POWERMEAL Round Up (16-21) and a gym dilemma

Powercakes‘ June Powermeal Challenge is almost over!  If you missed any of the earlier round ups, you can check them out here, here, and here.  Here are days 16-21:

Day 16: power smoothie (almond milk, frozen berries, vega energizing smoothie in tropical tango, and PB)

Day 17: beverage (I am a water girl but when I am craving something naughty I go for ROOT BEER – Zevia is a healthier alternative because it is sweetened with stevia and has 0 calories!)

Day 18: side dish (sweet potatoes and zucchini grilled on the BBQ)

Day 19: protein (quinoa, tofu, tomatoes, cucumbers, avocado, and lemon juice)

Day 20: carbs and Day 21: don’t fear the fat (Chocolate Covered Katie’s blueberry pie pancakes topped with all-natural PB)

***

Soooo about that gym dilemma.  My membership ends in a couple of days and I’m not sure what to do.  I still have a few weeks left of James Wilson’s program that I want to finish and am wondering if I can do it at home.  I have the entire summer off (so does Dean) and know we will be taking a lot of our workouts outside.  I’ve got free weights, Lebert Equalizers, a sandbag, a treadmill, and a TRX system (review coming soon).  We are also looking into joining a Crossfit gym (scary) for a few weeks until we have to go back to work in September (which is when I would join the regular gym again).  I love the gym.  Love it.  But I also love trying new things.  I AM TORN.

Is anyone else doing the James Wilson program at home?  I’m sure I can do it with modifications but there are certain machines and exercises (leg press, lat pull downs, hack squat) that I will not be able to simulate.

Have you tried Crossfit?

Comments

I’m actually taking some crossfit classes in July for the first time EVER and I’m pumped!

As for the gym- I only go in the fall and winter. I love taking my workouts outside when it’s hot and sunny. But your dilemma with the James Wilson program makes it a hard one! I’ve never done that program before but it seems like it could be tough to simulate the same exercises. I guess you just have to figure out how often you would be at the gym compared to outdoor workouts and see if it’s worth it for you.

• 5

I’m going to Element Crossfit! I’ve never been but my cheer coaches have. The ya re actually giving us lessons on how we can do crossfit exercises from home or in a park! The weight lifting actually terrifies me. I wish us both luck! haha What places are you trying out?

ohhhhh hard one!

sometimes I skip the gym for too often to justify still having my membership but then again sometimes I use it every day for like a month straight so I always like to know I have it … and we have to pay for a year up front it’s not monthly so?

• 9

I know! Such a hard one! I use it at least five days week at the moment but with Dean having the summer off too it makes it so hard to justify being indoors. We both LOVE exercising and I know we will find other ways but I also LOVE my gym so much!! I still have a few days to decide!

Even when I belong to a gym, I rarely use it. Between running outside, my at home equipment (similar to yours) and teaching fitness classes, the gym doesn’t get much use. Good luck on your decision! I’m sure that you’ll make it work :)

Ana says

I have been struggling with this same thing!!! I have to drive about 15 min to the gym each way and I work out about 5-6 days a week. I started to want to do two a day work outs, so I started some p90x and blogilates at home. Little by little I have been enjoying my at home work out because I don’t have to waste time driving to the gym. Its been great to just roll out of bed work out then I’m already home to have my PWO shake and get ready for work.

My hubby & I dropped our gym membership a few years ago and haven’t looked back! We realized it was easier (and more economical) to work out at home instead. We took the $ we would have spent on our membership and invested in a treadmill, free weights, kettlebells, exercise ball, medicine balls and a Bowflex-like machine and set it all up in our home’s basement. I also purchased quite a few exercise DVD’s that I rotate to keep things fresh.

We try to get outdoors as much as possible and I’m training for a marathon so I am running quite a bit. I love working out at home and I don’t miss the gym one bit!

Amy says

I am doing the James Wilson program as well and I think with your creativity and because you have a lot of equipment already, you’ll be ok! :) If one of the exercises needs a machine, just use google to find an exercise that works the same muscle without a machine! If there is a particular day that requires A LOT of machines, try to find a day pass to a new gym (often they offer the first time for free), fun to try a new gym and that way you’re not having to sub in too many alternatives! Hope that helps ;)

I really want to try Crossfit but since I just bought a road bike I think I am going to figure out how to ride that first. I am been a member at my gym for forever and a day and I only pay $9/month so I just keep it. It helps me on the days when the weather does not allow outside running. With all of the other activities that you and Dean do, I think you could easily do without the gym membership!

• 25

$9?!?! That is incredible! I would keep it too even if I wasn’t using it! What kind of road bike did you get? I haven’t taken mine out since the big ride. I think this weekend is calling for some biking! I still don’t really know how to use it!

I think it’s good to mix things up for a bit. I would let your membership end and try doing your workouts outside….if you find that it doesn’t work or you miss getting a few days in the gym each week, you could always rejoin then. Whatever you do, I’m sure you’ll make it work for you :)

I say can the gym membership for now.. I think you have enough tools to workout at home & with your man outside, AND I think you will really enjoy CrossFit for a while — it will be a welcomed NEW change and challenge you won’t regret!

@pluvk says

I can’t wait to read your posts about Crossfit. I keep trying to convince my husband to join, but he thinks I’m crazy! I still have to convince myself, too. :-)

I think someone already mentioned this above, but our old gym had day passes. (We quit, too, to save $$ – and working out at home is more convenient!) That would probably be your best bet until you rejoin your regular gym. :-)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my variety so I always keep my gym membership even if I’m doing a majority of my workouts at home or outside for a certain time period. BUT if you really think you won’t use it – maybe try it!! Worst that happens is that you start it up again. And zevia!?!! I just tried it for the first time when I had food poisoning – I had the gingerale since it has no sugar and it did wonders. Who would’ve thought? You rock lady!

• 33

I know! I read your comment that you posted on my Instagram picture and got so excited! You should try some of the other flavours. Cream Soda and Root Beer are my two favourites!

You are so right about the gym. I could easily just start up again in a couple of weeks if I’m really dying without it!

Hope you’re having an amazing day!! xoxoxo

Funny. When I was at the gym today I was like “I wonder how Christina’s training is going”

You answered my question ;)

I am not doing his program, but sounds like you have enough stuff to do it from home!?

xoxo

• 35

Hah! I should have enough! The training is going great! Really itching to try Crossfit though. Should be interesting…

You are always thinking of me, as I am of you. How lucky I am to have such a beautiful friend! Hope you have a great day, Meg! xoxo

Oh girl I say go all wild and crazy and skip the gym for a few months. Training outside is so so good for the body & soul. I love it! I also really think you guys would love cross fit. I say go for it what do you really have to lose?

Have an amazing day!

Yummy eats! Hm, tough one. I don’t have a gym membership and my workouts have never been better since I’ve had to create my own gym at home, I’ve also never been in such great shape either. Its kind of weird how that shifted. I think if it is possible to do at home, you might as well save your money and do it at home. Especially is you have Dean as motivation to complete the program. And if you missed it, you could always just join it again after trying without it! I hope you try out crossfit! I want to so bad, but its so dang expensive! I usually just get the workouts and adapt so I can do them at home, I’m a cheater ;)

• 39

Hahaha it’s okay to be a cheater!! Crossfit is quite expensive but a few of the “boxes” have some summer deals and we would probably just be doing it until we have to go back to work in September. I hope I can be in the best shape ever doing my workouts at home just like you!

Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance says

im thinking when i move i won’t get a gym membership till winter. i have really liked my outside/home workouts so i figure it will save me a bit of money:)

I was scared before I tried Crossfit. I actually bought a 3 month Groupon. I strained my back the first day. It’s really not that hard. It’s not for me though. I will go when they aren’t lifting heavy, but pulling my back has had me “out” for 2 weeks. I can’t justify the hefty pricetag, so I will not join.

• 44

Thank you!! I actually just got your comment now. For some reason it was in my spam! I think I fixed it though :)

I haven’t tried Crossfit yet. I’m hoping to still get to it this moth but I just my puppy and he’s quite the handful!!

I say skip the gym for a few months! It’s nice to have a change and it will be new and exciting again when you head back there in September. Plus, if both you and Dean are off for the summer you have an instant outdoor workout buddy at all times – awesome!

I’ve been doing CrossFit now for a few months – all I can say is DO IT, you will not regret it. It’s insane, but all the workouts are infinitely scaleable to your ability level, and then it’s only as hard as you make it. Push yourself! It’s so much fun. I can’t wait to read your posts about it!

• 50

Ah! I am so happy to read that you have tried it! I have been so scared because I am not super strong. We went to check out one of the places last night and it looked like there were a ton of modifications for people like me. I guess there is hope!! I’m excited!

Vanessa says

You could always look for a Wagjag/Groupon/Teambuy/Dealfind/etc for a gym membership. The deals are fairly cheap so even if you only go to the gym once a week for a month or two its still worth it. As always with these deals, just make sure to read the fine print. :)

I want to do Crossfit too!! Just wish it wasn’t so pricey.

• 52

I didn’t even think of checking those deal websites! What a great idea. I am definitely going to look into it. Crossfit IS crazy expensive but we’ve been doing our research and think we might score a pretty sweet deal. AND we are only doing it until we have to go back to work in September. I don’t think there is any way I’d be able to afford it for much longer than that!

How fun that you did Powercake’s challenge – I wanted to join, but I felt so busy!
    If you’re up for another challenge I’m doing a JULY smoothie challenge on my site! FUN prizes coming up!

Nicole K says

I LOVE crossfit!! It is definitely one of those types of workouts that people either really love or hate. It is amazing how quickly you see yourself improving in all of the different workouts. Each day is different and challenging, but your only competition is yourself! Everyone supports everybody else an that makes working out even more fun! I think you and Dean will really like it. Cant wait to see what you think!

• 56

I’m so happy to know that you’ve tried it! We checked out a place last night and it just got me even more excited. The workout looked so intense and the gym owner talked a lot about how fast people gain strength. I’m most excited about the possibility of doing a pull up! I will go NUTS on the day I can do one!! Can’t wait to share my experiences with you!

I’ve not tried Cross Fit but I’m really interested in looking into it. I have a gym membership now and it’s not too expensive ($20.99 per month, unlimited classes, can bring guest, tanning, etc) but there is no pool. I would love to have a gym with a pool but the only one around is the YMCA and I don’t want to spend an extra $25 per month to have a pool. I’ve never heard of the exercise program you’re talking about.

Definitely try CrossFit! I’m not strong but I’ve gotten a lot better, all of the workouts are scalable with the weight but still feel high-intense even if you’re doing a lower weight than other people.

Trackbacks