I lied.

by Christina @ The Athletarian on January 20, 2012

Remember how I vowed to do no exercise this week?  Well I was doing really great but I caved and went spinning yesterday.  I was invited by the amazing people over ar Ride for Heart and the Heart and Stroke Foundation to participate in a spin class and meet other riders that will be joining in on the day of the big ride.

It all went down at CYKL, an amazing spin studio located in the heart of downtown Toronto.

I got to meet Cynthia for the first time and we both showed up in our Chickbands!  She is so sweet and I can’t wait to keep up with her training and fundraising efforts.

The coolest thing about CYKL (aside from the amazing people who work there) is that they are the only studio in the city that has RealRyder bikes.  These bikes allow you to lean into a turn, making the ride more real (and intense!).  I seriously felt like I was going to fall off when I initially got on!

It was a ridiculous 45-minute ride with amazing top 40 music and a big screen TV playing music videos which made the class go by so fast.  Listening to music, watching TV, sweating, and being amongst people as crazy as you is perfection to me!

Even though I broke my no workout streak, I am so happy that I got a chance to go and meet some of the people that will be riding in June.

I know I have a few new readers and if you’re catching up or are curious as to what I’m doing, you can read my original post about the ride here.  Basically I will be participating in a 75km bike ride this summer in honour and in memory of my father who passed away from a heart attack when I was eight years old.

I have registered to be part of the VIP program with a fundraising goal of $1000.  Thanks to many bloggers and friends, I am already at 40% of my goal!  If you would like to donate to the Heart and Stroke Foundation and support me in my ride, there is a donate box in my left sidebar that you can just click on or you can just click here to be taken to my donation page :)  Thank you so so SO much!

Have you ever been on a RealRyder bike??

What is the longest distance you have biked/spinned/ran?

1 Sarah J January 20, 2012 at 9:40 pm

19 miles in 45 minutes according to the LiveStrong bikes the Y has. That was my second class only but it was killer on me. I am excited for next Monday though!

2 Hiker mom January 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Those bikes sound awesome! I don’t know of any place around here that has them. That’s a good reason to break your no exercise streak:)

3 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen January 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I have tried spin a couple of times and was not the biggest fan, but that class sounds awesome!!! The whole time I was reading it, I was wishing I could go!!! Another reason to plan our trip to Toronto!!! Glad you had a great workout :)

4 Jenn's Adventures January 20, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I want to go, too!!!! Keep me posted on your travels!! I <3 Canada!

5 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner January 20, 2012 at 10:03 pm

That seems like a great things to break your streak for! Never tried a bike that like before. I think maybe the longest I’ve ridden on an (obviously, stationary!) bike was 36 miles one afternoon but it felt like FOREVER!

6 Jenn's Adventures January 20, 2012 at 10:12 pm

What a great opportunity I am sooooo glad you didn’t pass up — definitely worth “breaking the rule” =)

7 Nicole January 20, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Sounds like a fun class! I’ve never been to a spin class (it’s on my list of 12 new activities for this year).

8 Brooke @ Exercise For Fries January 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm

I’m scared of spin. I did it a few years ago for a while, but I was always so sore… down there. TMI?

9 Ali Mc January 21, 2012 at 12:41 am

21 miles in an hr is my best time! I think those pics of you and your dad are the cutest….you should get bangs again!!!

and I will donate soon…..

10 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 21, 2012 at 1:00 am

I knew you would cave ;)

11 Kiah January 21, 2012 at 1:12 am

Oh man, that spin class sounds like an awesome atmosphere! Totally puts my run o’ the mill spin class to shame ;-)
I think it’s awesome that you’re taking part in this, esp. in memory of your dad. So so so proud of you for taking this on, lady!

12 Jo at simplehappyhealthy January 21, 2012 at 1:12 am

CYKL sounds great. The few gyms around here don’t even have treadmills… no joke. Your fundraising goal is awesome, I’m sure you can do it!

13 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 21, 2012 at 2:10 am

I probably would’ve broke my streak too! I looove spinning. You just reminded me how much I miss it. I have been focusing all on running and weights lately!

14 Jessica @ rerunrunning January 21, 2012 at 10:40 am

Haha… I told myself I wouldn’t run this week, but it’s so hard to stick with bans on the things we love. (This is why I’ve never been able to cut sweets from my diet!)

It sounds like an awesome place… and those bikes… how cool are they?! I’m super stoked for your bike race, especially because it’s you and you’re so stellar… way to do it for your dad. You’re amazing! :)

15 Chels January 21, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I love spinning!! Even more so now that I have my very own spin bike. Longest though, about an hour and 10 min. Kills my legs!!

16 Lizzy January 22, 2012 at 12:22 am

oh my gosh this looks like a blast, I would not have been able to refuse the invite either! :)
Love your pink bic band, I have the twin!
i’m an endurance freak so I live for distance! I’ve biked 120-miles, spin 2-hrs, run 26.2!
I hope you’re having a great weekend! sending you healing vibes!
xoxo!

17 Jennifer M. January 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Hello! I love your blog! Got your link off the comment on my own blog, so I had to come check things out. ;)

Great job to be doing the things you need to do to be healthy! I am such a couch potato, it isn’t even funny. I try very hard to eat right though, so that’s half the battle, right?

18 Christina @ The Athletarian January 23, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Thanks Jennifer!! I found you via Angie and entered your contest!!

You are totally right about the eating part. Diet is about 80% of the work so you’re on the right track!

19 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean January 23, 2012 at 3:23 am

You, my friend, are so inspirational. I LOVE that you’re doing the full on VIP part of the ride :-)

20 janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 23, 2012 at 3:38 am

Longest biking…100 miles:) Girl, I wish we could go to spin together! Love that picture of you!

21 Kyria January 23, 2012 at 6:44 am

Ha! You just can’t help but work out, can you!?

The longest I ever rode was in spin class for a one hour class. For running, I have run a marathon. I really enjoyed spin classes and I need to get back into it, but I have been so focused on running lately that everything else has gone to the back burner!

22 Tink January 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Cykl sounds like a lot of fun. And there are worse things to cave in for!

23 Theresa January 23, 2012 at 5:03 pm

that spin class sounds right up my alley!! i have a gym membership so i just take spinning there, but a studio completely dedicated to spinning? SIGN ME UP! hahaha

longest time i’ve spent spinning was an hour and a half..it was intense. longest run has been 15 miles :)

24 Jennifer (The Gourmetour) February 11, 2012 at 4:36 am

I just tried RealRyder two Mondays ago! I loved it, it was a serious workout and made a really fun way to switch up my spin/workout schedule!