How I/We Celebrated

by Christina @ The Athletarian on June 26, 2012

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes yesterday!  Dean was so flattered and loved all of the comments.  None of you guessed his age right but Electra was the closest… ;)  Unfortunately Dean had to work on his birthday (insert sad face) so I had to celebrate his day of birth on my own until approximately 4pm.  Said celebration involved 5 miles on the treadmill while watching (part of) The Bachelorette (episode 3 – things are getting EXCITING) on my Mac.

I kind of love watching TV while running.  It makes the time go by super fast and I feel like I can run forever. Someone needs to invent some kind of a hands-free/wireless/floating contraption that lets you watch TV while running outdoors.  I swear running marathons would be way easier.  PS: I wore my mom’s Mizunos to see what they felt like and they were SO comfortable.  I’m getting a pair of Mizunos next, no doubt.

When Dean got home I told him I would take him out to eat.  His response?  ”I’m not too hungry.  I just ate a burrito.”  He just ate a FREAKING burrito on his birthday RIGHT before we were supposed to go out to “celebrate”.  So he accompanied me to Whole Foods and I ate food from their hot bar all alone.  What he did want was ice cream so that is exactly what he/we got.

Ever since Sandy posted her mint chocolate chip cone on Instagram (follow me! the_athletarian) we have both been craving it so we got matching cones.  Doesn’t the above picture look kind of like the one I posted yesterday except this time Dean is holding real cones!  I probably should have gotten him to take his shirt off to make it a little more similar. ;)

Dean doesn’t really like celebrating his birthday – he says only people who plan on aging need to celebrate their birthdays!  Apparently aging isn’t in his life plan for the next little while so we’ll see how that pans out…  We spent the rest of the night walking and talking, which is exactly what he wanted.

Are you big on birthday celebrations?

What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?  Cup or cone?

1 Q June 26, 2012 at 8:12 am

LOL…I love how D holds his cones.

2 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:11 pm

He should be a cone model! ;)

3 Alex @ therunwithin June 26, 2012 at 8:18 am

Well at least you got whole foods out of the deal right? haha. I wish I had a tv when I ran, I think that would make it so much easier to just pound out miles.

4 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm

So much easier! Beats the boredom for sure, especially on longer runs!

5 Lindsey June 26, 2012 at 8:31 am

Love birthdays! Always a cup when it comes to ice cream, and I do not have a favorite flavor, but usually go for anything with chocolate chunks or peanut butter :)

6 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Basically the best two things you can ever add to ice cream!

7 Sarah June 26, 2012 at 8:36 am

I dont really like to celebrate my birthday. The older you get the lamer in my opinion. When I was a kid yeah I loved my bday, tons of presents, cake, got to play all day. Not the same anymore lol.

Mint chip is my favorite hands down!! I would go with a cup even tho I like cones but cup is just easier for me to eat.

8 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Ooooo I guess that’s another things for us to add to our to-do list when I come to NYC! Ice cream!

9 Alexandra June 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

Sounds fun! OMG My dad does the same thing with eating right before a celebration– on father’s day, my mom and I were stoked to take him out to dinner, but he filled up on a billion cashews and was like, “ehh I’m not that hungry, but I’ll come” haha ;)
Favorite ice cream flavor has to be strawberry cheesecake!!! :D

10 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Men are so silly, don’t you think?! I’ve never tried strawberry cheesecake ice cream! Sounds delicious :)

11 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 26, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’m so behind on blog reading, so happy belated birthday Dean!

12 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Hahaha no worries! Thank you! Hope your first day at work went well!

13 Eliza Klinger June 26, 2012 at 9:23 am

Dean’s a good looking 35 year old old (but of course his younger sister would know that). I hope his b-day was good! Ice Cream always makes the day a little bit sweeter!

14 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I would have to agree – both with Dean being good looking and ice cream making a day sweeter! Hope you are well, Eliza!

15 Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl June 26, 2012 at 9:24 am

Glad he had a great day filled with non-aging, burritos, ice cream, and the company of his beautiful gal :)

Now I want some mint chocolate chip ice cream, had cookie dough last night and it was delish.

16 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Seriously, what a lucky man!! Hahaha! Why don’t I come to Chi-town so we can have ice cream together?! That sounds like a perfect plan to me.

17 Gemma June 26, 2012 at 9:37 am

Is Dean Filipino? He looks it. My boyfriend is Filipino and they have such good genes- they never age! Haha
Ice cream is my favourite treat :) glad you both had a good night!

18 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:19 pm

He IS Filipino!!! That’s so cool that your boyfriend is Filipino too :) I agree – they have amazing genes! His whole family looks fantastic! I am so jealous. When I am 40 he is still going to look like he does right now!!

19 Jenn's Adventures June 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm

LMAO! No doubt Christina!! My Ex IS 40 & he looks the same as he did when we were together 10 years ago!

20 Boston Bound Brunette June 26, 2012 at 9:41 am

Sorry for putting bad thoughts in your mind with my ice cream pic but the two of you look so damn good that you could eat a whole gallon of it and it wouldn’t even matter :) I am glad that you spend the day with the Birthday Boy even though he messed up the dinner plans hahaha! I have been wanting to try Mizunos too! I am tired of my Nike’s but I cannot seem to find anything that works for me.

21 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:21 pm

SHAME ON YOU!!! Kidding…we loved the ice cream! It had been a while anyway so we really enjoyed it! let me know if you end up finding a pair of Mizunos you like! I have my eyes on a pair with a little more stability than my mom’s so I will probably pick them up when I start training for my next big race!

22 hikermom June 26, 2012 at 11:21 am

Sounds like a great day:) Favorite flavor orange sherbert or cookies and cream. I usually have it in a cup. Way to get in your miles while watching TV!

23 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Mmm cookies and cream is another amazing flavour! i’ve never tried orange sherbert though! I bet it’s amazing on a really hot summer day :)

24 Meghan Rene June 26, 2012 at 12:00 pm

LOL! Mine is Thursday and my family jokes that I make the entire month my birthday month. I don’t plan on aging either ;)

Aint nothing wrong with some coffee or mint chocolate chip in a cone. Yum!

25 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh yay! Happy early birthday, Meghan! I guess you’ve been celebrating all month?! haha! June is such a great month to have a birthday! Hope you’re having an amazing day so far!

26 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean June 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Buahahah I KNEW IT!!! ;-) SOO glad you two had a low-key and special evening, that’s exactly how we celebrate our birthdays too – lowkey, relaxed, and together :-D .

27 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I’m pretty sure we were separated at birth.

28 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean June 26, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Most definitely :-P TWIN power!

29 Julia H. June 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm

ummmm i am so huge on bday celebrations. i think i would have freaked out if he didnt want to celebrate;) haha! glad yall got that ice cream though!

30 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I used to push him (back in the day) to celebrate and took him out to fancy restaurants but it just wasn’t his style! Now he just wants ice cream cones. I guess I can’t really complain. Makes my life easier!

31 @pluvk June 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Birthdays are a HUGE deal in our house! My hubs wasn’t a big birthday person until I converted him. My philosophy is that I’d rather get older than die young. Morbid, I know, but it’s a good way to not freak out over aging! Happy Birthday, Dean!

32 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Hahah not morbid at all! I don’t freak out over aging either! It’s a part of life! Maybe I can convert Dean too…teach me your tricks!! Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

33 @pluvk June 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Haha, I wish I knew what the trick was. I just kept making a big deal out of his day, and (after seven or so years) he finally got into it, too! Persistence!

34 Rachelle June 26, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That picture of him with the cones is absolutely adorable and I am so glad you still got a good meal out of his birthday. :) All birthdays are meant to be enjoyed by everyone in my opinion!

We went out for my BIL birthday last Saturday without him. haha!

35 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Without him?!?! hahahaha that’s the funniest thing I’ve ever heard!!

36 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen June 26, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Oh ice cream is my biggest weakness! I love chocolate ice cream with peanut butter chunks in it :)

37 Christina @ The Athletarian June 26, 2012 at 10:05 pm

YUM! PB and chocolate is the best combination…throw it into ice cream form and you have the greatest thing ever invented!

38 Elle June 26, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Okay, so someone guessed 21 and Electra was the closest in guess 12? That would make him no more than 16! You must be a cradlerobber!

39 Christina @ The Athletarian June 27, 2012 at 12:25 am

YOU CAUGHT ME! Hahaha!

40 Alejandra June 27, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I have those Mizuno’s! Aren’t those run puppies the best??

41 Christina @ The Athletarian June 29, 2012 at 3:08 am

SO comfy!! I’m sort of obsessed.