Guilt-free deliciousness

by Christina @ The Athletarian on January 16, 2012

After a weekend of less than perfect eating (enter friend’s AND grandfather’s birthday celebrations), I was craving nothing but goodness today.  Goodness as in good for the body, not as in delicious-tasting-goes-straight-to-your-hips goodness.  But why can’t we have both delicious and good-for-the-body goodness?  Oh we can.

I have been stalking surfing this girl’s blog lately and have come across some pretty appealing recipes.  Okay, she has a great bod too and sometimes I catch myself spending more time looking at her abs ;)  There was a great recipe for what she calls “egg puffs“.  I hate eggs.  Actually, I despise eggs.  They have to be well hidden in something for me to eat them.  There are a few recipes, though, where me and nature’s most complete protein have gotten along.  This is one of them.

Cinnamon “Sugar” Egg Puffs (adapted from Vanilla Bean Lean)

Ingredients: egg whites (I used a cup of carton egg whites), cinnamon, 0-cal sweetener, xanthan gum (optional – I only used 1/8 tsp)

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Pour your egg whites into a bowl and mix with a hand mixer on high until eggs form a stiff peak (be patient - this is the most important part!).

3.  Add your xanthan gum (helps keep the shape of the puffs while baking), cinnamon and sweetener to taste (I just kept adding/tasting until it reached yumminess factor :D )

4. Use a spoon to place puffs on baking sheet.

5. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes (times may vary depending on oven). They should be slightly golden on top.

Enjoy each protein packed cloud of joy!

Yum!

These were sooooo good!!  I ate every.single.one!  But you know what??  It’s okay because they are nothing but good for you!  The stats for all of them – 120 calories and 28 grams of protein.  So there.  I can eat a whole batch of treats and feel absolutely no guilt!

Check out Vanilla Bean Lean’s other flavour varieties here.

Go make  these.  Now.

What is your favourite protein-packed treat or meal?

1 Brittany @Little b's healthy habits January 16, 2012 at 6:47 pm

These look awesome, I love her site too!

2 Holly January 16, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Oh wow that looks amazing. And that was just added to my recipe list!!

This morning we had good eats but definetly not good for your body. LOL I made cream cheese stuffed french toast. Let’s just say the Boys are now sitting on the couch like “omg…sooo…full…”

3 Karine January 16, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’m supposed to eat egg whites at night but they’re kinda boring (I always do a shake). Will try them tonight, I think :-)

4 Briana January 16, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Yuuuuuuuuum. Those look amazing!

As soon as I pop this kid out, it’s back to low-calorie snacks for me!

(I am justifying my extra-piece-of-whatever eating to ‘the baby needs it.’ :)

5 Cassandra Cisneros January 16, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Those look amazing ~ even better there is no flour involved! I have to head to Whole Foods today I will picking up the ingredients for this for sure.

6 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean January 16, 2012 at 7:25 pm

You’re FANTASTIC. Absolutely-positutely FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for the shoutouts, you’re sweet :-)

I’m so glad you loved the recipe!! It’s the best I-want-something-tasty-and-lots-of-it-and-still-want-to-have-my-abs-too food! Have a blast making up a million new flavors, it’s the perfect recipe to be super creative with. Cocoa, pumpkin, “sugar”, cookies & cream, butter, garlic & dill, gosh … ANYTHING! Have fun rockstar!

7 Christina @ The Athletarian January 16, 2012 at 7:29 pm

OMG garlic and dill sounds amazing!!! Perfect replacement for a dinner roll! I feel like I’m going to be making these every day! Thanks, girl!!!!

8 Elle January 16, 2012 at 7:28 pm

yes, meringues. love them a lot and you can add a bit of cocoa to them for chocolate treats.

9 Amy January 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm

What is xanthan gum and where do you find it? I want these right now, sounds so yummy but I do not have that ingredient :(

10 Christina @ The Athletarian January 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hi Amy! You can find it at any health food store, but it’s really not necessary! I used such a small amount. They will still come out great without it!

11 Rachelle January 16, 2012 at 8:10 pm

OMG seriously? I am totally making these tonight. Wow all that deliciousness for 120 cal? How could you go wrong. Thanks for sharing girl.

12 Rachelle January 16, 2012 at 8:11 pm

P.S. I don’t think you’ve been posting enough pictures of Dean on the blog lately……just saying. :D ha ha

13 Christina @ The Athletarian January 16, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hahahaha!! Okay, sorry. I will ensure that he makes an appearance very soon! ;)

14 Alexandra January 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm

These just look beyond amazing!! I HAVE to make them asap, love the deliciousness and protein power! :D

15 Amy January 16, 2012 at 8:55 pm

They definitely look like something we will be trying very soon. Love, love, love cinnamon!

16 Jill January 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Ha…looks so funny….kinda creeps me out cause egg whites don’t really seem like “real ” food to….egg yolks…real food and wholesome and rich of iron and nutrients…more for me :)

17 Jill January 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm

“real” food to me…typo oops! in other words, enjoy your whites…i’ll take the yolks :)

18 Christina @ The Athletarian January 16, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Hahaha okay I’ll send you my yolks, you send me your whites! ;)

19 Kiah January 16, 2012 at 9:14 pm

oooo, YUM! She has some great content, but I had yet to discover these babies!

20 Hiker mom January 16, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Wow I need to try some of these recipes! I have been wanting to learn how to bake healthier treats for my family. Her oatmeal treats look amazing! Thanks for the tip:)

21 Danielle January 16, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I am in serious need of making these tonight!! Thanks for sharing :)

22 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen January 16, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Mmmmmm these look SOOOOO good! Thanks for sharing :)

23 Nicole January 16, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Yum! What a great treat.

24 Jenn's Adventures January 16, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I don’t eat eggs anymore and I’m seriously contemplating this one.. ;) xoox’s

25 Jessica @ rerunrunning January 16, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Wow! These sound crazy awesome! You don’t like eggs?! Oh man… I was totally craving a hard boiled egg yesterday… or a deviled egg… mmmm… :)

26 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate January 17, 2012 at 1:03 am

For some reason I can’t just eat the whites. They have no flavor and there is so much nutrition in the yolk!

27 Christina @ The Athletarian January 17, 2012 at 1:04 am

Ha for some reason I don’t like eggs AT ALL!! But this little recipe does the trick! You can flavour them however you like :)

28 Chels January 17, 2012 at 1:34 am

Those look awesome, my problem is that I OD on protein…too much of it!!

29 Cait the Arty Runnerchick January 17, 2012 at 1:57 am

dang, thanks for sharing! i’ve never seen these things, but i could devour about a million and not even bat an eye! thanks for sharing her blog too…cool stuff!

30 Ali Mc January 17, 2012 at 2:21 am

I love the looks of these egg puffs and that vanillalean girl is RIPPED! holy moly :)

31 Lauren Q January 17, 2012 at 2:26 am

Ah, I wish we had a hand mixer! These sound so tasty!

32 Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 17, 2012 at 2:54 am

Very interesting recipe… will be trying this out sometime! Thanks for the idea m’dear!

33 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 17, 2012 at 3:40 am

This is crazy. I’ve never heard of something like this. I need to make ASAP!

34 Caitlin C January 17, 2012 at 5:18 am

YUMMM oh my goodness.. these look so good and a whole batch for only 120 cals?! I need to make these asap..

35 A Fine balance January 17, 2012 at 1:37 pm

oh my word! you had me at egg puffs lol!

cant wait to try these out tonight

already drooling!

36 Lisa January 17, 2012 at 3:47 pm

they are like meringue cookies, so cute. Saw this in Oxygen magazine few years ago. I must try them out! :)

37 Brittany @Little b's healthy habits January 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Totally trying this tonight!

38 Kate @ Run with Kate January 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Only 120 calories! Whoa mama! I don’t eat eggs and I wish there was an alternative — boo! I am missing out on low calorie goodness.

So I checked out body rock because of your post and wow, that stuff is intense. I love it!

39 Ricole Runs January 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Hmmm, I want to try this, though honestly, it sounds kind of disgusting! About how long do you need to beat the eggs for? It seems like it needs to be a long time? Thanks for the healthy snack recipe!

40 Corey @ Learning Patience January 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

WOW…these are right up my alley – can’t wait to try them out! I think it will be this week. Thanks for posting. YUM.

xoxo from Trinidad

41 janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 17, 2012 at 8:24 pm

OH MY….those look amazing! I have to try those!

42 Felicia January 17, 2012 at 8:32 pm

i NEED to try making these! i’ve seen her make them and had them in the back of my mind, i just usually cook egg whites really quick and eat them savory style. i think i’m just impatient sometimes :)

43 Sonia the Mexigarian January 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

wow. i love eggs. these kind of remind me of merengues but without loads of sugar and such. i have to try these out. any way to get my protein in!

44 Julie January 18, 2012 at 9:33 pm

That’s it! I’m making these TONIGHT! I’ll report back tomorrow. :)

45 Elle January 18, 2012 at 11:04 pm

You could use a bit of cream of tartar too for helping the egg whites hold their shape instead of the gum.

46 Jina @ Behold the Turtle January 19, 2012 at 1:44 am

I keep thinking about these … I think I need to make them!

47 Vivian January 19, 2012 at 4:28 am

What else could I add to make them hold? Mine kinda flatten out once I took them out of the oven. I don’t have xantham gum…or maybe I just need to mix it more?

48 Christina @ The Athletarian January 19, 2012 at 5:18 am

The xanthan gum shouldn’t make too much of a difference! I actually made these again today and didn’t use any. You have to make sure that you mix them until they are really stiff. I do it for at least 8 minutes on HIGH with an electric hand mixer!

49 Mindy@FSLblog January 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Sweeeeeet! I’m so making these! Love it.

50 Andrea Hill January 23, 2012 at 12:37 am

They look like meringue (sp?). Do they taste like it? Is there a lemon option here waiting to happen?

51 Christina @ The Athletarian January 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Yes they taste very similar! Lemon would be a great flavour!! I think I may just have to try that…

52 Jenn @ Running Jennie January 23, 2012 at 1:15 am

These look delicious!

Folks should note that you need to use a glass or stainless steel bowl – if you use plastic, the oils from the plastic will keep the eggs from forming peaks.

53 Christina @ The Athletarian January 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Thanks, Jennie!! That’s great to know! I only have stainless steel bowls at home so I would have never even thought to mention that!

54 Hannah January 23, 2012 at 1:59 am

making these RIGHT now

55 Kristina February 14, 2012 at 1:00 am

These look so yummy! I’m like to make a big batch of them to carry around with me to classes, but how do you store them?

56 Christina @ The Athletarian February 14, 2012 at 4:14 pm

You can store them in the fridge in a plastic container! They lose their crisp though…still taste good but the texture will be off! I prefer them freshly made but I have eaten them the next day too :)

57 Doris @vanillacocoberry February 16, 2012 at 3:35 pm

YUMMMM!!! I just threw my first batch into the oven!! Had to mix it with my hands because I dont have an electric hand mixer :( …. does this count as an amazing arm workout or what???

also, I added a dash of salt!

58 Christina @ The Athletarian February 16, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Let me know how they came out! I have had a lot of people ask if it’s possible to do by hand but I have never tried!

59 Cindi February 22, 2012 at 1:02 pm

They taste great and are sooo easy to make, but mine were not crispy coming out of the oven :( Are yours? Does the xantam gum help with that, cause that’s the only thing I didn’t use.

60 GiGi Eats Celebrities November 10, 2012 at 1:39 am

How do I make this if I don’t have a mixer!! They look AWESOME! :)

61 Christina @ The Athletarian November 12, 2012 at 10:36 am

I’ve never made them without a mixer so I’m not sure!! I hnow some people have tried to whip them by hand but I think it would take a really long time to get the egg whites super fluffy the way an electric mixer does. It IS possible, it’ll just take a lot of muscle! Let me know if you try it that way!