food fails and a funny race photo!

by Christina @ The Athletarian on May 11, 2012

Is it just me or do all runners feel like they can eat whatever they want for three days leading up to a race…then again post race to “recover”…and then another three days after a race to “repair” muscles?!  Okay, I haven’t eaten that badly but I’ve definitely made some lame excuses over the past few days.  I went shopping with my mom on Wednesday night and this happened:

We both have a MAD love for Drumsticks and I had been craving one since race day.  It was so freaking good.  This is probably considered to be a major food fail, especially since I’m supposed to be following a pretty specific and clean diet on James Wilson’s program.  C’est la vie!  Mom buys me ice cream – I eat it!  Plus I was in between races so I’m technically repairing from my half last Sunday and fuelling for my 10K this weekend…right? ;)

Now I thought Dean and I would get a really cute photo of us crossing the finish line together on Sunday.  We even held hands like a cheesy couple and were really excited about it.  There are like 10 photos of each of us that were taken but NONE were at the finish line.  What’s up with that??  Here is my favourite though:

I was filming myself (on my phone) talking about how much pain I was in (was going to make a vlog but decided against it because it came out horrible).  I wasn’t even paying any attention to Dean and when I went to re-watch the video I saw him making creepy hand motions in the background and just about died.  I can’t believe they actually got a shot of that!  He looks like he’s about to attack me!  Ah, race photos are the best!

What’s your favourite ice cream flavour?

If you had to choose ice cream, chips, chocolate, or a bag of raw vegetables…which one would you choose?! :D

1 Siobhan @ SiobhanMcCarthyMca May 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

Hahahha I love this photo!

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life May 11, 2012 at 7:59 am

HHAHAHA I love this! Amazing pic, lol!!!

3 Cathy G May 11, 2012 at 7:59 am

Chocolate & Chocolate! Love the race photo :) You will never be able to recreate that photo. Priceless

4 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

I know! I’m thinking of buying it just because it’s so funny!

5 Maria @ The Fitness Girl Kitchen May 12, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Oh you so should buy it! :P

6 lisa j May 11, 2012 at 8:03 am

excellent /hilarious photo!
food fails for me- BACON (and lots of it) and onion rings

7 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 8:11 am

Mmmm onion rings!

8 Gemma May 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

Ice cream and dark chocolate – are the two cheats I allow in my life – wouldn’t be happy without them!

Amazing photo.

Good luck on Sunday – what corral are you in? If I see you I will say hi!

9 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

Thank you! I’m in the blue corral! I’ll be running it with Dean and he’s usually pretty easy to spot. If you see us, please come say hi!

10 Gemma May 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

Perfect – I’ll look for you – I hope the weather on Sunday is as nice as today!! Enjoy the beautiful day!

11 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 8:22 am

It’s supposed to be 19 and sunny!! Yay! I hope we can meet! Happy Friday :)

12 Carrie May 11, 2012 at 8:06 am

Best.photo.ever!

13 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen May 11, 2012 at 8:08 am

Ice cream is my biggest weakness too!!!! That picture is hilarious :)

14 Lisa@thedail May 11, 2012 at 8:09 am

That is the. Best. Race photo. ever.

15 Maria @ The Fitness Girl Kitchen May 11, 2012 at 8:10 am

LOL… this photo is hysterical! ♥ ♥ ♥ it! It is so funny because when I saw this in instagram I laughed so hard. I am not an ice cream person but when I get a craving it is for a Drumstick! They are so good!

16 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 8:15 am

I am the same! Ice cream isn’t something I usually crave but there are really specific flavours or items that I love! Drumsticks are definitely one of them! :)

17 Lindsey May 11, 2012 at 8:18 am

Chocolate! Is that crazy? I am not much for hard ice cream but love soft serve (Costco’s cafeteria is my fav) and of course my all time favorite is fro-yo!
Yes, you have to treat yourself here and there and it is totally fuel for your race :) Happy Friday!

18 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 8:22 am

Noooo that’s not crazy! I am obsessed with chocolate! You can’t bring it around me or I turn into a human vacuum! Have a great day :)

19 Ali Mc May 11, 2012 at 8:27 am

UM…..you need to buy that!

20 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile May 11, 2012 at 8:33 am

I just died, this is hilarious!

21 Jina @ Behold the Turtle May 11, 2012 at 8:47 am

Best race photo EVER.

22 MilesMusclesMom May 11, 2012 at 8:49 am

best race pic ever!!!

23 Alex @ therunwithin May 11, 2012 at 8:59 am

LOVE THIS PICTURE! It makes my day when race photos capture the not so planned moments. Precious.

24 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hahaha thanks! Yep, this wasn’t planned at all!

25 Britt@ Chicago Runner Girl May 11, 2012 at 9:04 am

Oh my gosh that is the best pic ever! I hope that you guys buy it and put it in a HUGE frame above your fireplace ;)

Drumsticks hold a special place in my heart. Recently the hubs and I found oreo drumsticks that just about killed me they were so good. Mmmm, I want one now…do you think it’s wise to use this as pre long run fuel???

26 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

I saw cookie dough ones at the store but went with the original! Oreo sounds amazing! I think it’s very wise as pre-run fuel ;)

27 Sam May 11, 2012 at 9:05 am

That photo is AWESOME! Too funny!

I LOVE, and I mean LOVE ice cream but I became lactose intolerant last year and can’t even deal with the lactose free kinds now. Biggest disappointment in my life! Enjoy your drumstick for the both of us! ;)

28 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 11:29 am

Oh nooooooo! I wish I could make your intolerance go away! I will eat a drumstick in your honour!

29 Gina R. May 11, 2012 at 9:15 am

Absolutely hilarious! I love it!! And if I could only pick one, I’d go with chocolate. It is my weakness.

30 Jenny @ The Little JBird May 11, 2012 at 9:46 am

You have to buy that photo. Have to. :D
Definitely chocolate. Yum!

31 Tink May 11, 2012 at 9:48 am

That photo is awesome!!!! If someone puts peanutbutter ice cream in front of me, forget it, I’m done!

32 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 11:30 am

I think I’m done if you put ANYTHING peanut butter in front of me!

33 Rosalia January 22, 2014 at 4:17 pm

HI. my name is Rely and i’m from Bucharest, Romania. I love this wedding and i want mine this sumemr just like this, but in Romania it’s a diffrent style. I wiil search all Bucharest for something as simple and beautiful as this. Thank you for the inspiration. If i will have my dream wedding i will send you some picture. Kisses.

34 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen May 11, 2012 at 9:57 am

Haha! Seriously, that IS the best race picture I’ve ever seen. I wonder what people on the sidelines thought while he was doing that!

35 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I know!! I wonder how many people saw it?! :P

36 Elle May 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

I like drumsticks too.

Ice cream? Hmmmm something with nuts and gooey… maple pecan? Praline almonds? yes, please.

37 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 11:29 am

You’re making me hungry, Elle!!!

38 hikermom May 11, 2012 at 10:24 am

That is so funny! I can’t believe they got that shot:) Now I really want to see your video:)

39 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 11, 2012 at 10:28 am

Haha – hilarious photo. :D As for your question, it’s hands down ice cream for me. That’s a no-brainer.

40 Danielle May 11, 2012 at 11:44 am

hahahahahahaha that is so awesome! What a funny photo but great memory?!

41 Chelsey May 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

I love pub food. Give me chicken fingers or fish and chips and I won’t be able to turn them down.

That’s an awesome picture :)

42 Christina @ The Athletarian May 11, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I used to ONLY want chicken fingers when I was younger. I don’t eat meat anymore but if someone dangled a chicken finger in front of me, I would probably have a hard time saying no! French fries too….mmmmm!

43 Masaki January 22, 2014 at 5:20 pm

to tell u the truth i love tw and i love the wanted part in this song but piubtll’s part is sort of creppy and weird they could have done much better piubtll and the wanted are talented

44 Brittany @Little b's healthy habits May 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Hahaha!! That picture made me laugh! I haven’t had ice cream in SO long… but if I were to have some, I think I would choose cookies n cream :)

45 Rachelle May 11, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Freaking love you! First of all I think it is okay to go off track eating wise every once in awhile. We are only human and it is important to remember that sometimes. Certain foods are often more about the friendships or memories than they are the calories. :)

Secondly BEST PICTURE EVER!! OMG I love you guys so much. Seriously that totally made my day. :) Have an amazing weekend!

46 Shanna May 11, 2012 at 2:53 pm

This is by far one of the best race photos i’ve ever seen. Love it!

47 Felicia May 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

okay, that is hysterical!!

48 Nicole @ Atlas Grace May 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm

OMG hilarious!!

If I had to choose I would choose ice cream covered in chocolate overtop a brownie with fudgeeos crumbled on top! I might be a 5 year old fat kid trapped in a runners body. I hear you about pre and post race carbo loading. I have a race in two weeks so I should start now, right? LOL.

I just finished an interval run (posted about it here ) and I want to eat everything right now!

Glad someone can relate!

xx Nicole

49 Christina @ The Athletarian May 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

You should definitely start carbo loading now. I guarantee it will lead to better performance on race day! hahaha!

50 Julie May 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Happens to me all the time…eat so much post-marathons and somehow try to justify by saying…”oh well I burned a bunch of calories so I’m okay.” Guess that’s why I’m curvy! LOL!

51 Mandi@runningontempeh May 11, 2012 at 8:54 pm

That’s such a cute picture!
Orange pineapple is my favourite ice cream flavour…. and I would like to choose a bag of chips, but would probably force myself to at least try to eat raw veggies first.

52 Christina @ The Athletarian May 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

Ha! That’s a good technique! I’ve never tried orange pineapple ice cream but it sounds divine!

53 Jenn's Adventures May 12, 2012 at 10:21 am

words can’t even being to describe how AMAZING that picture is — talk about a kodak moment!! You to are so cute and I’m so glad one of the race phtoags caught you two being yourself:)

54 Sarah @ feeeding the brain and body May 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

I love the photo! How did you find your race photos? Last year I got an email, but this year I haven’t got one yet! :(

55 Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach May 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm

That photo is awesome! I think you should frame it and treasure it for years to come!!

Ah, ice cream! I’m more of a fro-yo girl and prefer plain vanilla so I can dress it up with delicious toppings! YUM!

56 Lisa May 12, 2012 at 11:51 pm

That is the greatest photo haha. Awesome. I remember when I was a swimmer I would eat SO much food before and after races.

57 mallory May 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

That is the BEST race photo I’ve ever seen in my life. I love it. HAHA. So awesome. I’d chose ice cream!

58 Meghan Rene May 14, 2012 at 8:10 am

BAHAHAHAHAH! Awesome photo. That drumstick looks amazing. My mother and I used to eat them together all the time.

Mint chocolate chip – in love.

59 Genevieve May 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

First, congrats on your half marathon! I also ran the Toronto half two weekends ago. It was my first time running that distance and I had a lot of fun! As for my recovery, I wouldn’t feel too guilty about eating that Drumstick if I were you. I totally can relate to eating whatever I want post-race, and up until this past Saturday (that’s nearly a week after running the race), I wasn’t eating like my usual (relatively) healthy self.

Oh, and that’s an amazing race photo, by the way!

60 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats May 15, 2012 at 7:02 pm

That picture of you and Dean is hilarious! :) I would definitely pick ice cream. My favorite flavor is mint chocolate chip!!

61 GiGi Eats Celebrities May 15, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Wow! I have not eaten ice cream in 10 years! 10 years can you believe it!!!! If I had to choose what I would want to eat if health did not matter, I WOULD EAT THE BIGGEST NASTIEST COMBO OF ICE CREAM EVER!!! I want cake batter, mint chip….. peanutbutter… cinnamon buns, glazed donuts… I don’t even know if these are ice cream flavors, but I want them all. Hm, kind of sounds like my last meal?? LOL!!!

But lets be real, I would totally grad for the spinach and load it up with sugar free ketchup – YUM!! :) Spinach Ice Cream – NO! ha ha ha.