New things

by Christina @ The Athletarian on January 11, 2012

I don’t know about you but sometimes I get bored of things easily.  Whether it’s my hair style (PS check out Electra’s new ‘do – she looks amazing!), my workout routine, food, or even my blog layout.  I’m always looking for ways to spice up my blog, to make it “cleaner” and more visually appealing.  I was reading Oh She Glows yesterday and she mentioned her new addition of buttons and I really liked the look of them!  So yes, I stole her idea and used the same widget to create mine:

The buttons are now located in the left sidebar.  I just feel that having all of the ways you can connect with me (Facebook, Twitter, RSS, email, and Pinterest) in one sweet little space works perfectly!  Plus, having a gazillion boxes in my sidebar will probably lengthen the time it takes my page to load for you awesome readers.  See, I’m always thinking about you ;)

Other groundbreaking news – I have discovered MyFitnessPal thanks to James Wilson who offers really amazing fitness tips.  Follow him on Facebook!  He is really nice and takes the time to respond to questions about everything.  MyFitnessPal is an app for iPhone that allows you to track your daily eats!  I know, nothing new, right?  Wrong.  It breaks down your stats into charts so that you know exactly how much of everything you are eating:

By plugging everything in I am able to see that I am on track with the 40/40/20 macronutrient balance that I’m aiming for!  I thought that it would be hard to log things but this app seriously has everything on file.  It even has specific protein powders, salsas and yogurts!  If you have an iPhone I definitely recommend it!  I don’t know if I could do it forever but right now for the program I’m on, it works!  Thanks James :)

Have you entered my giveaway yet?  Three subscriptions to Oxygen Magazine up for grabs!

Do you use MyFitnessPal or any other means of recording what you eat?

1 Sarah J January 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Oooh that Widget is nice looking!

2 theAlmostRunner January 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Love the widget… actually, I love all social media. : )

3 Alexandra January 11, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I love that fitness pal app too, it’s so nifty! :D
Hope you have a great day girl!

4 Suzanne January 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Love the widget and I have several friends who have raved about that app!

5 Krystie January 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Great app, I think I’ll have to download it! I get bored with the same old things too so I’m always looking for some change :)

6 Amylee January 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I thought that app was so cool, too! I’m going to start tracking on it today.

7 Jill January 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Wow,,,I eat a lot more fat than that!!

I can’t imagine wanting to track food intake though…seems obsessive, boring and well…there’s life to be lived , right! Be careful, girl!

8 Christina @ The Athletarian January 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Ha don’t you worry! I’m doing it so I make sure that I’m eating ENOUGH! I am still living. I LOVE FOOD!

9 Hikermom January 11, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I like the widget. I need to switch over to wordpress soon so I can enjoy all the fun blogging stuff!

10 Corey @ Learning Patience January 11, 2012 at 3:58 pm

LOVE the simple new buttons. Great add. Hope all is well girlie!
xoxo from Trinidad

11 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident January 11, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I love myfitnesspal I use it all the time. It is so easy and they have so many foods in the database. The ability to scan a barcode is my favorite feature. Can you have friends and followers on it? I have always just used it for personal use, but being a part of the community might be cool.

12 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 11, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Yay for the buttons! Such a great and easy way for people to follow you :D

13 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 11, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Cool, I may steal… I mean “borrow” that widget too. As for the tracker, I use the MyNetDiary app. So far I like it.

14 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner January 11, 2012 at 4:43 pm

The buttons are great – such a clean look. I love it! Is the 40/20/20 part of the Jamie Eason plan? Just curious!

15 Christina @ The Athletarian January 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

It’s 40/40/20! And yes, it’s pretty much “supposed” to be an average that most people should follow (if trying to put on lean muscle). Mind you there have been days were my carbs and fat probably make up more than anything. Whoops. It’s been a while since I’ve had one of those days though! PS – LOVED your post yesterday. You are seriously the best!

16 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner January 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Thanks! I don’t know much about that ratio (or any ratios) but I would be curious to see what my stats equal. I’m guessing more carbs, whoops!

17 Christina @ The Athletarian January 11, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Yeah, I love my carbs too! In the last phase carbs are reduced and most of the calories are supposed to come from protein and healthy fats… I don’t know if I will end up following that 100% though. As long as my meals are healthy and fairly balanced, I think I should be okay!

18 Ali Mc January 12, 2012 at 2:51 am

I use my fitness pal and my carbs are always insane ;) I really need to start eating more protein.

ps: I spent an hour writing each individual code to put my social media button in and I could not – for the life of me get the buttons horizontal.

Who knew you could just grab one off Oh she glows ;) …heading over there!

19 Holly January 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Definetly obsessed with Pinterest! I just followed all your boards :D And that widget is kinda nice :D

20 misszippy1 January 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm

All your buttons look great over there! I need to get going w/ Pinterest one of these days. And the app sounds great, especially since there’s a person who you can connect with!

21 Kate @ Run with Kate January 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Cool App! It sounds helpful but I am so bad about tracking my eats. I go on Pinterest to look at cool photos and what-not but haven’t created my own account. I’m too nervous to get sucked into something else!

22 Mindy@FSLblog January 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I use the daily burn app on my iPhone

23 Katie @ msfitrunner January 11, 2012 at 5:45 pm

I really enjoyed this post – I LOVE myfitnesspal – I really like the app a lot better than the website. I like how it can kind of guide you in what to eat, like if I’m hungry, and it looks like I need to up my protein %, I know what to reach for. I would have a really hard time getting 40% protein in, not eating meat, dairy or tofu and trying not to live on shakes. Trying to figure that out! I shoot for 35% and if I get 30, I’m happy:)
PS – I really like the layout of your blog too – very calm and inviting:)

24 Brittany @Little b's healthy habits January 11, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I’m not counting calories right now, but when I do my fitness pal is a life saver! I love that you can access it both online and as an app. Very helpful!

25 Rachelle January 11, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Girl I just joined myfitnesspal too!! I don’t even have an i-phone but am in this competition where I have to journal my food so it is perfect. It really helps put everything into perspective. Lets be friends my un is rawardle!

26 Sarah @ feeedingbrainandbody January 11, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I love myfitnesspal, it’s definitely a great app! Love the new buttons, they look great :)

27 Ed January 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I don’t track my food intake…I am just trying to eat primal…works greats!

28 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen January 11, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I love the widgets….yet another reason to switch to Wordpress! Sounds like a great app, thanks for sharing! I like tracking things, but give it up when it is too tedious or is hard to enter everything :)

29 Abby January 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I love myfitness pal!! So far (over a year of using it off and on) I have yet to find a food that it doesn’t have in its database thingy. =) And even though my vote always go to the iPhone, I have a droid with the app on it. Score! Love your blog!

30 Calvin January 11, 2012 at 9:37 pm

You REALLY make self-hosted sound like fun. I need to switch sooner rather than later so I can play with some of the buttons on my site, too!

31 Britt @ Chicago Runner Girl January 12, 2012 at 1:03 am

love the widget and have been searching for something like this to add to my site because i’m incapable of creating my own. i may steal this…

32 Jessica @ rerunrunning January 12, 2012 at 2:33 am

You are always thinking of us, you sweet girl! I think the page did load faster! Haha. :)

And that app seems way cool! I think I’d be stoked about it any other time, but right now I don’t think I want to know how much I’m eating. It’s enough for me to eat when I’m hungry and know that it’s helping the baby and not think any more about it. (I’m definitely eating more than I used to before I was growing a peanut!)

33 stephanie January 12, 2012 at 4:21 am

cute buttons!

i used to used an app like that but got overly obsessed so i had to delete it. im glad you like it though!

34 Cait the Arty Runnerchick January 12, 2012 at 6:06 am

ummm, okay, i hope it’s okay that i now swipe the widget idea from you. :)

35 Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 12, 2012 at 2:34 pm

OO that is a really cool app! I have a calorie counter now.. but I do kinda want to give this one a go! Thanks for the idea lady

36 Danielle January 12, 2012 at 6:29 pm

i use MyFitnessPal, but not as in detail as I should – I more log it to keep my portions and calories in check – it always says I am over on my sugars which is depressing, but it is also neat to see the pieces of my diet I need to work on!