I challenge YOU!

by Christina @ The Athletarian on March 8, 2012

Tyler from WeightTraining.com contacted me not too long ago requesting some information on my choice of protein powders.  We exchanged emails over a couple of days talking about powders vs. whole foods and all kinds of fun stuff.  He offered to send me a WeightTraining.com t-shirt in return and I think it’s pretty cool ;)

Right before this morning's workout :D

Shortly after, he tweeted me a link to the “1 Month No Sweets Challenge” on the WeightTraining.com website.  I looked into it and as terrifying as it sounds, I convinced myself to sign up…

You can read all about the details here.  Basically it is a month with no sweets and if you “cheat”, you must start the 30 days over again.  If you complete the challenge, you are just in time for Easter, and I grant you permission to eat a Costco-sized bag of Mini Eggs.  I told Tyler that was my plan and he was not impressed.

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO TASTE SO GOOD?!

On a more serious note, you will most likely feel better about yourself, you will have the satisfaction of knowing you were able to complete a goal, and it will prove that sweets are not really necessary in your diet.

I already talked about March being “no junk month” for me but I signed up as a way to hold myself accountable.  Now I am challenging YOU to sign up too (it only takes about 30 seconds).  We can give each other high fives and get a little discussion going (aka talk about the first candy we’re going to rip open when the challenge is over).

Sound good?

Probably not, but I’m doing it anyway!  Let me know if you are in!

PS – it already says I “conquered” the challenge because I clicked “completed” by accident…  Don’t mind that!  I started yesterday, March 7th, and will go until April 7th (I hope)!

1 Lisa@thedail March 8, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’m in!!! But I can’t start till 3/19. I’m running a marathon on 3/18 and the carb loading must include sugar as well as the post race meal;)

2 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hahaha for sure!!! Marathons and sugar go hand in hand!

3 Sam March 8, 2012 at 7:38 am

I give up chocolate for lent every year so I’m already halfway there. I’ll give it ALL up for 30 days……….chips aren’t sweets right? EEK!

4 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:06 am

That’s the first thing that came to my mind too!!! Ooohhh I can still eat chips!! I probably won’t though. I never buy them!

5 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Sa, if you signed up, don’t forget to join my group! There is a discussion board we can all chat on :) Here is the link: http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

6 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I mean SAM. Sorry!!

7 Kim March 8, 2012 at 7:42 am

Good luck with the challenge! I’m usually pretty good about staying away from sweets–but recently it’s been all I’ve been wanting (froyo, Swedish fish, dark chocolate). I’d love to try this challenge out!

8 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

Give it a shot! Froyo is so yummy :) Maybe I’ll have it in 30 days!!

9 Kara March 8, 2012 at 7:43 am

I’m in! I get so mad at myself sometimes… I eat clean for my meals…..kill myself swimming, biking, etc…. And then eat (insert any candy here!)… so I am throwing myself into this….

10 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:07 am

Let’s do this together!!! We can talk every day about how we’re doing so that we can have someone to “report” to!

11 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Kara!!! If you signed up, don’t forget to join my group! There is a discussion board for us to chat on!

12 katrina March 8, 2012 at 7:43 am

i’m in. i think. i know. i think.

13 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

Haha that was me when I signed up!

14 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Katrina, join my group on the site too! http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

15 Meg March 8, 2012 at 7:45 am

I’m in girlfriend ;)

OMG OMG OMG SATURDAY IS COMING!!!!!!!

16 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:08 am

You never eat sweets anyway! You were blessed with the anti sweet tooth! Lucky girl. See you soooooon!!!

17 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:43 pm

WOOHOO! One more sleep! Join my group on the site if you’re in ;)

18 jayne March 8, 2012 at 7:47 am

I’m IN!!! This happens to be my weak area.

19 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

Me too!! Let’s do this!!!

20 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Hey Jayne, don’t forget to join my group on the site! There is a discussion board (aka a support group) on there for us to chat on! http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

21 Angela March 8, 2012 at 8:05 am

I love this quote from the challenge… “The 1 Month No Sweets Challenge addresses the most important aspect of fitness: Getting the refrigerator in shape.” So true!

22 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:09 am

I know! It really is bang on!

23 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner March 8, 2012 at 8:09 am

You are strong! I just can’t resist the call of the mini eggs…
;)

24 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:10 am

Oh my gosh…they are seriously so addictive!! I can eat 100 in one sitting :P

25 Novella March 8, 2012 at 9:06 am

I’m in! Sweets are my one weakness. This is good segway into a question I wanted to ask you…how do you handle ‘sweet treats’ from well-meaning friends/family? Ex. my fiancee sent me a ginourmous gift basket of chocolate in the mail yesterday (he’s deployed right now). Do you thank them and let yourself have some or try to do some explaining? It’s hard when my fiancee is the type of guy who can eat whatever he wants and still somehow maintain his six pack. Would appreciate any advice! Also, hi from a fellow Ontarian!

26 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:13 am

What a nice man!! I would thank him, of course. Does he know what your goals are? My boyfriend is the same way – he can eat whatever he wants and he has a body like a ninja turle. He will buy me treats sometimes and I eat them!! He knows what my goals are though. We talk about it all the time so he completely gets it and tried to eat like me for the most part. We do indulge sometimes though. Everything in moderation, right? I would hide the basket and let yourself have a small treat after the challenge is over. Just try not to eat it all in one sitting ;)

27 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hi Novella, don’t forget to join my group on the site! http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

28 Allison March 8, 2012 at 9:25 am

I gave up sweets for Lent (including any kind of refined grains….so the only bread allowed is Ezekiel). It has been tough. But I am puzzled by “popcorn” on his list. Air popped popcorn? How is that high in sugar?

29 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:04 am

I am assuming it means those flavoured sugary popcorns!! Just check the sugar content on any snacks you might eat! Air popped popcorn is okay :)

30 Martine March 8, 2012 at 9:54 am

Challenge Accepted!!! :)

31 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:13 am

Wooohoooo!! So excited!

32 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hi Martine! Don’t forget to join my group on the site!! There is a fun discussion board on there where we can all chat :D http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

33 sheila March 8, 2012 at 10:19 am

I just ate a hole bag of chips ahoy cookies yesterday….so this sweet challenge is a good thing! u are reading my mind. :)

34 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 10:28 am

Those are so yummy!! Get on this challenge and let’s watch our abs come out!!!

35 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

Haha, nope – doesn’t sound good at all. :) I would be so proud of myself if I did this, but I don’t think it’s going to happen. I’m don’t eat THAT many sweets, but whenever I tell myself “no,” I want them 100x more!

36 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 11:27 am

Hahaha I know what you mean! Spend the next 30 days thinking of us when you eat your yummy treats!

37 Hikermom March 8, 2012 at 11:05 am

I stopped eating sweets on March 1st for the month. I was out of control with the cookies! It hasn’t been too bad. After a little while the cravings stop.

38 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 11:28 am

So I won’t die?! That’s great to know!! Congrats on the willpower you’ve had this month!!

39 Chelsey leone March 8, 2012 at 11:30 am

Maybe this will help me break my snickers peanutbutter addiction! Does anyone else crave sweets at night? I need something to trick my brain

40 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 11:33 am

I crave sweets but trick myself with flavoured teas and such!! I’ve never tried Snickers PB but it sounds amazing :)

41 Nicole March 8, 2012 at 12:48 pm

That sounds like a great idea! I have been tossing the idea around… I have a bag of mini eggs that is half gone that I should stop eating! Thanks for the motivation, I may have to suck it up and sign up tomorrow.

42 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Have a few mini eggs, give the rest away and then join us :)

43 Jennifer March 8, 2012 at 1:12 pm

YES! I need this in my life! I’m so excited… thanks for sharing!

44 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Woohoo!! No problem! I’m excited you’re on board!

45 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Jennifer, if you ended up signing up, join my group on the site too :) http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

46 Jess @Blonde Ponytail March 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I gave up sweets for the 2 months before my wedding. I can do this right?! Right?! I currently don’t have any sweets in the house..so this would be a good time!

47 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm

You can totally do this! Get Coach and Cooper on board too! Hehe

48 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm

JESS!! Hope you’re having a good sugar-free day 2!! Don’t forget to join my group on the site :) http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

49 Rachelle March 8, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Love the orange shorts! Those are adorable and you look great and like you are getting stronger. :)

I am totally in on the no sugar challenge, in fact I have been off of sugar since January and have never felt better. I didn’t even cheat on V-Day! I might wait until after my birthday to start though. :) It really is amazing how much I don’t crave sweets at all after being off of them for so long!

50 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks, girl! You are so awesome! No sweets on Valentine’s day is ABSURD if you ask me!! I heard the cravings stop after a few weeks. Can’t wait!

51 ana March 8, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I’m in, I accept this challenge :) sweets are usually my problem,I eat well throughout the day, then at night I find myself craving sweets :/ so this will def keep me away from them!

52 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Awesome!! A way to hold each other accountable! If you ever feel like caving and grabbing a treat, message me and we can help each other out! :)

53 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Ana, join my group on the site too if you haven’t already! http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

54 Amanda March 8, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Done!!! Signed up!!!! Only because of the Costco sized bag of Mini Eggs at the end ;)
Haha, this isn’t going to be easy!!!

55 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I knew those Mini Eggs would convince some people! It definitely won’t be easy but I think it will be sooo worth it!

56 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Hi Amanda!! Join my group on the site too if you haven’t already!! There is a discussion board for us on there :) http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

57 Amanda March 12, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I have!!! I’m Mindy83!

58 Cindy Chase March 8, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I’m in! I am training for a half marathon and on Day 2 of Insanity…this will help make the results all the better!! Thanks for your posts and updates. I look forward to your ‘motivation’ everyday!!

59 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 2:07 pm

That’s awesome!!! You need some sugars when you train for a marathon though…don’t forget!! Try to stick with natural sugars though. Fruits for sure :)

60 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Hi Cindy! Hope your Friday was sugar-free!! Don’t forget to join my group on the site! There is a discussion board for us to chat/motivate/support each other on!

61 Heather March 8, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Ok, this scares me a little but I have been gradually improving my diet lately so perhaps it is what I need to make an even bigger difference. I have a batch of vegan rice krispie treats (made w/ almond butter and brown rice syrup-YUM) that I need to “dispose” of and then I can start. Question – does alcohol count as a sweet?

62 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Yeah!! You should totally do it!!! I am not sure about the alcohol. I have never been a drinker and I hate the taste of all of it so I know nothing except that it’s terrible for you! I would try to cut it out as much as possible :)

63 Tyler S. March 8, 2012 at 4:08 pm

LOVE all the positivity here and your excitement to take this challenge on, Christina! Although all the candy talk is really Not helping me too much! Haha :)

There is also a One Week Challenge for those wanting to take small steps, but I’m more of the “Go big or go home!” type! Don’t forget to Join the Group for The Athletarian! : http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

64 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I am going to share the link on my Facebook page now :)

65 Sonia the Mexigarian March 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm

this is tempting to do, since i ate goddess knows how many boxes of Girl Scout cookies, homemade cookies, and snickers this past week. though on March 17 I will be baking a Stout Cake for a party. . . and I would REALLY want to partake in the eating of it, LOL. hmmm.

66 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Haha I don’t even know what a Stout cake is but it sounds delicious!

67 Jessica Keller March 8, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I have a serious sweet tooth…but haven’t been eating much lately so I think I can handle this!! Signed up already!!

68 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 9:17 pm

AWESOME! You are going to do amazing! You should join the group that Tyler created for us! There is a discussion board for us to all chat on with eachother :) Here is the link:

69 Gabrielle March 8, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I signed up!! Ahh.
I pray to God wine isn’t considered a sweet?
I’m excited and terrified.

70 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Yay! I am so excited! Tyler just created a group for us so we can motivate and help each other! There’s a discussion board too :) Here’s the link: http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

71 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 8, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Does fro yo count as a sweet? If so… I don’t think I could do it! :P Also, those mini eggs are the best!

72 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Hahaha yes I think froyo would be on the unapproved list! I drove by a froyo place today and it was PACKED! The weather has been a bit nicer so everyone is getting their froyo on!

73 Hilary March 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I’m in definitely! I’ve been struggling with eating way too many sweets lately! I’ve already given up soda for lent, and this will just be the icing on the cake. Yay for healthy eating! :)

74 Christina @ The Athletarian March 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Awesome!! It’ll be like a huge detox for you! You will feel amazing!

75 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I forgot to tell you to join my group on the site as well! There’s a place for us to chat and support each other :) http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

76 Bine March 9, 2012 at 6:08 am

Let’s challenge ourselves! I’m so in!!! :D

77 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm

YESSS!!! I’m so happy you’re in!! Join my group on the site too! It’s another place for us to support and motivate each other! http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

78 Sarah @ Feeeding Brain and Body March 9, 2012 at 8:10 am

Good luck! Fortunately my taste buds actually don’t like super sweet things. I actually eat the completely unsweetened baking chocolate (not the semi-sweet) without adding fake sweetener and love it! Also in all oats, and smoothies I don’t add sweetener and still find them sweet enough! And thats with unsweetened protein powder too! What an awesome challenge this is though :)

79 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:50 pm

You are lucky, girl! I wish I had no sweet tooth!

80 Bigsy March 9, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I’m in.. i just finished the gummy bears..

81 Christina @ The Athletarian March 9, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Yay, Bigsy! So happy! Don’t forget to join my group too http://www.weighttraining.com/groups/the-athletarian

82 Tiffany March 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I’m a few days late on this but I’m totally in! I love eating clean BUT I have the biggest sweet tooth and it’s the hardest habit for me to kick! I can’t wait to see the world of difference that I know this change will make!

P.S. I love your blog! So inspirational! :) Thanks for keeping us motivated!

83 Clementina March 19, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I just saw this and I thought, ummm, I’m in? I gave up chocolate for lent, but I find myself justifying trying new desserts here in Spain that contain chocolate as NOT chocolate. This is cheating right? yikes! Maybe it’s a necessity that I do this challenge, I’ve got the biggest sweet tooth!!