22 pounds of rice.

I haven’t blogged in a few days…and I miss it.  Lucky for you, I have some really exciting news about the series of events that went on over the weekend.  I bought rice.  22 pounds of rice.

NO, I DID NOT EAT IT.

I bought it to fill my lovely new PINK SANDBAG!!!!!!!!

Ever since I became obsessed with Bodyrock, I became equally obsessed and fascinated with the products they use.  I still did the workouts before but always had to resort to the modifications that Lisa-Marie offers for those who don’t have the equipment.  Luckily, I have been recently been blessed with some fantastic opportunities.  I met Marc Lebert a couple of weeks ago who gave me a set of equalizers.  You can read all about it here.  I also just received my new sandbag from Brooke over at Ultimate Sandbag Training.  It was love at first sight.  Okay, maybe not.  This piece of equipment needed a little bit of work before the love flourished!

The sandbag comes with two filler bags which you are supposed to fill up with sand.  I have no idea where to get sand in Toronto in the middle of winter so I copied a little trick from Electra and used the next best thing: rice!  It’s cheap and it does the trick!  I bought 22 pounds worth and divided it up into Ziploc bags (so the weight can easily be changed).  I was actually only able to fit about 20 pounds into the bag which worked out just fine.

As soon as it was filled and ready to go, I busted out this workout.  You wouldn’t think 20 pounds is a lot…I lift much heavier at the gym but I feel like sandbag training is a whole different beast!  The workout consisted of weighted squats, shoulder presses and rows – all using the sandbag.  I absolutely loved it.  The sandbag has handles going both horizontally and vertically so it is comfortable for all exercises.  It also feels much better resting on my back than a metal bar.  It is a lot lighter, yes, but a lot more comfortable at the same time.

Do you like my foamy pink basement walls?  Thought so :)

I cannot wait to incorporate even more sandbag training into my workouts.  There are a whole bunch of different exercises that you can do with the sandbag on their website so I know I will be utilizing that as well as Bodyrock to get my sandbag training on!!

Have you ever done any sandbag training?

If you could have one piece of equipment to train with at home, what would it be?

Comments

Dang that workout looks killer, I’ve never used a sandbag before! I cracked up when you talked about finding sand in Canada in the middle of winter haha ;) Great idea to fill it with rice!

The only work I’ve done with sand involved a shovel and bucket ;) or a beach towel and me in a bathing suit…..this looks KILLER. I’d never be able to lift that over my head.

• 3

Note from fifth grade teacher whose sdunetts are participating in the Kiwanis essay contest: We have really enjoyed working on this project. It has sparked quite a bit of thinking about the sdunetts own acts of kindness and they want to begin a “Kindness Club” here at school. I’m very proud of their ambition. Our class is writing essays on kindness as part of the Kiwanis essay contest. We have really enjoyed working on this project. It has sparked quite a bit of thinking about the sdunetts own acts of kindness and they want to begin a “Kindness Club” here at school. I’m very proud of their ambition.

Good for you! Sandbag workouts are pretty sweet. Ironically, I’ve done them at the beach… nothing like running through sand, carrying sand! I would love to be able to accommodate an Olympic squat rack at home… the possibilities would be endless!

• 9

I am a pedestrian painssg by to salute to the brave lady who dares to expose herself as one of the singers in the Fokguy series.Some day, if you could sing this in a concert together with the other contributers, I will believe that there is hope to the poor citizens.生果金 becomes one of significant social welfare marks the degeneration of the society. 生果金 should be a respect but not charity from the society to the olds. Receiving this respect or not should be a personal decision of your grand, which, should also be respected but not be discrimated.

love that you have the space to build your own at home gym! i would love to get into some of this stuff in my home, but since my apartment is the size of a closet we would have to get rid of the furniture in order to fit exercise equipment.

are you and dean doing at home workouts together?

I’ve never used a sandbag but would love to try. I love finding new fitness equipment and I’ll try anything I have access to! If I could have one piece of equipment it would be…ahh I can’t decide between a weight rack or a spin bike!

Wow the sandbag training sounds intense! You are so hardcore and I freaking love it. If I had to chose any peice of equipment it would have to be a treadmill. :)

Keep up the great work girl you are a total inspiration to me.

Love the rice fill-in! I’ve not tried bodyrock yet, but really want to… I can see myself getting obsessed with it, too…. sounds like an awesome workout!

I was actually just looking at the new products on BodyRock last night! They’re so awesome. I need to move into a house where I can make a small gym area :)

sissy says

I have the sandbag and I love it- but the play sand leaks-even with replacement filler bags (which bruise my arms at the edges of the velcro folds) so Brooke actually suggested rice but I am thinking of using sandbells to put inside instead. Any thoughts?

amy says

Hello,

When you bought the sandbag how much was customs tax charges if you had to pay any at all?

Im looking into buying a sandbag but since it has to cross the border Im working about custom charges.

Amy

k says

i dunno how i thought of it but i bought a few bags of sand from the pet store since they sell it for fish tanks and reptile cages. otherwise i would have had to buy a 50 pound bag from lowes or home depot and have it sit around

Doug Ransom says

You should not put the sandbag on your neck like a barbellfor squatting. Henkin has a video about why this is unhealthy.

Trackbacks

1. [...] A BAG, the sand’s not even included. I have my limits and that’s one of them.After reading Christina’s post about how she filled hers, I was determined to make my own.Step 1: Drive to my local Asian [...]