Mount Everest & Salad Goal

Happy Friday!  I love Fridays.  Why?  Because I get to see Dean (actually I see him almost every day) and we often hang out at bookstores.  We are such party animals on the weekend, I can hardly contain myself.  I really like going to Chapters and spending time reading (do fitness magazines classify as reading?).

Last week (while at the bookstore) I was flipping through Fitness RX and came across a treadmill workout done by a fitness model called ‘Mount Everest’.  If someone has the magazine please tell me what her name is!!  I just took a lame picture of the workout with my phone so I could remember to try it out and didn’t catch who it was.  I would like to credit her if possible. (read #9)

Though it sounded torturous (WHO in their right mind runs at 15% incline?!) I tried it out this morning and it was by far the toughest treadmill workout I have ever done.  My treadmill at home only goes up to 12% incline so I stayed at that for a few minutes before I started decreasing.  Try it out and let me know what you think (if you survive)!

***

About two weeks back I, along with a bunch of readers, set a goal to have no sweets for a month (how is everyone doing with that, by the way?).  We’re more than halfway there!!  I like setting goals SO much that I set another one for myself.  This might sound crazy because a lot of you probably do this naturally, but I am going to make the effort to eat a big salad as a meal once a day.  I’ve talked over and over again about the struggle I have with eating vegetables but I have been feeling sluggish lately and I think it’s due to the lack of nutrients in my body.  I am craving raw, fresh, and colourful foods.  Salads seem like the perfect answer.  I won’t lie, I get bored by them but I am going to try really hard to get creative and pack as much fun into my salads as I can.  I hope to come up woth some really yummy ones so that I can share them with you! :D

I think this might help with my veggie consumption too!!!  I JUST got it delivered to my house by Mr. UPS (who knows me by name now) right after my Mount Everest workout.  BEST start to my morning.  I’ll be doing a full review soon but if you would like to learn a little more or even order one for yourself, just click here!

What does a typical Friday night look like for you?

Do you eat a lot of salads?  What do you put in them?

Comments

Luvena says

Oh you are braver then me! I read that same interview in Fitness RX and thought to myself “HECK NO”!…but I may try it out tomorrow (if I fell brave LOL). Good job geting through it. Can you say “JEALOUS MUCH”? YES!!! You got the cookbook! Can’t wait to get mine. I have to wait for payday..BOOOO.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the experimenting I sure will be going on ;0).

• 2

Hahaha try it out!! It’s tough but it really feels amazing. Plus, you are only really running for the 40 seconds and then you have a 20 second break to look forward to!

Hope you have a great weekend too! There will definitely be a lot of experimenting going on. Can’t wait to share!! :D

15% Incline?! OMG! That is just craaaaaazy!!! I’m back to runnign outdoors or else I would have totally tried that one!

And spending a day at Chapters is my favourite!! Tonight it’s a surprise party for my friends birthday. As for salad- I love it in the spring and summer! I’m looking into new salad recipes. If I come across a fun one I will let you know!

I actually do really like salads, though I don’t eat nearly as many of them as I should. I love doing ‘weird’ salads or adding different ingredients – like a salad with alfalfa sprouts as a base (instead of lettuce) then throwing in tomato, some type of berry (blackberries are actually really good on alfalfa!), cucumber slices, chopped bell peppers and pine nuts or crushed almonds for some texture.

Another one I had recently that was REALLY good was a twist on the traditional greek salad – no lettuce and veggies chopped in large pieces – cucumber, tomato, chick peas, mushroom, red and green bell pepper, etc. For dressing use plain yogurt (or better, greek yogurt!) with some dill or curry powder mixed in. YUM!

Hopping on and off the treadmill every 20-40 seconds sounds almost as hard as the increasing incline. I prefer to run outside, but if I want to torture myself like the Mt Everest workout, all I have to do is run up the hill that I now live at the top of. It’s +300 feet over the course of .7 miles, which I think averages out to an 8% incline, but there’s a good continuous 1/3 of a mile in there that is an 11.5% incline. (Can you tell I’ve spent time looking at my Garmin data?) It is rough and my goal is to run up the whole thing. Problem is, it’s always at the end of my runs.

I need some new salad topping inspiration. I like apples, walnuts or pecans + some kind of cheese on spinach. I have a Thai peanut dressing from Trader joe’s that I like, I usually put slivered almonds, carrots, sugar snap peas, broccoli on that salad.

• 13

WOW! That hill sounds like a nightmare!!! I hope you get up the whole thing soon!!

Thanks for the salad topping ideas! I wish we had a Trader Joe’s here. I have heard from so many people that their salad dressing are amazing. Thai peanut sounds amazing!

After work we go to the gym, then have a lazy supper (homemade pizza, tacos, grilled cheese & soup) and eat in the livingroom while catching up on PVR’d TV shows from the week.
    I eat salads almost every day for lunch, spinach is always the base then I add more veggies – tomato, cucumber, peppers, carrots usually, a healthy fat – avocado and hummus as dressing, then usually black beans, chickpeas or a hard boiled egg for protein.

Erin says

I love salads! In the summers I usually eat one a day. I’ll make one for dinner, plus an extra one for my lunch the next day. My salads usually end with almost more “toppings” than lettuce – which I usually use just pure spinach now. Often I just make it an “everything” salad and top with a little bit of every vegetable I have in my fridge!

I almost always have baby carrots, cucumber, and red bell pepper (or orange or yellow, or all three, but never green! I think it’s kind of bitter and definitely not as sweet)
    Love avocado on salads! Sometimes broccoli or cauliflower cut up small, jicama (not sure if you’ll have that- I live in the southwest so we do!), raisins, dried cranberries, walnuts, chopped raw almonds, bleu cheese, slices of mandarin oranges (cuties), chopped apples or pears. Sometimes I’ll top with grilled chicken too.
    I found this fig balsamic vinegar I love and I use it all the time, with everything. Goes really well when I put fruit like pears or apples in too.

• 19

That is the best salad comment ever!! I actually have tried jicama at a vegan restaurant here and LOVE it. haven’t seen it at my usual grocery store yet so I’m going to have to hunt some down! Thanks for all the suggestions. They all sound great, especially the fruit. I love fruit in salads! :)

• 20

Erin says

Try looking in an Asian market for jicama!
        If you’ve never seen fresh (unpeeled) jicama, it’s the big rounded light brown root. You have to peel the outside, you’ll need a sharp knife. Should not be with chilled veggies that get sprayed with water – I always find it kinda near the root vegetables.

We eat salad with dinner every night and usually I eat it with lunch too, nothing impressive – lettuce (romaine usually) and spinach with whatever other veggies I have on hand. I LOVE a big salad with as many veggies and meat as I can fit into a bowl, yum!! For dressing I usually just use oil and vinegar or lemon juice. Friday nights are spent at home, or rarely going to a movie, we are definately not party animals! That workout sounds great and killer, must try next week!

I may have to try that hill workout – sounds intense! I think I have walked at 15% on my TM once just to see what it was like and that was hard enough…
    Friday night is usually pretty boring but tonight we’re going out for dinner and to see Hunger Games and I’m SO EXCITED!

Good lord. Walking at 15% incline will put me near my max heart rate. That is not for me. I’ve been doing really good getting my veggies, but not in salads. I just haven’t been craving them and I’m waiting for that to kick in :) Hopefully it will come with the warmer weather.

That TM workout looks awesome :) And that cookbook! I love Tosca Reno so I can imagine that would be an excellent cookbook. Can’t wait to hear how you like it. I love salads. My favorite salads aren’t very healthy though, lol.

Friday nights I goto bed early so I can wake up and get my long run in on Saturday morning!
    I eat a salad before dinner every. single. day. and usually one for lunch too.
    I have a theory that almost everything tastes better over lettuce!
    My dinner salad is almost always the same: (all organic, if I’m eating it raw, I try to make sure it’s organic)
    Mixed baby greens
    Plum Tomatoes
    Red Pepper
    Purple Onion
    English Cucumber
    Kalamata Olives
    Balsamic vinaigrette
    If it’s a lunch salad I’ll add quinoa, chick peas, turkey, egg whites, etc… to bulk it up.

Congrats on getting half way there! It can not be an easy feet and I am glad to hear you are meeting your goals!

On the weekends I look forward to my elaborate breakfast of bacon and eggs (i know not that elaborate) and relaxing all morning…as you can see i am a party animal too, eh?

Kim says

Sometimes I put rice on top of a salad! Warmed up brown rice and veg stirfry from the night before-on top of lettuce and a bit of olive oil and red wine vinegar! Seems like a weird hot/cold combo but its good!

That treadmill workout is intense! You are such a rockstar girl. Way to go!!! Yay for salad I love, love, love it!! I have been making a lot of southwest type salads lately with half protein ranch/half bbq sauce mixed together as the dressing. I always add corn, green pepper, hard boiled egg, cottage cheese, chicken, and black beans. Love it!

And I am always a looser on Friday nights…usually gearing up for a LR on saturday and all pooped out from the work week. Tonight I think I will go for a long walk outside because it is 70 degree out. Yay!!

• 43

Mmmm southwest salad sounds AMAZING! I’m going to have to steal your idea! Good to know I’m not the only one who has a relaxed Friday night. I’m hoping for a nice run in the morning as well. I hope your walk is as awesome as it sounds! 70 degree weather?!?! Holy cow! The weather has been crazy hot here too. I’m loving it!! xoxoxo

You make me smile :) We are far too much alike :) I am actually going grocery shopping tonight for my BIG outing of the eve :) Haha! Part animal for sure! No wonder we are besties eh? ;)

I have salads each and every day already! Come on girl – gimme a challenge ;)

My Friday nights usually involve getting sushi for dinner with Meg and then hitting up the mall or Starbucks after. Then I’m home and in bed by 10:30. As you can tell, I’m a giant party animal too haha. ;)

I love big salads! Here are some of my favourite combos:

- Spinach, chicken, pear, beets, goat cheese, toasted almonds, dried figs and a sweet balsamic dressing
    - Spinach, tofu, avocado, carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, sweet peppers, and thinned out hummus for dressing
    - Massaged kale, chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, parsley, quinoa, and a lemon/olive oil dressing
    - spinach, salmon, orange, cucumber, sweet peppers, beets, dried cranberries, toasted almonds, goat cheese, and an orange balsamic dressing

Hope that gave you some ideas! :D

Zoe says

I was totally rockin’ the Mt Everest run when I realized my treadmill maxes out at 10%! Bummer. But it was a good shorter run to get me ready for tomorrow’s long run! Love your blog! Xoxo

Julie says

I love book stores too. So nice to know others do as well.

I eat a salad mostly every day. I honestly never get bored with it. But you can always get creative. Add some dried cranberries, or some fresh grapefruit or oranges, pomegranates too. Something about the tangy sweetness is awesome. And add some type of nuts. I love soy nuts, or almonds. And chickpeas! I rarely even need to use dressing.

i eat a salad almost daily! usually its my base for the rest of my meal. lots of raw veggies – peppers, onion, cuc’s, tomatoes, etc

Anita says

My favourite thing ever to put on a salad is tahina. But not just plain tahina, I take about a cup of raw tahina, add some water and mix, throw in some crushed garlic, a pinch of salt, and half a lemon and mix it well, add more water and mix until it looks creamy…..I could eat it with a spoon like a soup! It really makes a salad more delish!

That sounds like a killer workout!

I love setting myself goals too, I really find that they help me to focus. I like your salad-a-day goal, I really should do something like this, I’d like to eat more raw vegetables! I do love eating salads in the summer though so it’s nice that the weather is warming up :-)

A typical Friday night for me when I’m at uni is curling up in my blanket, checking some of my favourite blogs and reading a good book, very student-like :-P A typical Friday night at home is usually snuggling up on the sofa with my boyfriend and watching a film, or going out for a meal together :-)

I just found your blog and already love it! I adore salads – but I don’t eat enough. I tend to sneak some veggies into my smoothies. I enjoy fruit and chicken in my salads!!

Normally on Friday nights we have movie/dinner date night. I do my long runs on Saturday – so I believe the popcorn fuels my AM runs!!!

I don’t even know if I already commented on this….I love Fridays b/c it’s my night alone! COMPLETELY ALONE :) it’s really nice.

You are such a cutie with that eat clean book! lol they seriously need to hire you on ;)

I am getting better at liking salads. I like cucumbers, carrots and dressing. Haha, I’m not that adventurous. I have been putting tomatoes in my salad as well and recently I put soy beans on it and that was good too.

Trackbacks