22 pounds of rice.

by Christina @ The Athletarian on February 13, 2012

I haven’t blogged in a few days…and I miss it.  Lucky for you, I have some really exciting news about the series of events that went on over the weekend.  I bought rice.  22 pounds of rice.

NO, I DID NOT EAT IT.

I bought it to fill my lovely new PINK SANDBAG!!!!!!!!

Ever since I became obsessed with Bodyrock, I became equally obsessed and fascinated with the products they use.  I still did the workouts before but always had to resort to the modifications that Lisa-Marie offers for those who don’t have the equipment.  Luckily, I have been recently been blessed with some fantastic opportunities.  I met Marc Lebert a couple of weeks ago who gave me a set of equalizers.  You can read all about it here.  I also just received my new sandbag from Brooke over at Ultimate Sandbag Training.  It was love at first sight.  Okay, maybe not.  This piece of equipment needed a little bit of work before the love flourished!

The sandbag comes with two filler bags which you are supposed to fill up with sand.  I have no idea where to get sand in Toronto in the middle of winter so I copied a little trick from Electra and used the next best thing: rice!  It’s cheap and it does the trick!  I bought 22 pounds worth and divided it up into Ziploc bags (so the weight can easily be changed).  I was actually only able to fit about 20 pounds into the bag which worked out just fine.

As soon as it was filled and ready to go, I busted out this workout.  You wouldn’t think 20 pounds is a lot…I lift much heavier at the gym but I feel like sandbag training is a whole different beast!  The workout consisted of weighted squats, shoulder presses and rows – all using the sandbag.  I absolutely loved it.  The sandbag has handles going both horizontally and vertically so it is comfortable for all exercises.  It also feels much better resting on my back than a metal bar.  It is a lot lighter, yes, but a lot more comfortable at the same time.

Do you like my foamy pink basement walls?  Thought so :)

I cannot wait to incorporate even more sandbag training into my workouts.  There are a whole bunch of different exercises that you can do with the sandbag on their website so I know I will be utilizing that as well as Bodyrock to get my sandbag training on!!

Have you ever done any sandbag training?

If you could have one piece of equipment to train with at home, what would it be?

1 Alexandra February 13, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Dang that workout looks killer, I’ve never used a sandbag before! I cracked up when you talked about finding sand in Canada in the middle of winter haha ;) Great idea to fill it with rice!

2 Ali Mc February 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm

The only work I’ve done with sand involved a shovel and bucket ;) or a beach towel and me in a bathing suit…..this looks KILLER. I’d never be able to lift that over my head.

3 Roessofiaty January 22, 2014 at 6:11 am

Note from fifth grade teacher whose sdunetts are participating in the Kiwanis essay contest: We have really enjoyed working on this project. It has sparked quite a bit of thinking about the sdunetts own acts of kindness and they want to begin a “Kindness Club” here at school. I’m very proud of their ambition. Our class is writing essays on kindness as part of the Kiwanis essay contest. We have really enjoyed working on this project. It has sparked quite a bit of thinking about the sdunetts own acts of kindness and they want to begin a “Kindness Club” here at school. I’m very proud of their ambition.

4 Hikermom February 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm

That’s awesome! I love the pink bag. What a great workout:)

5 Brooke @ sweats & sweets February 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That is genius! And that looks kinda fun!

6 Julia @ No Frills Fitness February 13, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Good for you! Sandbag workouts are pretty sweet. Ironically, I’ve done them at the beach… nothing like running through sand, carrying sand! I would love to be able to accommodate an Olympic squat rack at home… the possibilities would be endless!

7 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner February 13, 2012 at 1:41 pm

So cool! Rice is a great idea to replace sand. I need to hop onto this bandwagon!

8 misszippy February 13, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’ve been looking at that sandbag training and I think it looks really cool! Great use for the rice!

9 Atakan January 22, 2014 at 6:14 am

I am a pedestrian painssg by to salute to the brave lady who dares to expose herself as one of the singers in the Fokguy series.Some day, if you could sing this in a concert together with the other contributers, I will believe that there is hope to the poor citizens.生果金 becomes one of significant social welfare marks the degeneration of the society. 生果金 should be a respect but not charity from the society to the olds. Receiving this respect or not should be a personal decision of your grand, which, should also be respected but not be discrimated.

10 Laura February 13, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Very neat…I so never would have thought of using rice…or putting it in Ziplocs first…never said I was that bright. :)

11 Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl February 13, 2012 at 2:53 pm

love that you have the space to build your own at home gym! i would love to get into some of this stuff in my home, but since my apartment is the size of a closet we would have to get rid of the furniture in order to fit exercise equipment.

are you and dean doing at home workouts together?

12 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 13, 2012 at 3:31 pm

I’ve never used a sandbag but would love to try. I love finding new fitness equipment and I’ll try anything I have access to! If I could have one piece of equipment it would be…ahh I can’t decide between a weight rack or a spin bike!

13 Rachelle February 13, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Wow the sandbag training sounds intense! You are so hardcore and I freaking love it. If I had to chose any peice of equipment it would have to be a treadmill. :)

Keep up the great work girl you are a total inspiration to me.

14 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen February 13, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Oh I love the pink sand bag…that alone makes me want to try it :) Looks like a great workout!

15 Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 13, 2012 at 8:48 pm

Yeeshe what a workout woman! You are so inspiring to me with your workouts.. you are looking fab :)

16 corey @ learning patience February 13, 2012 at 8:54 pm

wow – looks awesome! i got my straws today – i LOVE them! so fun!

xoxo from Trinidad

17 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm

If I were to get a sandbag I’d totally want a pink one too! Love how it adds to a workout in a different way than other equipment.

18 Christina @ Food.Fitness.Fun. February 14, 2012 at 1:12 am

I have sandbag envy! LOL I’ve been loving the bodyrock workouts but I’m doing them with the modifications. I imagine you could find sand at Home Depot but your way is much more creative.

19 Meg February 14, 2012 at 1:48 am

I have been wanting to order their equip for everrrrrrrrrrr I think it would be great to use in a pinch!! Good for you girl :)

20 Destini February 14, 2012 at 4:35 am

Oh this sounds awesome. I want one!!!

21 Xander February 14, 2012 at 4:37 am

i did that workout but used Lia and Dalen as my Bag… you should come over and borrow them…

22 Christy@My Dirt Road Anthem February 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Not sure I could be any more jealous that you got that equipment.
When you get bored of that stuff send it to me :)
You are so freaking lucky and looking good!

23 MilesMusclesMom February 14, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I made my own sand bag and got the sand from Home Depot ;) about $3/25lbs

24 Christina @ The Athletarian February 14, 2012 at 4:11 pm

What?!?! I didn’t even know they sold it there!!! I am going to get some asap. I can’t believe I paid more for rice!!! What the heck?! Thanks for letting me know :)

25 Laura February 14, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Love the rice fill-in! I’ve not tried bodyrock yet, but really want to… I can see myself getting obsessed with it, too…. sounds like an awesome workout!

26 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 14, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I guess if it gets too heavy you have something to make for dinner ;)

27 Christina February 16, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I was actually just looking at the new products on BodyRock last night! They’re so awesome. I need to move into a house where I can make a small gym area :)

28 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean February 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I TOTALLY thought the same thing with the sandbag – I was like ehhh 20 lbs is going to be NOTHING. Was. I. Wrong. AHAH. So glad you’re loving it! I am too!!! :-D

29 sissy August 16, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I have the sandbag and I love it- but the play sand leaks-even with replacement filler bags (which bruise my arms at the edges of the velcro folds) so Brooke actually suggested rice but I am thinking of using sandbells to put inside instead. Any thoughts?

30 amy January 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Maybe use gravel. Larger stones would eliminate all the leaking and messiness of sand.

31 amy January 4, 2013 at 12:40 pm

Hello,

When you bought the sandbag how much was customs tax charges if you had to pay any at all?

Im looking into buying a sandbag but since it has to cross the border Im working about custom charges.

Amy

32 Emma February 28, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Awesome idea on the rice! I too LOVE Bodyrock!!!! Finally a workout that changes it up and is free!!! <3

33 k November 17, 2013 at 12:44 am

i dunno how i thought of it but i bought a few bags of sand from the pet store since they sell it for fish tanks and reptile cages. otherwise i would have had to buy a 50 pound bag from lowes or home depot and have it sit around

34 Doug Ransom January 26, 2014 at 8:19 pm

You should not put the sandbag on your neck like a barbellfor squatting. Henkin has a video about why this is unhealthy.