me vs. vegetables

by Christina @ The Athletarian on January 27, 2012

So we’ve been through this before.  I have had a battle with vegetables.  There are so many out there that gross me out and I need to get creative in order to eat them.  I came across this great blog recently and have become hooked!  Monika has so many clean recipes (which she calls “tummy treats” – so cute).  A few days ago she posted a recipe for mashed “potatoes” which was actually mashed CAULIFLOWER!  You make it the exact same way you would make mashed potatoes and they are creamy, delicious, and down right comforting!!

See?  They even look like mashed potatoes!!  Yes, I am okay with asparagus in small quantities.

I will probably be eating this every day until I discover my new favourite way to hide a vegetable.

Here is her recipe:

Ingredients:

• one head of cauliflower
  • two cups almond milk
  • pepper and granulated garlic (or spices of your choice)

Directions:

1. Cut cauliflower into quarters and break into florets
  2. Place cauliflower and almond milk in a pot and bring to simmer (watch this closely – both of us had it boil over!)
  3. Cook until soft and then drain cauliflower (save the milk stock)
  4. Puree in blender or mash with a masher (add any extra milk stock if needed – I didn’t)
  5. Add spices of your choice

Make this.  Now.

Do you like cauliflower?  How about mashed potatoes??

I think cauliflower is weird, especially when people eat it raw!!  Mashed potatoes are probably one of the greatest things in life (after the new man in my life, obviously).

1 Ali Mc January 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I actually hate cauliflower. it’s one of the only veggies I won’t eat – so maybe I will have to try this!!!

2 Laura January 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Ah! Great idea. I am going to give this a try for sure.
I love veggies, except broccoli. gross…

3 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I’m exactly like you and need to get my veggies down in unconventional ways but cauliflower is not one I’ve been able to tackle. Maybe if I mixed some white beans in there..

4 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 27, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I made a cauliflower n’ mashed potato mix at Thanksgiving this year. No one noticed a difference!

5 stephanie January 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

yum! ive heard of that before but havent ever tried it!

6 Alexandra January 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I’ve ALWAYS wanted to try mashed cauliflower! This weekend I gotta make this :)

7 Jenn January 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I made these a few weeks ago and even my “meat & potatoes” fiance ate them! Hardest thing was making sure they were really really dry before I mashed them. Too much water and they get…..gooey

8 Felicia January 27, 2012 at 3:57 pm

i love roasting cauliflower, and i’ve made “rice” from it before. but i’m a veg fanatic – especially when roasted with olive oil and salt!

9 Lindsey January 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I have been wanting to make these mock mashed potatoes for awhile! I am not a huge cauliflower fan and only eat mashed potatoes once or twice a year but still think I would love this recipe!

10 Hikermom January 27, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Not a fan of cauliflower, but I bet a mix of half cauli and half potato would be good and healthy!

11 Amylee January 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I have recently discovered a love for cauliflower ! Try it roasted with onion, a little garlic, lemon juice and salt and pepper. Amazing!!!

12 Heather@Just a Colorado Gal January 27, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I love cauliflower and I keep seeing all these fun recipes for stuff I can make with it! I’m gonna try this recipe this weekend (Pinning it now so I don’t forget!)

13 Michael January 27, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for sharing the recipe and blog. I’ve been totally changing my eating and moving to clean eating/gluten free so this will be a great resource for some new recipe ideas!!

14 Tink January 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I’m one of those weirdos who LOVES vegetables, cauliflower being a fav. One of my favorite things to do is cut up cauliflower and bake it with diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregeno and a little bit of olive oil. Its wonderful!

15 Jenn's Adventures January 27, 2012 at 5:28 pm

OMG! Monika & I just crossed paths — LOVE HER! That recipe is awesome, too, instant fave! Great staple to have when craving carbs or substance ;)

16 Kate @ Run with Kate January 27, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I HATE cauliflower too, and I’m vegan, so I should love every vegetable, right? I’m going to have to check out Monika’s blog. Sounds awesome!

17 rachelle January 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I have seen this before and have wanted to try it. I really need to because I love mashed potatoes. Have you seen the pizza crust they make with cauliflower? It looks awesome!

I freaking love cauliflower and all veggies really. The only veggie I don’t love is mushrooms….is it even a veggie? ha ha

18 Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance January 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm

ahhhhhh!!! mashed potatoes are my all time fave! i must try this…it would have totally tricked me based on the pic ;)

19 Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance January 27, 2012 at 7:17 pm

ahhh! i am obsessed with mashed potatoes! i should def try this because the pic could have totally fooled me…would have never known it was a veggie!

20 Lindsay @ biking before bed January 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I love massif cauliflower even though my boyfriend thinks it’s for old people who have no teeth:)

21 Holly January 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I love all veggies, okay not brussel spouts. But anything else, I am on it! So much in fact, I have contemplated the raw diet but just figure that would be too hard (read a lot about it and talked to people I know who have tried it) I don’t like cauliflower cooked though. Much rather just eat them raw with ranch!

22 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 27, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’ve seen this around but haven’t made it yet! Looks good:D

23 Danielle January 27, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I like cauliflower, more so than mashed potatoes I think – so this is the perfect way to get the best of both worlds!! Thanks for posting :)

24 Christie January 27, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I love me some mashed potatoes…but cauliflower, doesn’t sound to good.

25 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen January 27, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Eeew, cauliflower kind of grosses me out and, initially, I just skimmed past thinking I wouldn’t make this, but then I wondered. Your endorsement was really convincing and I might have to try it! I would never be able to tell Brian until after he tasted it though :) Like the new picture!

26 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 28, 2012 at 12:29 am

I love cauliflower when it has plenty of cheese :)

27 Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl January 28, 2012 at 1:11 am

love mashed taters, hate cauliflower…uuck and ew. i think it is the smell that puts me off. but love me some green soldiered spears.

28 Meg January 28, 2012 at 2:17 am

haha omg I love raw cauli :) mmmmmmmmm me and all veggies get along <3

29 Lori: Extreme Results January 28, 2012 at 4:54 am

I heard of this, but never knew how to make them. Thanks for sharing!!

30 Cait the Arty Runnerchick January 28, 2012 at 5:47 am

how did i not know that u hated lots of veggies…more to the point, how is that possible being that u’re mostly a veg-head?!?! haha..glad u got turned onto the cauliflower trick…it can be quite tasty! :)

31 Britt @RunWithBritt January 29, 2012 at 3:35 am

Have you ever tried cauliflower pizza? It’s kind of the same concept but you add some cheese, egg, and spices to the mashed cauliflower and you make a pizza crust. You bake it for a bit and then top it with whatever you want. For being a veggie crust it’s not to shabby!

32 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco January 29, 2012 at 3:55 am

Oh my gosh, I love mashed cauliflower. I HAVE to give this a try and let you know!

33 Shannon from Healthiful Balance January 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Honestly, I’ve tried cauliflower once when I was a little girl and did not like it at all… I was a very picky eater when it came to veggies! Buuuut, since one of my new years resolutions is to try new foods I think I’m going to give cauliflower another go! Maybe I’ll like it this time? :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Have a great weekend!

34 Amy January 29, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The only way I eat cauliflower is chopped up on my salads along with broccoli.

35 Jessica @ rerunrunning January 29, 2012 at 11:25 pm

So do they taste like mashed potatoes? Wow. I actually really like veggies… I mean I like candy more, but I’m a pretty big fan of raw or cooked cauliflower… I eat it totally plain and love it! I think I like it more than mashed potatoes.

Cecily used to choose mashed potatoes as her birthday dinner when we were kids… Not like as a side dish, but as her main course… I wasn’t a fan. But then I made everyone suffer through Kraft mac and cheese once a year, so I guess it was only fair. :)

36 Corey @ Learning Patience January 30, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Im a huge mashed cauliflower eater! They are a great way to get more veggies in…my husband loves them too! I’m so proud of you girl…you really are trying! Nice work!
xoxo from Trinidad

37 Yolie @ Practising Wellness January 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Dude, this is absolutely perfect, because I have a head of cauliflower in the fridge, and I am TOTALLY making this! :-) Thank you for sharing – very serendipitous timing, lol! ;-) xyx

38 Christina @ The Athletarian February 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I love that you just called me “dude” hahahah! Let me know how it comes out!!!!!!!

39 Yolie @ Practising Wellness February 2, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hehehe…yeah, I’m totally guilty of adopting surfer speak in my daily life…even though I live in England and have never surfed, lol! :) <3 xyx