I almost died and then ate french toast.

by Christina @ The Athletarian on June 14, 2012

If you follow me on Facebook you may already know that the evil James Wilson almost killed me this morning.  My body was finally feeling back to normal after Sunday’s ridiculous workout but that feeling didn’t last for very long.  It was W6D3 of his program and the focus was LEGS.  We are into body part training now so things are getting even more interesting to say the least.

(My self-taker isn’t as exciting as the one Dean took of himself yesterday!)

I feel as though I can’t lift as heavy as I think know I can when it comes to my legs.  My legs are pretty strong but since my upper body lags behind in the strength department, I sometimes find it difficult to use heavy weights for certain exercises (such as squats).  It doesn’t help that my gym doesn’t have any of those rubber pads to use on the bars so I have to resort to rolling my rough towel around it in order to prevent breaking my back.  I might consider buying my own and bringing it with me on leg days…

Even though I didn’t lift as heavy as I wanted to, my legs were still shaking by the end of this workout.  To say my quads were on fire is an understatement.  I am afraid for tomorrow.  My near leg death experience didn’t stop me from making this delicious breakfast though:

TOFU FRENCH TOAST!

I got the idea off of Instagram from fitspiration_girl and getfit_feel sexy.  All you do is slice extra firm tofu into medium/thin pieces, sprinkle sweetener of your choice (I used stevia) as well as cinnamon and then cook them on a non-stick pan (no oil) for 2-3 minutes on each side!  SO EASY!  I usually have a hard time getting protein in at breakfast so this was perfect (and delicious)!  I topped my “french toast” with sugar free maple syrup and had half a banana and some blueberries on the side.  I plan on repeating this exact same breakfast tomorrow!

Do you like french toast?

What was your favourite meal today?  What did you have?

1 Melissa June 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm

That tofu recipe sounds interesting. I’ve never been able to eat too much tofu because of the texture. how was that?

2 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I used to hate the texture too! It really depends on how it’s cooked. I liked this a lot! If you want, cut it super thin so that it isn’t so spongy and that should do the trick! :)

3 janetha [meals & moves] June 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I bought that workout plan but haven’t done any of the workouts yet. I will have to if they almost kill you like you say!

4 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Haha yeah…the first few weeks were relatively “easy” but it’s a BIG SCAM! Do not be fooled. It gets more intense as the weeks go on!!

5 Anna June 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Did you press the tofu first?

6 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Nope! No pressing here!

7 Angela June 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Tofu french toast is such a good idea!

8 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Yesssss! Tasty too! ;)

9 Colleen June 14, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I love french toast but I have never tried Tofu. I am kind of scared to try it. What does it taste like? Does the syrup cover up the taste?

10 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Well I will warn you that this doesn’t taste like REAL French toast but it is still super yummy (to me, at least). The taste of tofu is fairly neutral. It takes on the taste of whatever you use to season it with!

11 Briana June 14, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Hmmmmm…. I’ll have to try this tofu french toast! Sounds easy and yummy!

12 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:28 pm

SO easy! SO yummy! OMG I haven’t visited your blog in so long. I stopped signing into Google Reader/Blogger months ago and keep up with most people through Facebook. Time to go get some updates on you! Hope you’re doing amazing!

13 Jenn @ Run It My Way June 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

That french toast looks DELICIOUS, wow! I have some tofu in the fridge that I hadn’t decided what to do with… I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow!! :) Thanks for sharing!

14 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm

You’re welcome!! Let me know how you like it!

15 Alexandra June 14, 2012 at 5:00 pm

TOFU french toast?! That sounds so creative and cool! I’ve never really cooked with it before, so I’d be scared to make it, but boy does it look good! :)

16 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Don’t be scared! Cook it just like chicken! HAH.

17 Boston Bound Brunette June 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I love tofu so I am sure that I will love the tofu french toast! Hope you can walk tomorrow lol!!

18 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I think you will love this then! I think we were separated at birth – Lulu addicts and tofu lovers!

19 Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body June 14, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I don’t like making french toast, but I do like eating it! That looks like a delicious picture :)

20 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Haha me too! So yummy! :)

21 Elle June 14, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Just wanted to let you know I tagged you on my blog today for the Lovely Blow Award – if you don’t want to participate, it’s okay.. just love reading your blog!

22 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Woohoo! Thanks, Elle! I’ve got lots of catching up to do! I’m in the home stretch for work right now (only have a few days left before I’m off for the summer!!) and then things will go back to normal (finally!). Going to head on over and check it out! xoxo

23 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner June 14, 2012 at 7:58 pm

That is such a creative idea for French toast! I don’t know if it would be QUITE the same, but it’s a nice protein-rich substitute I’ll bet!

24 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Haha no, definitely not the same at all!! I never really liked “real” French toast anyway so I didn’t really make any comparisons! I liked the tofu prepared this way though. Never thought to make it sweet! I always cook it in savoury dishes! :)

25 Alex @ therunwithin June 14, 2012 at 8:27 pm

whoa that sounds great! I must try!

26 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 8:33 pm

DO IT! Let me know how you like it!

27 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 14, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’m always scared to cook tofu! That’s why I usually eat it when someone else makes it for me, like whole foods :D
I am really dying to get James Wilson’s program!

28 Christina @ The Athletarian June 14, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Haha I love when Whole Foods cooks it for me too! It always tastes amazing!

29 Meg June 15, 2012 at 12:11 am

oh me oh my! I am totally doing this!!!! I have tofu in my fridge and HAVE to do this

ooooo I love you

30 Christina @ The Athletarian June 15, 2012 at 8:50 am

TRY IT! Tell me how you like it! :)

31 Jinx June 15, 2012 at 1:31 am

Ooh! The tofu french toast looks good! I’m always looking for ways to get more protein into my breakfasts, and this looks like a great way to do it!

32 Christina @ The Athletarian June 15, 2012 at 8:50 am

Definitely! So quick and easy too!

33 Meghan Rene June 15, 2012 at 7:46 am

Yummy!!! I am visiting my folks this weekend so I think I need to let my Dad know that his subconscious really wants to make me french taste.

My favorite meal was sushi yesterday :)

34 Christina @ The Athletarian June 15, 2012 at 8:52 am

Of course he wants to make it for you!! Haha I hope that works!

35 Jason June 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Great job on getting in there for legs! I managed a workout yesterday too. – my first one since Sunday’s Ridiculous workout. I didn’t hit legs directly with weights, but did 20 mins of running, 2 wind sprints and 2 sets of jump shots mixed in with my upper body lifting.

BYOBP (Bring your own Bar Pad) is a good idea if your gym doesn’t have them. Otherwise, you CAN probably get used to not using one. I dropped the bar pad years ago and did all my heaviest squatting after that point. My final 2 cents: if it’s uncomfortable without a pad, try getting used to it. If there’s pain though, get a bar pad. Either way – Happy Squatting!!! :)

36 Christina @ The Athletarian June 16, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thanks so much, Jason! I love that you commented! :D

You KILLED your workout! Way to go!

I am going to see how I continue to progress with my squats and if there comes a point where I know I can go much heavier but it is way too painful (for my upper body) then I will probably pick a pad up. Thanks for the advice!

Have a great weekend!

37 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Haha tofu french toast? That just blew my mind.