go green

Aaaaahhhhh!  I missed you guys!  I left my computer at Dean’s on the weekend so I have taken an unplanned 3-day hiatus.  I have so much catching up to do on my favourite blogs! :D

Over the past few days though, I have been eating my greens!!  I am pretty proud of myself, I’m not going to lie.   I was inspired when I received Tosca’s new Eat Clean Vegetarian Cookbook in the mail last week and got to work immediately!  The first thing I wanted to try was her Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup.  It was vegan and full of simple and delicious ingredients that I already had on-hand.

If there was one word to describe this soup it would be spectacular.  It was bursting with flavour!  I was so happy that there were leftovers so that I could have it for two more days!  I can’t wait to try more recipes and will provide a full review of the book very soon!

Other greens included…

…a smoothie

Frozen banana, cup of almond milk, Vega protein, handful of spinach

…kale chips (no picture…whoops!)

…and lettuce wraps

cucumber, chickpeas, black olives, feta, topped with hummus

That’s a whole lot of green and I am absolutely loving it!  I haven’t had any fish or poultry in a very long time so I think I am officially back on the veggie train.  It just feels right at the moment.  I’m always flopping back and forth with my diet to figure out what works for me.  Right now the thought of eating any meat doesn’t sit well with me so I am going to just take it day by day and see how it goes. :)

Now that you are updated on my diet (like you really cared ;) ), I leave  you with this:

Hope you all have a happy Tuesday!!

What is the best green thing you have eaten lately?!

Have you played around with your diet at all?  Experimented with vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, etc?

Comments

I love broccoli and spinach. But lately, my new go to snack, while not green, is garbanzo beans! I just cook ‘em up in water and have them out in a bowl to grab whenever I’m hungry. They’re full of protein and very yummy!

That lettuce wrap looks di-vine. I also wish cake went straight to my boobs.
    Best green thing I’ve had lately is your salt & vinegar kale chips! I’ve never played around with my diet really, but there was a time when I just never craved meat– those days are gone, hah.

Holly says

I started Paleo/Primal blueprint diets and I am in love. You can have as money fruits and vegetables, meat, eggs/eggwhites, dark chocolate, nuts, seeds and there are a ton of paleo websites/blogs with so many recipes. I took out soy, diary, and grains. I have been getting my calcium through leafy greens, almond milk, coconut milk, and I also found both variations for yogurt. I have been making a ton of smoothies and veggie omelets. My stomach use to always be “puffy” even though I’m fairly skinny. Now its much flatter. I just am missing diary… like chobani.. use to be my favorite! There’s so many diets/lifestyles out there. I’m always switching around too!

I’m playing with my diet right now! I’m in my third week of paleo and doing the Whole30, I’m really enjoying it. I understand just following your body and eating what feels right. Glad you are enjoying Tosca’s new book, that sound looks and sounds amazing!

Yum, I love a veggie filled diet! I have been adding more animal protein into my diet lately, but I love eating vegetarian meals for the most part!

I tried turnip greens last night and they were GROSS… very very bitter.
    I’m obsessed with asparagus and eat as much as possible!
    I used to do 2-3 days a week of vegetarian, but haven’t lately :(
    It’s hard to get a lot of protein on a vegetarian diet, well not as easy as just eating a piece of chicken! HaHa, but I’m sick of chicken.

just had green asparagus for lunch in my salad made of cherry tomatoes, veggie pasta (they were orange because of the carrots ^^) and pieces of fish …yummyyyyy :)
    I’m mostly eating fish , I hate red meat (something with the blood :S) but I cannot skip a good chiken ;)

I have been vegetarian, vegan, raw vegan and currently am more paleo. Like you, I have been experimenting for quite some time to figure out what works best for me. I felt great being raw vegan, but it wasn’t a sustainable lifestyle for me (I did it as part of a detox). And, I don’t know how that would mix with my weight training and workouts these days. When I started the 12 week Live Fit Trainer, I found that being vegan and weight training the way I was left me sluggish and my workouts didn’t feel like they were progressing at all. I added meat back in my diet (grass-fed and free range, local when possible) and found that my workouts were much more productive. I gained more strength in my legs in 6 weeks than I had in the previous 6 months! So, for ME (I don’t eat soy either), being more paleo is a better option. I love my veg, fresh green juices and green smoothies. This diet is what is working best for me now. I might find some combination that works better for me in the future. ;) It’s all a learning process!

ahhhh! I love that ecard. hilarious and serious all at the same time :)

I have been eating mad spinach, it really makes me feel the best. Overall I am trying to each more veggies as well. It can be a tough task sometimes…

I can’t wait to get my CSA shares coming this spring so I can get lots of fresh kale and veggies in my life :) I’m really bad about buying them in store–so I’ll be happy to be forced to eat them!

• 11

GayMarie says

Move to California and you can get your organic delivered weekly. It really forces you to try new veggies and they are so good because they are in season and fresh. best to you.

Haha I love the cake picture. So funny and so true for me!! I’ve been eating a lot better and I haven’t eaten meat in 53 days. I don’t know that I’d call myself a vegetarian but I am not eating meat. I might have fish this summer because I enjoy fish in the summer time but I don’t plan to eat anything else. And maybe not even the fish. I like eating more veggies and have found that I feel a lot better. I am trying to find more recipes of things to eat so I can have more of a variety. Your post made me hungry.

GayMarie says

I love the “mean green or green lemonade” juice from Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Got a juicer for Christmas. In it is: celery, cucumber, kale, spinach, 2 green apples, ginger, and lemon. Sooo good.

haha love that picture at the end :) I am ironically back on the meat train haha – I am not forcing it, but if a meal has it in there, I am not avoiding either – can’t wait to see your review on that book!

I’ve never experiemented with various diets. I kind of have always followed what my body is craving. I think of it as – if my body is needing something – than I should eat it! I am currently enjoying a green smoothie :)

That soup sounds delicious! Yum I love me some brocolli. I really love green food! (yay for st. pattys day). ;) brocolli, cucumbers, asparagus, and kiwi are a few of my favorites. :)

Have an amazing week!

Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance says

i really just eat a whole lot of spinach and celery…so i havent “made” anything green but have been eating a lot of it. anyway. man. friend. i feel like you posted this at the right time for me. i have been thinking A LOT about my diet lately and where to go from here. i have felt sick the past 2/3 times i have had meat because i just hardly ever eat it any more. i have never really “loved” meat anyway so I feel like i could live without it and eat only sparingly…but i want to make sure i am still eating balanced with protein, etc…you know?!? anyway…i am just in this weird “trying to figure out whats best for me” stage. haha.

All you green yummy food looks delicious, thanks for the inspiration :)

And I love how you are flexible with your diet and listen to what your body likes! I’m pretty similar. I just don’t love the thought of meat, but I’m not going to rule it out of my life 100%!

I’ve experimented so many times with my diet, one week I’m vegetarian, the next vegan, and next I love meat. I just go with what I’m craving and don’t label myself as anything. I’ve been loving my green smoothies lately :)

bahahahaha. i love those little ecards. hilarious. everytime I heard the phrase “go green” I add “for good” at the end because I always have the musical Wicked in my head.

I finally added green food back into my life after about a week or two without. put spinach in my smoothie and eggs last night. though, now that I think about it, I have been drinking green from TJ’s http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article.asp?article_id=505

though it is pasturized and a tad sweet. . .

If cake went to boobs – I’d have DD’s :)

but alas I have – A’s ….yep, that’s is a negative sign ;)

I love the idea of lettuce wraps! so much fun!!!!!

Mallory says

Vegetarian diet is going well. I need to take some more time to prepare other things and I’d like to get more creative with lunches. I moved less than two weeks ago so I’m hoping that when I settle more that I will do it. I feel good and I don’t miss eating the meat. I think my diet has been healthier and I’ve expanded my options but I am also scared to try to make new things. Baby steps.

I love eating greens, I eat them daily but I try to have my kids eat at least 1.5 cup of greens at the end of the week. I need to get a hold of that book, sounds wonderful. Glad to hear you took a break, I kinda have been too, well my little 2 y/o has been keeping me away from my computer, so time to catch up on my fav blogs too! Have a great week!

Those wraps look so good! I love the Mediterranean inspired flavours in them. Feta, black olives and hummus are the best!

The best green thing I’ve eaten lately was roasted brussels sprouts. Except I like to roast mine until they’re almost brown. ;)

Wow. I must say, I am seriously impressed! Your body is flowing with antioxidants. I think green can turn some people off, but all that stuff looks really good!

I am right there with you! I’ve been a flip flopper vegetarian and vegan – started eating dairy and poultry a bit and now I’m back on veggie at least this week. Trying to follow the body takes some work huh? I’m totally excited about Tosca’s Book! That soup sounds amazing!

haha…okay, that last pic got to me…but the thing is i’m actually okay with being a flat chested runner! :)

i love me my fruits and veggies and am a fan of broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots in particular. as for begin a veg head, i’m not a fan of any meat except chicken or turkey, but i’ll eat anything under the sea! :)

I’ve been having a TON of greens in my green smoothies as a part of the 7-day green smoothie challenge!! Also have a new challenge on my blog for today…an ABS challenge :) Check it out!

I tend to be a flexatarian. I try to eat clean, feed my body what it needs especially iron rich food as I am consistently low on iron and have dipped into the anemic stage a few times.
    I stay away from processed foods as much as possible, and fill my plate with good healthy produce.
    Oh and I think the lettuce has gone to my boobs…you know, flat! lol ;)

Thought I’d add this definition in case people were wondering about the term ‘flexitarian’

“A relatively new term, flexitarian comes from a combination of the words “flexible” and “vegetarian.” Following a flexitarian diet simply means eating more plant-based meals and less meat.”