Fit Family

by Christina @ The Athletarian on May 22, 2012

We had a long weekend here in Canada and I was lucky enough to spend a lot of it with family.  On Saturday we celebrated Dean’s niece’s second birthday.

Hanging out with Dean’s family is probably one of the funnest things ever.  They are so crazy and we end up doing the weirdest things.  Take, for example, the fact that we battle roped pre-birthday feast.  Dean bought a battle rope a while back and keeps it in the back seat of his car.  It’s always good to have some fitness tools on hand for times like this!

We used the space and tools we had available.  This meant battle roping in the driveway and using two dumbbells to hold the rope down.  We also used Dean’s tabata timer on his iPhone and took turns sweating our faces off for 30 seconds at a time.  The kids even got in on it and it made for a good time.  We had a lot of cars stop and watch – probably neighbours thinking we were crazy!

The ropes are a lot heavier than they look and I had already worked out in the morning so my upper body was toast.  My arms, shoulders, back, and abs hurt real bad.  I woke up in so much pain but according to this tweet I wasn’t alone:

If you haven’t tried battle ropes, I highly suggest giving them a shot.  My gym has them and I admit I was a bit intimidated the first time I saw them but it is such a great workout and now that Dean has one, I think we’ll be utilizing it and incorporating battle ropes into our workouts more often!

Have you ever tried battle ropes?

What is your workout today?

1 Meghan Rene May 22, 2012 at 8:18 am

I have never tried battle ropes! I think I need to ASAP. Maybe I will get a training session to learn them!

I am doing my first workout since my first half this evening – spinning! Can’t wait!

2 Ali Mc May 22, 2012 at 8:35 am

Im coming to your next family event ;)

3 Alexandra May 22, 2012 at 8:39 am

Whoa that sounds intense! I’ve never tried battle ropes before, but looks like yall got an epic workout with them!

4 Julie May 22, 2012 at 8:44 am

I have tried the battle ropes. So much fun!!!
Glad other people have a family like mine. We usually do something crazy like that too. One time it was kick ball, another it was a head stand competition.

5 hikermom May 22, 2012 at 8:50 am

Sounds like fun! I’ve never tried battle ropes. I am hoping in get in a run today, but my legs already feel like lead for some reason. Maybe they will feel better once I hit the road:) Have a great day!

6 Sarah May 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

He has the cutest family! I don’t have that rope but I am deftly going to think about buying it when I go home to visit family this summer. We love doing active games together.

Ran 8 miles in the rain. It was actually pretty nice!

7 Jenn's Adventures May 22, 2012 at 10:45 am

SO MUCH AWESOME in all your photos!! I love the fact that cars would stop to check things out — too funny!!!

8 Tink May 22, 2012 at 10:56 am

That sounds like fun! I’ve always wanted to try doing the ropes

9 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile May 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

I took a class at my old gym and they had those!!! It was SUCH a killer workout. I loved it!

10 Danielle May 22, 2012 at 11:58 am

I used to hate the battle ropes in boot camp! I always get so winded!! The instructor used to tell me I needed to get on the stair master to work on my endurance.

So fun though! And his family is so cute!!!

11 Cory Reese May 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

That workout looks pretty, um, ouch. You guys are like machines!

Those cupcakes look ALMOST too good to eat. Almost.

12 Meg May 22, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I would love to try battle ropes! Maybe in August with you and Dean? ;) HAHA <3

My workout today was bi's and tri's :)

13 Sarah @ feeeding the brain and body May 22, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Wow this looks like so much fun, I really want to try it :) Looks like you had a great long weekend!

14 Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} May 22, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Looks like a blast! I want to come to your family event parties, can I bring my crazy boys too! LOL The kids are so adorable and happy 2nd b-day to the little one!

15 Elle May 22, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Yikes!

16 Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance May 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

haha! love the fun pics and that the whole fam got involved on the battle roping fun! those things look so dang tough to me so i can only imagine how sore you were! crazy! i would love to try those things sometime though!

17 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I love battling ropes! :) They hurt so good! I took my workout outside today and did some walking/jogging/circuit type stuff. I am working on a post about it as we speak!

18 Rachelle May 23, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Oh my gosh Dean’s neice is the cutest thing alive. Seriously she is adorable. I love birthday parties and the battle roping looks so fun!

As a completely important side not I am much more sore from watching 6 kids under the age of 3 yesterday than I ever get from running. :) haha!

19 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner May 23, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’ve never tried them before but they look like a great workout! I love how the whole family gets in on the action – that’s so awesome!

20 Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt May 24, 2012 at 8:13 am

OMG, battle ropes. WANT!

21 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 25, 2012 at 9:17 am

I’ve tried those ropes once, but I am NOT good at them. I think I should give them another shot though.

Happy Friday!

22 mallory May 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’ve seen them at the gym and am super intimidated to use them but they look really cool!