Yet another man in my life.

by Christina @ The Athletarian on May 21, 2012

Remember when you all met the new man in my life, Lance?  Well now I’m going to have to make some room for this bad boy:

I bought a bike last week!  Considering the Ride For Heart is in 13 days, I cut it really close.  I have never owned a road bike and I have to ride it for 75km on June 3rd.  Yikes.

The Ride For Heart and Raleigh teamed up so I was able to get a pretty good deal on this bike.  It’s crazy how expensive road bikes can get!  By the time you add the helmet, padded shorts, water cage, etc…you’re pretty much poor.  I’m excited to have another way to get my sweat on this summer though.  This will be good cross training for me and a really fun way to get in some cardio while enjoying the sunshine.

I’m taking it out for the first time today (after W3D1 of James Wilson’s program) and I’m a bit scared!  I have never been on a road bike before so it should be interesting to say the least.  I got it sized and had the seat set lower than usual so that I felt more comfortable resting my feet on the ground.  I also avoided getting the clip-in pedals for now even though I have a pair of cycling shoes.  I am going to ride in regular running shoes for the time being so that I can avoid killing myself.

Now I just need a name for my bike.  Any suggestions?  Do you own a bike?

**I am at 79% of my fundraising goal for the Heart and Stroke Foundation!  If you want to read why raising money for this cause is important to me, read about it here.  If you would like to donate, you can click on the ‘donate’ box in the left sidebar or click here!**

1 Lynn in MD May 21, 2012 at 6:58 am

Congrats on the new bike. You may find you love cycling even more than running (I did!) Before you know it you’ll be doing a triathlon (or duathlon)!

BTW, a higher seat will likely make you MORE comfortable while riding the bike….

2 Julia May 21, 2012 at 7:02 am

I just purchased a used Cannondale and it’s my new favorite thing :)

3 Sarah J May 21, 2012 at 7:08 am

I went to a bike shop a week ago and they had me looking at a Raleigh too. Which one is that? I am still waiting for a deal though!! The ones they had me trying out were $1000.00 and up!

4 Donna Gallardo May 21, 2012 at 7:09 am

Awesome! a bike is one of the greatest investments you will ever make. I love both of mine. don’t have a name for them, but I should probably get one ;)

5 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner May 21, 2012 at 7:57 am

What an awesome new bike! Can’t believe your ride is only 13 days away….it’s getting close!

6 Jenn @ Run It My Way May 21, 2012 at 8:52 am

Congrats on the new bike, it’s a beauty!!

7 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen May 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

Congrats!!!! Yes, bikes are crazy expensive! I have a bike and haven’t gotten the clip in pedals either….they kind of scare me :)

8 Danielle @WorkItWearItEatIt May 21, 2012 at 9:01 am

Which bike did you get? I was thinking of taking advantage of the promotion, too! Yes, I am still bike-less and also riding in 13 days…

9 Christina @ The Athletarian May 21, 2012 at 8:20 pm

It’s the Revenio! I can’t believe it’s so close!

10 Stephanie May 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

Congrats on the new bike! I bought one at the beginning of the spring (I’m training for a 100 mile Bike MS ride in July) and I was really admit of having the seat lower so I completely touch the ground. However, after my first real ride with it my knee was super sore for a few weeks…turns out having your seat low isn’t great for your knees…so once you’re comfortable on the bike you may want to get refitted to avoid injury!

11 Stephanie May 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

adamant*

12 Christina @ The Athletarian May 21, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I will definitely get it refitted after a couple of rides for sure. I just felt a bit safer being able to touch the ground!

13 Theresa May 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

congrats!! I just bought my first road bike last month and i LOVE it but you are right–they are CRAZY expensive and I bought the cheapest one I could get…which still ended up being expensive with the helmet and gear added in soooo yeah. but its worth it…i really enjoy cycling as an option to running, its a great workout!

14 Chelsey May 21, 2012 at 9:53 am

I just got my first road bike about a month ago! I’m doing the 2 day 200km ride to conquer cancer June 10th for my dad as well. I’m looking forward to reading about how your ride goes, maybe you’ll throw out some tips for an also newbie to cycling,

15 Alex @ therunwithin May 21, 2012 at 10:09 am

Awesome bike! I miss my bike, I haven’t pulled off its cobwebs in a while…

16 Hayley @ Oat Couture May 21, 2012 at 10:24 am

Hmmm after thinking long and hard I think you should call your bike… Clint Eastwood!! Just because he’s badass and so is your bike! On a slightly more normal note (ha!) good luck on your first ride out! :)

17 hikermom May 21, 2012 at 11:05 am

Congrats on the new bike! I just got one a few months ago and I LOVE it! Longest ride has been 30 miles. So fun!

18 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 21, 2012 at 11:31 am

Have fun with the new toy! I never fully learned to ride a bike, so no tips from me.

19 TheQuirkyGlutenFreeRunner/Amy May 21, 2012 at 11:45 am

Awesome bike. Very similar to a friend’s of mine who loves it.

Financially speaking, I don’t think these bikes aren’t that much more expensive than they were in the late 1800s, the 1940s and 50s. People as a whole just want things cheap ;-)

Enjoy your new accessory !!!!

20 Meghan Rene May 21, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Nice bike! That will be so much fun. I want a bike – but I need to save some moolah first!

21 Rachelle May 21, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Yay, yay, yay I LOVE it!!! I have absolutely zero biking advice. ha ha my Mom just got a new bike and I took it for a spin last week and thought I might die after 3 miles. I am in terrible biking shape.

You look so cute in the pictures and I am so very excited for you. :)

22 Sailor Girl May 21, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I named my bike “Gucci”. It’s got lots of bling. I love it as much as the first day I picked it up. Custom built titanium, it’s beautiful, and hand made by a dear friend. I love the power and speed you get out of biking. Enjoy!!

23 Shelly in MI May 21, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Way off subject but I love the grey pants with the fuchsia stripe. What kind are they?

24 Christina @ The Athletarian May 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Lululemon!! Thank you so much :)

25 Elle May 21, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Nice! I think you should call him GREG for Greg Lemond, tour de France winner PRE L. Armstrong.

26 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Congrats on the purchase! I am actually in the market for a new bike right now. Mine was stolen :(

27 Christina @ The Athletarian May 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I read that on your blog the other day! I’m so sorry :(

28 Katie @ Katie Moves May 21, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I have a very basic road bike from a website that was the cheapest i could find until i can afford a nice new model..i really like yours! :)

29 Katie h May 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm

I bought my first road bike this summer. I love it! But you are right clip in pedals do take some getting use to. I fell the first few times out just trying to get use to them! Hope you enjoy your bike it really is a great investment!

30 Julie May 25, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Congrats on the new bike! Your ride is so soon and your fundraising efforts are awesome. I feel like everyone is getting into biking these days and it’s something that just really scares me. Maybe one day I’ll be brave enough. Good luck in your ride, I can’t wait to read all about it.

31 mallory May 30, 2012 at 9:29 am

Beautiful bike!! I love my road bike. I’ve been riding it a lot lately and finding that I really enjoy it! Good luck on your fundraising efforts. I just reached my goal for the MS 150 last week!