Mount Everest & Salad Goal

by Christina @ The Athletarian on March 23, 2012

Happy Friday!  I love Fridays.  Why?  Because I get to see Dean (actually I see him almost every day) and we often hang out at bookstores.  We are such party animals on the weekend, I can hardly contain myself.  I really like going to Chapters and spending time reading (do fitness magazines classify as reading?).

Last week (while at the bookstore) I was flipping through Fitness RX and came across a treadmill workout done by a fitness model called ‘Mount Everest’.  If someone has the magazine please tell me what her name is!!  I just took a lame picture of the workout with my phone so I could remember to try it out and didn’t catch who it was.  I would like to credit her if possible. (read #9)

Though it sounded torturous (WHO in their right mind runs at 15% incline?!) I tried it out this morning and it was by far the toughest treadmill workout I have ever done.  My treadmill at home only goes up to 12% incline so I stayed at that for a few minutes before I started decreasing.  Try it out and let me know what you think (if you survive)!

***

About two weeks back I, along with a bunch of readers, set a goal to have no sweets for a month (how is everyone doing with that, by the way?).  We’re more than halfway there!!  I like setting goals SO much that I set another one for myself.  This might sound crazy because a lot of you probably do this naturally, but I am going to make the effort to eat a big salad as a meal once a day.  I’ve talked over and over again about the struggle I have with eating vegetables but I have been feeling sluggish lately and I think it’s due to the lack of nutrients in my body.  I am craving raw, fresh, and colourful foods.  Salads seem like the perfect answer.  I won’t lie, I get bored by them but I am going to try really hard to get creative and pack as much fun into my salads as I can.  I hope to come up woth some really yummy ones so that I can share them with you! :D

I think this might help with my veggie consumption too!!!  I JUST got it delivered to my house by Mr. UPS (who knows me by name now) right after my Mount Everest workout.  BEST start to my morning.  I’ll be doing a full review soon but if you would like to learn a little more or even order one for yourself, just click here!

What does a typical Friday night look like for you?

Do you eat a lot of salads?  What do you put in them?

1 Luvena March 23, 2012 at 9:59 am

Oh you are braver then me! I read that same interview in Fitness RX and thought to myself “HECK NO”!…but I may try it out tomorrow (if I fell brave LOL). Good job geting through it. Can you say “JEALOUS MUCH”? YES!!! You got the cookbook! Can’t wait to get mine. I have to wait for payday..BOOOO.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the experimenting I sure will be going on ;0).

2 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hahaha try it out!! It’s tough but it really feels amazing. Plus, you are only really running for the 40 seconds and then you have a 20 second break to look forward to!

Hope you have a great weekend too! There will definitely be a lot of experimenting going on. Can’t wait to share!! :D

3 ana March 23, 2012 at 10:09 am

Wow really loving that treadmill HIIT!! Trying that out for tonights workout (:

4 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

Let me know how you like it!

5 Siobhan @SiobhanMcCarthy.ca March 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

15% Incline?! OMG! That is just craaaaaazy!!! I’m back to runnign outdoors or else I would have totally tried that one!

And spending a day at Chapters is my favourite!! Tonight it’s a surprise party for my friends birthday. As for salad- I love it in the spring and summer! I’m looking into new salad recipes. If I come across a fun one I will let you know!

6 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

Yeah it’s pretty bananas!! Totally feel the burn though :)

Good to know I’m not the only one who loves Chapters so much!! Have fun at your friend’s birthday party!! :)

7 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 23, 2012 at 10:26 am

Way to go with the challenge! You’re getting there.

That workout sounds waaaay too hard for me. Perhaps if I did it walking! :)

8 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

I bet you it would burn walking too! I did more of a jog than a run. I wanted to test it out safely first and maybe I will try a faster run next time! Have a great weekend, Tiff!

9 Jenn @ Run It My Way March 23, 2012 at 10:28 am

I actually do really like salads, though I don’t eat nearly as many of them as I should. I love doing ‘weird’ salads or adding different ingredients – like a salad with alfalfa sprouts as a base (instead of lettuce) then throwing in tomato, some type of berry (blackberries are actually really good on alfalfa!), cucumber slices, chopped bell peppers and pine nuts or crushed almonds for some texture.

Another one I had recently that was REALLY good was a twist on the traditional greek salad – no lettuce and veggies chopped in large pieces – cucumber, tomato, chick peas, mushroom, red and green bell pepper, etc. For dressing use plain yogurt (or better, greek yogurt!) with some dill or curry powder mixed in. YUM!

10 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 10:32 am

Mmmm berries in salads are SO yummy!! That Greek salad sounds really delicious. I’m going to have to give that one a shot for sure. Do you use feta cheese too? :D

11 Jenn @ Run It My Way March 26, 2012 at 10:42 am

I do use either Feta or Goat cheese (my current obsession!)

12 Amanda March 23, 2012 at 10:48 am

Hopping on and off the treadmill every 20-40 seconds sounds almost as hard as the increasing incline. I prefer to run outside, but if I want to torture myself like the Mt Everest workout, all I have to do is run up the hill that I now live at the top of. It’s +300 feet over the course of .7 miles, which I think averages out to an 8% incline, but there’s a good continuous 1/3 of a mile in there that is an 11.5% incline. (Can you tell I’ve spent time looking at my Garmin data?) It is rough and my goal is to run up the whole thing. Problem is, it’s always at the end of my runs.

I need some new salad topping inspiration. I like apples, walnuts or pecans + some kind of cheese on spinach. I have a Thai peanut dressing from Trader joe’s that I like, I usually put slivered almonds, carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli on that salad.

13 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 10:54 am

WOW! That hill sounds like a nightmare!!! I hope you get up the whole thing soon!!

Thanks for the salad topping ideas! I wish we had a Trader Joe’s here. I have heard from so many people that their salad dressing are amazing. Thai peanut sounds amazing!

14 Lindsey March 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

After work we go to the gym, then have a lazy supper (homemade pizza, tacos, grilled cheese & soup) and eat in the livingroom while catching up on PVR’d TV shows from the week.
I eat salads almost every day for lunch, spinach is always the base then I add more veggies – tomato, cucumber, peppers, carrots usually, a healthy fat – avocado and hummus as dressing, then usually black beans, chickpeas or a hard boiled egg for protein.

15 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

That sounds like a perfect Friday night to me!!!

Good call on using hummus as a dressing! I think I would really love that! Thank you so much!

16 Amylee March 23, 2012 at 11:20 am

Fridays are my favorite too because I finally get to see my husband! Yay! TGIF.

17 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 11:27 am

Yay! Husbands and boyfriends are the best! Happy Friday!

18 Erin March 23, 2012 at 11:27 am

I love salads! In the summers I usually eat one a day. I’ll make one for dinner, plus an extra one for my lunch the next day. My salads usually end with almost more “toppings” than lettuce – which I usually use just pure spinach now. Often I just make it an “everything” salad and top with a little bit of every vegetable I have in my fridge!

I almost always have baby carrots, cucumber, and red bell pepper (or orange or yellow, or all three, but never green! I think it’s kind of bitter and definitely not as sweet)
Love avocado on salads! Sometimes broccoli or cauliflower cut up small, jicama (not sure if you’ll have that- I live in the southwest so we do!), raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, chopped raw almonds, bleu cheese, slices of mandarin oranges (cuties), chopped apples or pears. Sometimes I’ll top with grilled chicken too.
I found this fig balsamic vinegar I love and I use it all the time, with everything. Goes really well when I put fruit like pears or apples in too.

19 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 11:29 am

That is the best salad comment ever!! I actually have tried jicama at a vegan restaurant here and LOVE it. haven’t seen it at my usual grocery store yet so I’m going to have to hunt some down! Thanks for all the suggestions. They all sound great, especially the fruit. I love fruit in salads! :)

20 Erin March 23, 2012 at 11:50 am

Try looking in an Asian market for jicama!
If you’ve never seen fresh (unpeeled) jicama, it’s the big rounded light brown root. You have to peel the outside, you’ll need a sharp knife. Should not be with chilled veggies that get sprayed with water – I always find it kinda near the root vegetables.

21 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Awesome. Thanks so much. I think I will take a look this weekend! Ahhh I can’t wait to try it!

22 Amanda - RunToTheFinish March 23, 2012 at 11:29 am

seriously the treadmill running on an incline is crazy hard!! especially since I get 0 hills in FL, but i really like that work so I may steal it too!!

23 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

Definitely try it out and let me know what you think! Lucky you live in FL. I love it there. Drove down from here once…took forever but the three-week trip was SO worth it!

24 Nicole March 23, 2012 at 11:40 am

We eat salad with dinner every night and usually I eat it with lunch too, nothing impressive – lettuce (romaine usually) and spinach with whatever other veggies I have on hand. I LOVE a big salad with as many veggies and meat as I can fit into a bowl, yum!! For dressing I usually just use oil and vinegar or lemon juice. Friday nights are spent at home, or rarely going to a movie, we are definately not party animals! That workout sounds great and killer, must try next week!

25 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I am aiming for big salads just like you!! Lemon juice sounds fantastic! :)

Have a nice and relaxed Friday evening!

26 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner March 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I may have to try that hill workout – sounds intense! I think I have walked at 15% on my TM once just to see what it was like and that was hard enough…
Friday night is usually pretty boring but tonight we’re going out for dinner and to see Hunger Games and I’m SO EXCITED!

27 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I want to see that movie so bad!! I know the lineups will be crazy tonight though so I might have to wait it out! Can’t wait to hear what you think of it! :D

28 Alexandra March 23, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Dannnggg that workout sounds hardcore! I think I’d probably keel over haha Enjoy your new book and your Friday, love! :D

29 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Hahaha a little bit hardcore! Thank you!!! You too, girl!!

30 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 23, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Good lord. Walking at 15% incline will put me near my max heart rate. That is not for me. I’ve been doing really good getting my veggies, but not in salads. I just haven’t been craving them and I’m waiting for that to kick in :) Hopefully it will come with the warmer weather.

31 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm

The warm weather has definitely got me craving all things fresh and delicious! At least you get your veggies in other ways! :)

32 Haley @ Climb Run Lift Mom March 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm

That TM workout looks awesome :) And that cookbook! I love Tosca Reno so I can imagine that would be an excellent cookbook. Can’t wait to hear how you like it. I love salads. My favorite salads aren’t very healthy though, lol.

33 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Haha yes, there are some very tasty unhealthy salads out there!! Hey, they are still probably better than some other options! Have a great Friday night!

34 lisa@thedailyrundown March 23, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Friday nights I goto bed early so I can wake up and get my long run in on Saturday morning!
I eat a salad before dinner every. single. day. and usually one for lunch too.
I have a theory that almost everything tastes better over lettuce!
My dinner salad is almost always the same: (all organic, if I’m eating it raw, I try to make sure it’s organic)
Mixed baby greens
Plum Tomatoes
Red Pepper
Purple Onion
English Cucumber
Kalamata Olives
Balsamic vinaigrette
If it’s a lunch salad I’ll add quinoa, chick peas, turkey, egg whites, etc… to bulk it up.

35 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Ahhh you are like the salad QUEEN!!! I LOVE kalamata olives…actually, I love ALL olives! Thanks for all of the amazing suggestions!

36 Ed March 23, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Congrats on getting half way there! It can not be an easy feet and I am glad to hear you are meeting your goals!

On the weekends I look forward to my elaborate breakfast of bacon and eggs (i know not that elaborate) and relaxing all morning…as you can see i am a party animal too, eh?

37 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Bacon and eggs – the breakfast of champions!! I usually look forward to pancakes. I love them! :)

38 Kim March 23, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Sometimes I put rice on top of a salad! Warmed up brown rice and veg stirfry from the night before-on top of lettuce and a bit of olive oil and red wine vinegar! Seems like a weird hot/cold combo but its good!

39 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Actually that sounds really tasty to me!! You’re making me hungry!

40 A Fine balance March 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I have a second job, so Work and reading too : )

41 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Aw…make the most of it, girl!! I hope you have a happy weekend!

42 Rachelle March 23, 2012 at 2:33 pm

That treadmill workout is intense! You are such a rockstar girl. Way to go!!! Yay for salad I love, love, love it!! I have been making a lot of southwest type salads lately with half protein ranch/half bbq sauce mixed together as the dressing. I always add corn, green pepper, hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, chicken, and black beans. Love it!

And I am always a looser on Friday nights…usually gearing up for a LR on saturday and all pooped out from the work week. Tonight I think I will go for a long walk outside because it is 70 degree out. Yay!!

43 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Mmmm southwest salad sounds AMAZING! I’m going to have to steal your idea! Good to know I’m not the only one who has a relaxed Friday night. I’m hoping for a nice run in the morning as well. I hope your walk is as awesome as it sounds! 70 degree weather?!?! Holy cow! The weather has been crazy hot here too. I’m loving it!! xoxoxo

44 Meg March 23, 2012 at 3:35 pm

You make me smile :) We are far too much alike :) I am actually going grocery shopping tonight for my BIG outing of the eve :) Haha! Part animal for sure! No wonder we are besties eh? ;)

I have salads each and every day already! Come on girl – gimme a challenge ;)

45 Christina @ The Athletarian March 23, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I know, right?! Grocery shopping is one of my favourite things to do!

I know you eat salads every day. I’m sorry I have no challenges for you!! I’ll try and think of something! :)

46 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 24, 2012 at 7:04 am

My Friday nights usually involve getting sushi for dinner with Meg and then hitting up the mall or Starbucks after. Then I’m home and in bed by 10:30. As you can tell, I’m a giant party animal too haha. ;)

I love big salads! Here are some of my favourite combos:

- Spinach, chicken, pear, beets, goat cheese, toasted almonds, dried figs and a sweet balsamic dressing
- Spinach, tofu, avocado, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, sweet peppers, and thinned out hummus for dressing
- Massaged kale, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, parsley, quinoa, and a lemon/olive oil dressing
- spinach, salmon, orange, cucumber, sweet peppers, beets, dried cranberries, toasted almonds, goat cheese, and an orange balsamic dressing

Hope that gave you some ideas! :D

47 Christina @ The Athletarian March 24, 2012 at 9:38 am

Chelsea, you are the BEST! First off, I’m jealous that you guys get to hang out. You have got to come to Fresh in Toronto one day! Thank you SO much for all of these salad suggestions! I am so excited to try some of them out :) What do you thin out your hummus with?

48 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 25, 2012 at 6:51 am

Yes!!! I would love that! :D

I thin it out with some freshly squeezed lemon juice and water. I never really measure anything, I just go by taste!

49 Zoe March 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

I was totally rockin’ the Mt Everest run when I realized my treadmill maxes out at 10%! Bummer. But it was a good shorter run to get me ready for tomorrow’s long run! Love your blog! Xoxo

50 Christina @ The Athletarian March 24, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, mine maxed out at 12%!! Still a great burn though. I’m happy you enjoyed it! I have a longish run tomorrow too! Can’t wait!! Thanks for the blog love! Hope you have a great weekend! :)

51 Julie March 24, 2012 at 11:16 am

I love book stores too. So nice to know others do as well.

I eat a salad mostly every day. I honestly never get bored with it. But you can always get creative. Add some dried cranberries, or some fresh grapefruit or oranges, pomegranates too. Something about the tangy sweetness is awesome. And add some type of nuts. I love soy nuts, or almonds. And chickpeas! I rarely even need to use dressing.

52 Christina @ The Athletarian March 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I just got some grapefruits so I will definitely add those! I’ve got to get me some dried fruit though. That sounds delicious!

53 Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl March 24, 2012 at 11:25 am

That sounds like one kick booty tready workout! Wowzers!

54 Christina @ The Athletarian March 24, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Oh it was!! Good luck tomorrow, Britt! YOU are the one who’s gonna be kicking some major booty!

55 Felicia March 24, 2012 at 1:15 pm

i eat a salad almost daily! usually its my base for the rest of my meal. lots of raw veggies – peppers, onion, cuc’s, tomatoes, etc

56 Christina @ The Athletarian March 26, 2012 at 9:14 am

That’s my goal! A salad a day! Thanks for the suggestions! ;)

57 Anita March 25, 2012 at 2:35 am

My favourite thing ever to put on a salad is tahina. But not just plain tahina, I take about a cup of raw tahina, add some water and mix, throw in some crushed garlic, a pinch of salt, and half a lemon and mix it well, add more water and mix until it looks creamy…..I could eat it with a spoon like a soup! It really makes a salad more delish!

58 Anita March 25, 2012 at 2:40 am

for the salad I just dice cucumber, onion, tomato, red & yellow pepper really small, its an israeli salad and throw some tahina on there and trust me you’ll be eating salad as breakfast, lunch and dinner :)

59 Christina @ The Athletarian March 26, 2012 at 9:16 am

Mmmm that sounds really delicious! I love all of those flavours and combinations! :)

60 Sophie @ Love Live & Learn March 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That sounds like a killer workout!

I love setting myself goals too, I really find that they help me to focus. I like your salad-a-day goal, I really should do something like this, I’d like to eat more raw vegetables! I do love eating salads in the summer though so it’s nice that the weather is warming up :-)

A typical Friday night for me when I’m at uni is curling up in my blanket, checking some of my favourite blogs and reading a good book, very student-like :-P A typical Friday night at home is usually snuggling up on the sofa with my boyfriend and watching a film, or going out for a meal together :-)

61 Christina @ The Athletarian March 26, 2012 at 9:17 am

That sounds like a perfect night to me! We sound very similar!

62 Meghan Rene March 25, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I just found your blog and already love it! I adore salads – but I don’t eat enough. I tend to sneak some veggies into my smoothies. I enjoy fruit and chicken in my salads!!

Normally on Friday nights we have movie/dinner date night. I do my long runs on Saturday – so I believe the popcorn fuels my AM runs!!!

63 Christina @ The Athletarian March 26, 2012 at 9:18 am

Thank you so much for the blog love!! :)

I sneak spinach into my smoothies all the time. Can’t even taste it!

I think I should try popcorn before my next long run… ;)

64 Ali Mc March 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I don’t even know if I already commented on this….I love Fridays b/c it’s my night alone! COMPLETELY ALONE :) it’s really nice.

You are such a cutie with that eat clean book! lol they seriously need to hire you on ;)

65 Christina @ The Athletarian March 27, 2012 at 8:27 am

Aw I can imagine how nice that must be!! You are such a busy girl. You need nights where you just relax and enjoy yourself! :)

66 mallory March 26, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I am getting better at liking salads. I like cucumbers, carrots and dressing. Haha, I’m not that adventurous. I have been putting tomatoes in my salad as well and recently I put soy beans on it and that was good too.

67 Christina @ The Athletarian March 27, 2012 at 8:28 am

Cucumbers and carrots are my favourite too! Soy beans are definitely a great way to add some protein! How is your vegetarian diet doing?!?! I’m so curious :)