The Sock Bun

by Christina @ The Athletarian on February 21, 2012

This post will have nothing to do with food or fitness but I learned something this weekend that I need to share with you.  I went my cousin’s goodbye party on Sunday (her and her husband are moving to Vancouver :( ) and met a ton of great people.  It was seriously the most fit party I’ve ever been to.  I know that sounds weird but it looked as though everyone could have been featured in a magazine of some sort.

Me with my cousin, Sheila :)

It’s always great to be in a party room full of people who enjoy the same things as you do.  I didn’t feel like a total freak talking about food and fitness with those who were there.  Sure, we had a night of (over)indulging but we all recognized it as just that.  No one felt guilty or took out MyFitnessPal to track their cupcakes or chips.  It was a nice little reminder for me; it’s okay to let go sometimes, as long as you are on track most of the time.

Us with Sheila's muscleman husband, Jude!

I met one girl, Gillian, who had the nicest bun in her hair.  It was perfect.  I don’t know about you but whenever I throw my hair up in a bun I look a bit dishevelled and there are pieces flying uncontrollably.  I asked her what her secret was and she said a sock.  There was a sock in her hair.  I think I’m the only one who has never heard of this because when I googled it, the sock bun was everywhere.  There are how-to websites and YouTube videos explaining the whole sock bun technique.

Gillian and her beautiful sock bun!

It’s really easy, comfortable, and headache-free.  I always get headaches when I put my hair in a ponytail or bun so this is going to be something that I will be rocking!  I thought my hair was going to be too short but it totally works!  I might even rock the sock bun to workout.  Gillian said she has a sock for special occasions and a sock for the when she works out too!  I love it.

Have you heard of/rocked this sock bun?

Favourite party food?

CHIPS :P

1 Hayley @ Oat Couture February 21, 2012 at 7:50 am

How strange I heard about for the first time literally a couple of days ago, on a blog! Never heard of it before either but will def be trying it out! Your hair looks fab btw! :)

2 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:28 pm

Thanks so much, Hayley!!! You are too nice :)

3 Alexandra February 21, 2012 at 7:52 am

Wow that bun is perfect, mine always end up just being oober messy haha This has inspired me to get more creative with my hair for sure!

4 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:28 pm

DO IT!!! You are the queen of up do’s!!

5 Sarah @ feeedingbrainandbody February 21, 2012 at 7:58 am

Wow that sure is a beautiful bun! I have never heard of using a sock before, I will have to look into that! Although when I was dancing I used to have to wear a bun for ballet almost everyday, so since than I’ve kinda rebelled and haven’t worn a bun since!

P.S are you sure this post isn’t about food? A BUN sounds delicious to me, especially if it’s hot out of the oven ;)

6 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Mmm warm bread is my favourite!!

7 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner February 21, 2012 at 8:15 am

I heard of that sock bun idea just a few days ago but never thought to try it. I should! My hair is usually up in a bun so at least it will be a little cuter now!

8 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Try it out! You look amazing with your hair up. This would look great on you!

9 Ali Mc February 21, 2012 at 8:36 am

wow that’s so cool and I feel like I’ve meet Jude before…..seriously ;)

10 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Maybe you know him!!!

11 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean February 21, 2012 at 8:38 am

Ahahaha never heard of the sock bun! On my way to check out the youtube videos… ;-D

Btw, love the pictures above – looks like you had a BLAST!

12 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Thanks, girl!!!! Tons of fun!

13 christa February 21, 2012 at 8:39 am

I kind of like my messy buns. I’ll try it when my hair gets long enough again.

14 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm

I’m a fan of messy buns too!! This is a nice change though :)

15 Sarah J February 21, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’ve tried it a few times but I can’t seem to get used to it and I just feel like I look weird in it. It might stem from the fact that I used to wear a bun as a kid so it sort of makes me feel like a kid again…in a bad way though. LOL

16 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Haha it’s always GREAT to feel like a kid :D I’m sure it looks great on you!

17 Kim February 21, 2012 at 8:55 am

I learned about the sock bun a month or two ago… But I could never get it to work in my hair. I think my hair is too short or the layers keep me from being able to keep it tight and tucked in. I was mostly interested in the sock bun for sock bun curls…but I have just been wrapping my hai around socks and that works (but isn’t as comfy to sleep in)

18 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Oooh I want to try that!! I wonder if I could youtube your technique?! I will check it out ;)

19 Kim February 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Yep! You can definitely you tube it. I believe it’s called the sock curl. All you do is wrap sections of hair around a sock and then tie both ends of the sock into a knot. It works best with longer thinner socks or it’s harder to tie into a knot.

20 Nicole February 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

I love sock buns, I have put them in the girls hair for dance and they stay quite well.

21 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yay!! I love that you are familiar with it! It does stay on a lot tighter than I thought it would! Simply amazing :)

22 Boston Bound Brunette February 21, 2012 at 9:47 am

I am going to have to try the sock bun! My hair is so long and always gets loose no matter how I put it up! I guess this is the new thing!

23 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Try it out!! You have the BEST hair for it!!! It always looks amazing!

24 Jenn @ Run It My Way February 21, 2012 at 9:54 am

Wow the sock bun is so cute! I’ve never heard of it before – but I know what I’ll be you tubing tonight ;) Does it work with short(ish) hair too??

25 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Yes! It works with mine and my hair is pretty short now! Just use a smaller thin sock!

26 Felicia February 21, 2012 at 9:59 am

wow! never heard of it either- that is a perfect bun! i partied this weekend too and enjoyed every moment of it. its okay to let go once in a while and get back on track the next day- in the end its about the memories :)

27 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm

EXACTLY!! Good to know that a hottie with a 6-pack like you lets go once in a while too ;)

28 Nicole K February 21, 2012 at 10:25 am

I had to do the sock bun everyday during Basic Training. I cant force myself to do it anymore even though they do look nice. It can work for shorter hair too…if you have long hair than use a thicker longer sock and if you have short hair just use a smaller sock like a dress sock :) just found your blog a week ago and have been glued to your posts! Thanks for all you do

29 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Wow! Thanks so much, Nicole! Welcome and thank you for reading :)

30 Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} February 21, 2012 at 10:27 am

So cute! I never heard of a sock bun but I should try it since I never really do anything different with my hair other than the boring pony tail! have a great day!

31 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Hope you had a great day too!! Let me know if you try the bun! It gets easier with practice!

32 steph@ lungesandlunch February 21, 2012 at 10:41 am

This is quite possibly the coolest thing I’ve seen in a really long time. I have curly hair so sometimes I love the crazy, wild bun. But on some occasions it’s just not appropriate and I want to tame the beast while keeping my hair out of my face. THANKS, GILLIAN! ;)

PS: Looking forward to meeting you on Saturday! EE!

33 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Meeee toooo!!!!

34 mallory February 21, 2012 at 10:54 am

I’d never heard of the sock bun. It’s really pretty though!!!

My favorite party food is definitely chips as well. Yum!!!

35 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm

CHIPS ARE THE BEST!!! I ate lots of Lays BBQ at the party :D They are my favourite!

36 Jenny @ The Little JBird February 21, 2012 at 10:55 am

Sounds like a great time! I first saw the sock bun a few weeks ago. It’s such a cool idea. I haven’t tried it yet but since my hair is nearly always piled on top of my head, maybe I should! :)

37 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Haha mine is always piled nice and high too!! At least with the sock bun I can go to work on not get asked if I just rolled out of bed!!

38 Jenn's Adventures February 21, 2012 at 11:34 am

OH. MY. GOSH!

I was completely confused when you said SOCK bun, so of course I clicked on your link — that is ridiculously AWESOME! My hair is never not up and it’s no stranger to the sloppy bun/knot and I often get headaches from it, too!!

I hope it’s super easy — I want to try it today!!

39 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm

TRY IT!!!!!! Let me know how it turns out!! It would look so beautiful on you!

40 Jenn's Adventures February 23, 2012 at 3:43 am

It’s so noooooot as easy as I thought it was going to be!!! Or maybe I’m “special” OR OR OR maybe my hair’s too long ? Either way = fail!! haha!!

41 Maria @ Pappa Don't Preach February 21, 2012 at 11:46 am

HA! I’ve NEVER heard of the sock bun but I’m going to have to try that one out! It’s super cute and classy! :)

I went to a similar party this weekend. It was a birthday party for my trainer friend and everyone there was a trainer or worked at the gyms. Talk about smoking hot!

42 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Wooo! We both went to hottie parties!!! Isn’t the sock bun fun?!?! Let me know if you try it! Thanks for commenting, by the way! I love finding new bloggers :) Checking out your blog as soon as I get home!

43 Hikermom February 21, 2012 at 11:51 am

I have never heard of the sock bun. Cool. I’m always looking for new ways to wear my super long hair.

44 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm

Let me know if you try it! It would look great on you;)

45 Brittany @Little b's healthy habits February 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’ve tried a few times now and I just can’t get it to work. I have super long and super thick hair and ugh. I’m frustrated with it! haha. I think I need to have someone else do it for me because half the problem is my arms aren’t long enough :(

46 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:19 pm

You are LUCKY to have super long and thick hair!!! But yeah, see if someone can help you. I imagine it would be really difficult with really long hair!

47 Alejandra February 21, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Sock bun is the best thing ever ever EVER!
I’ve become such a pro- gimme 5 minutes and I look like I walked off the Mad Men set.
Side note- the waves/curls the next day when you roll out your hair are amazing.

48 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I love that you read my blog :D You have always had the best hair!! You don’t even need a sock bun for amazing waves!

49 Alejandra February 21, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Of course I read it, how else am I supposed to get motivated to visit my trainer? ;)
And stop it. Try the bun waves. I mean it! You know fitness- I know hair.

50 Sonia the Mexigarian February 21, 2012 at 1:16 pm

One of the fashion girls I follow (an old friend) has been rocking the sock bun the past few weeks. I haven’t tried it yet but it does look quite nice to sport. :)

51 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:18 pm

It’s pretty fancy! I am loving it! I’m rocking it right now ;)

52 Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance February 21, 2012 at 1:24 pm

never heard of the sock bun! sounds intriguing so i will have to google later :) also. are all canadian men just super hot!?! or just the ones you know…because i think i may be convinced to move to Canada ;)

53 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

HAHAHAHA please come and move here!! I will find you a hot Canadian man!!

54 Rachelle February 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Sounds like a fun party with great company. I have not heard of the sock bun either so you are definitely not the only one. ;) It looks awesome so I’ll have to check out the You Tube video.

I love being around fit people and hearing all of there secrets. Love it!! Goodluck to your cousin in Vancouver!

55 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Aww thanks Rachelle! She reads my blog so I’m sure she will be very thankful for your comment (as am I!).

56 Siobhan @ SiobhanMcCarthy.ca February 21, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I’ve never heard of using a sock in a bun! I love it! This is definitely a hairdo I am going to attempt to rock! Thanks for the tip lady!

Hmm, favourite party food? That’s a hard one. It depends on the occasion! But I can never resist pastries!

57 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Mmmm I love pastries too!! Cannoli are my favourite :)

58 Stefania February 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That’s brilliant! I’m going to try that on my daughter right now who has ballet in an hour. Thanks for sharing. Love your blog.

59 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Thank you so much!! I love when new people comment!! Hope the bun worked out…it takes a little bit of practice, but definitely much easier to do on other people!

60 Stefania February 21, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I tried it. She has some hair that’s too short and won’t stay in the bun but overall it was a better job than what I usually do. I’ll keep at it.

61 misszippy February 21, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Cracking up about the sock! Never heard of that! And you are so right–keep it on track the majority of the time, and you are good to go with a little indulgence now and again.

62 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I cracked up when she told me too!! Who would have thought – a sock?!?! haha!

63 Corinne February 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I have *never* heard of the sock bun but was trying to work out how to get the perfect bun the other day (and completely failed!) Will totally give this a go tonight. Love your blog btw – have been following it since you won the bodyrock comp and love it!

64 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Aw thank you so much!! Let me know if the bun is successful! I had to give it a few shots before I got it right ;)

65 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 21, 2012 at 8:51 pm

why have I never heard of the sock bun before?!?!?! GENIUS.

66 Christina @ The Athletarian February 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I know, right?! You hae a great length to work with too :)

67 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

That’s awesome. Thanks for sharing!

68 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 22, 2012 at 11:22 am

I’ve heard of it but never tried. You’ve inspired me though, I might finally attempt it, although my hair is pretty short. Hers is seriously perfect!