to your sexy sweat pictures and Mr. Dean… We can all see he is a great boyfriend; however, I think the working out, breaking a sweat, looking hot etc. is a total dude thing!! We think we look like crap-ola, meanwhile, all the testosterone sees is pure sexy. Nice! haha;)

25 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

You are too funny! I’m happy I don’t need to get all fancy for him though. He prefers me sweaty and in a sports bra! Wonderful and comfortable!

26 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner July 3, 2012 at 11:19 am

I love that cookie butter! It’s not quite as tasty as Nutella, but it’d definitely up there!

27 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I don’t know if anything is as good as Nutella! That stuff should be illegal.

28 Pammie July 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

mmmm nutella on a banana post run= YUM!

29 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 10:03 pm

You are making me HUNGRY!!

30 Mandi July 3, 2012 at 11:45 am

I saw some cookie butter at Whole Foods yesterday!

31 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Really?! I wonder if the Whole Foods here carries it? I’m going to check!

32 Rachelle July 3, 2012 at 12:59 pm

You are absolutely killing the workouts girl. Seriously your arms seems to be getting stronger every single day and I absolutely love it. You are such a great rolemodel and example to so many. I need to find me a man that likes a good sweaty women because I am always sweaty. haha!

We do not have TJ in UT but I totally stock up whenever I go to NV or AZ. My favorite is the edamame crackers. You must try them!!

33 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

You are so nice!! My arms are my slowest growing but they’ll get there eventually. I’m totally not stressing about it. It’s all about having fun this summer! I want to clock in more miles too so I can be a speedy runner one day like you! :)

Edamame crackers sound delicious! I will look for them the next time I visit the US!

34 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean July 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I love me some HIIT!!!! I’ll get some and send it to you if you want!!! :-D

35 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm

How about I just come to Chicago and we go get some cookie butter and sit on a street corner, eating it out of the jar with two spoons?! That sounds like a dream come true to me!

36 Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance July 3, 2012 at 1:19 pm

AHHH! i have eaten like 3 jars of that stuff just in the past month! LOVE IT! so delicious! and girl. you have got some crazy guns! love it!

37 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:37 pm

OMG I am so jealous!! I think I would eat three jars a DAY!!!

38 Felicia July 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

i’ve had it. its dangerous. dangerously delicious that is!! want me to send you some?! because i totally would!

39 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I hear it should be illegal! I don’t want to hassle anyone to send it over so I will probably just wait until I get to NYC again (hopefully SOON!). I will have to buy a carry on just for food!

40 Elle July 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Oh I agree. TJs is my first stop when we head South of the border. I would die of happiness if they ever come to Canada!

Would love to try some of that Cookie Butter too… would be soooo happy if I could get my hands on some. <3

41 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:39 pm

ME TOO! let’s go together and stock up!! How fun would that be?!

42 @pluvk July 3, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I LOVE HIIT workouts… and I hate them, but simply because they kick my butt! And as for Dean loving you in sweat gym clothes, my man is the same way. He says it looks sexy. I think “ew,” but hey! Whatever works, right? ;-)

43 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Haha that’s amazing!! It works better for us, right?! We get to be comfy while still looking sexy (to them, at least!).

44 Jackie July 3, 2012 at 8:51 pm

it’s actually better! i’ve had both. it’s called speculous i think. red jar.
then you can buy the cookies that make the cookie butter at metro in libvil.

45 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:56 pm

You are my go-to girl for treats! I am going to go this week to find it. I will probably develop an addiction and then blame it on you!

46 mallory July 3, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Great workouts, Christina!! That’s sweet that Dean says that! My SO says the same thing and it always makes me happy and encourages me to keep going! I’ve never tried a HIIT workout. I’m thinking about it though.

47 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I know! It’s so encouraging!! You should totally try a HIIT workout. They are amazing, especially when you are short on time!

48 Jackie July 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

oh, you don’t even know the possibilities with cookie butter.

good luck? haha.
ps – i am the go-to treats girl. hit me up.

49 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I think I’ll need willpower more than luck!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I’m excited :)

50 Christina @ The Athletarian July 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I FOUND IT! Just posted about it today!! Holy smokes it.is.GOOD.

51 Jamie @ couchtoironwoman July 3, 2012 at 9:21 pm

We don’t have Trader Joe’s yet but it is being built! I’m scared to go in there since our regular grocery store, Wegmans, already has enough unique food items!

52 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Haha yes! I’ve been to Wegmans a few times when I was in NYC! TJs just brings food to another level! It’s quite scary!

53 Chelsey @ Powerhouse Fit Foodie July 3, 2012 at 11:10 pm

We totally need Trader Joe’s here in Canada! Be thankful you at least have wholefoods in Toronto, here in London we’re a little lacking.

54 Christina @ The Athletarian July 3, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Haha I guess you’re right! We do have a lot on Toronto. You’re not TOO far away! You should come stock up and we could have a Whole Foods date!

55 Lisa July 4, 2012 at 3:24 pm

No TJ’s over here! I wish, silly Canada. Can you believe I’ve never even been in one before. Love that HIIT workout, I usually do HIIT like 4 times a week. I looove it. I’m totally going to try this one out sometime

56 Christina @ The Athletarian July 17, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I’ve only been once so you’re not alone!! HIIT is amazing. Let me know if you try one of the workouts!

57 Christy@ My Dirt Road Anthem July 5, 2012 at 7:40 am

I love LOVE love HIITs. I do them several times a week and once marathon training is over will probably do them more often. I make most of mine up too. I used to do BodyRock all the time, now I do it sometimes and sometimes ZWOWs, but I am starting to prefer my own :) I bookmarked this though and am going to try yours next week or the week after when I am somewhat recovered from my marathon.

I am having a hard time with the thought of zucchini noodles, but keep hearing about them so MAYBE I will try that too.

58 Christina @ The Athletarian July 17, 2012 at 1:07 pm

You NEED to try zucchini noodles! They are so good!! How are you feeling now that some time has passed since your race?? Recovered?

59 Katie July 6, 2012 at 7:02 am

Cookie butter is like heaven in a jar-UNBELIEVABLE! I love it in overnight oats. I try to complete at least 2 HIIT workouts a week; today I did plyometrics while I was running, every 1/4 mile I would complete squat jumps, burpees, mountain climbers, etc. It made the run fly by!

60 Christina @ The Athletarian July 17, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Mmm that sounds amazing! I will have to try that when I get my hands on TJ’s cookie butter! Mixing plyos with running is the best thing ever. It makes time go by MUCH faster!

61 Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl July 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I signed up for Spartan WODs – delivered daily in my inbox. And they are kicking my butt. last night was burpees, tuck jumps, jumping lunges, bicycle kicks, crunches, push-ups, pull-ups. I am seriously feeling the DOMS today. Least tonight is weights. I can handle that. lol.

thank you for the HIIT routines!

62 Christina @ The Athletarian July 17, 2012 at 1:04 pm

You’re welcome!! Those Spartan ones sound intense!!