The Sock Bun

This post will have nothing to do with food or fitness but I learned something this weekend that I need to share with you.  I went my cousin’s goodbye party on Sunday (her and her husband are moving to Vancouver :( ) and met a ton of great people.  It was seriously the most fit party I’ve ever been to.  I know that sounds weird but it looked as though everyone could have been featured in a magazine of some sort.

Me with my cousin, Sheila :)

It’s always great to be in a party room full of people who enjoy the same things as you do.  I didn’t feel like a total freak talking about food and fitness with those who were there.  Sure, we had a night of (over)indulging but we all recognized it as just that.  No one felt guilty or took out MyFitnessPal to track their cupcakes or chips.  It was a nice little reminder for me; it’s okay to let go sometimes, as long as you are on track most of the time.

Us with Sheila's muscleman husband, Jude!

I met one girl, Gillian, who had the nicest bun in her hair.  It was perfect.  I don’t know about you but whenever I throw my hair up in a bun I look a bit dishevelled and there are pieces flying uncontrollably.  I asked her what her secret was and she said a sock.  There was a sock in her hair.  I think I’m the only one who has never heard of this because when I googled it, the sock bun was everywhere.  There are how-to websites and YouTube videos explaining the whole sock bun technique.

Gillian and her beautiful sock bun!

It’s really easy, comfortable, and headache-free.  I always get headaches when I put my hair in a ponytail or bun so this is going to be something that I will be rocking!  I thought my hair was going to be too short but it totally works!  I might even rock the sock bun to workout.  Gillian said she has a sock for special occasions and a sock for the when she works out too!  I love it.

Have you heard of/rocked this sock bun?

Favourite party food?

CHIPS :P

Comments

Wow that sure is a beautiful bun! I have never heard of using a sock before, I will have to look into that! Although when I was dancing I used to have to wear a bun for ballet almost everyday, so since than I’ve kinda rebelled and haven’t worn a bun since!

P.S are you sure this post isn’t about food? A BUN sounds delicious to me, especially if it’s hot out of the oven ;)

I’ve tried it a few times but I can’t seem to get used to it and I just feel like I look weird in it. It might stem from the fact that I used to wear a bun as a kid so it sort of makes me feel like a kid again…in a bad way though. LOL

I learned about the sock bun a month or two ago… But I could never get it to work in my hair. I think my hair is too short or the layers keep me from being able to keep it tight and tucked in. I was mostly interested in the sock bun for sock bun curls…but I have just been wrapping my hai around socks and that works (but isn’t as comfy to sleep in)

wow! never heard of it either- that is a perfect bun! i partied this weekend too and enjoyed every moment of it. its okay to let go once in a while and get back on track the next day- in the end its about the memories :)

Nicole K says

I had to do the sock bun everyday during Basic Training. I cant force myself to do it anymore even though they do look nice. It can work for shorter hair too…if you have long hair than use a thicker longer sock and if you have short hair just use a smaller sock like a dress sock :) just found your blog a week ago and have been glued to your posts! Thanks for all you do

This is quite possibly the coolest thing I’ve seen in a really long time. I have curly hair so sometimes I love the crazy, wild bun. But on some occasions it’s just not appropriate and I want to tame the beast while keeping my hair out of my face. THANKS, GILLIAN! ;)

PS: Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday! EE!

OH. MY. GOSH!

I was completely confused when you said SOCK bun, so of course I clicked on your link — that is ridiculously AWESOME! My hair is never not up and it’s no stranger to the sloppy bun/knot and I often get headaches from it, too!!

I hope it’s super easy — I want to try it today!!

HA! I’ve NEVER heard of the sock bun but I’m going to have to try that one out! It’s super cute and classy! :)

I went to a similar party this weekend. It was a birthday party for my trainer friend and everyone there was a trainer or worked at the gyms. Talk about smoking hot!

Alejandra says

Sock bun is the best thing ever ever EVER!
    I’ve become such a pro- gimme 5 minutes and I look like I walked off the Mad Men set.
    Side note- the waves/curls the next day when you roll out your hair are amazing.

Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance says

never heard of the sock bun! sounds intriguing so i will have to google later :) also. are all canadian men just super hot!?! or just the ones you know…because i think i may be convinced to move to Canada ;)

Sounds like a fun party with great company. I have not heard of the sock bun either so you are definitely not the only one. ;) It looks awesome so I’ll have to check out the You Tube video.

I love being around fit people and hearing all of there secrets. Love it!! Goodluck to your cousin in Vancouver!

I’ve never heard of using a sock in a bun! I love it! This is definitely a hairdo I am going to attempt to rock! Thanks for the tip lady!

Hmm, favourite party food? That’s a hard one. It depends on the occasion! But I can never resist pastries!

Stefania says

That’s brilliant! I’m going to try that on my daughter right now who has ballet in an hour. Thanks for sharing. Love your blog.

Cracking up about the sock! Never heard of that! And you are so right–keep it on track the majority of the time, and you are good to go with a little indulgence now and again.

I have *never* heard of the sock bun but was trying to work out how to get the perfect bun the other day (and completely failed!) Will totally give this a go tonight. Love your blog btw – have been following it since you won the bodyrock comp and love it!