Before we get into chicken fingers, I would love it if you voted for me (again)! I promise this will be the last contest (for a long time) that I will bother you about! All you have to do is click here and “like” the photo of my fridge as well as the XLR8 Fitness Facebook page. If I win, I get a cooler to carry all my meals in. The contest ends at 5pm today so lucky for you, there will not be five days of badgering like last time!!
Now onto the important stuff: food. When I was younger all I wanted to eat was chicken fingers and fries. There wasn’t even other options when it came to eating at a restaurant. I didn’t need a menu. Just chicken fingers and fries. I quickly gave them up (probably in high school) when I realized how bad they are for you. I stumbled across this recipe yesterday for crispy tofu strips and thought I’d make some modifications (based on what I had on hand) and give them a try!
They were quite delicious, especially paired with salt and vinegar kale chips!
Crispy Tofu Strips (adapted from Oh She Glows)
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- scant 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne powder (for a kick of heat)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Press tofu: Angela used books, I used bricks! Rinse the tofu, wrap it in a couple of dishtowels, and put something heavy on it for about 20 minutes to get all the water out.
- Mix all dry ingredients together (Angela used the spices for sweet potato fries but I mixed them all together with the oats for the tofu coating).
- Cut the tofu into strips, dip into egg whites and then into oat/spice mixture.
- Place tofu strips on a baking sheet and cook at 400F for 35 minutes (flipping once halfway through).
So easy. So delicious.
Now go vote! Then tell me what you always used to eat when you were younger!
Don’t forget, today is the last day to enter my Gymboss giveaway (winner will be announced tomorrow)!
Have a HAPPY FRIDAY! 😀