better late than never.

by Christina @ The Athletarian on November 24, 2011

Today I thought it might be a good idea to do my first WIAW.  I still don’t know how I feel about it!  I want to eat my food as soon as it’s ready and I really am not that great at photographing anything!  I don’t really think people would be that curious about what I eat but hey, who knows!  I read everyone’s WIAW so maybe they’ll read mine too??  I don’t really consider myself to be a food blogger (my food is relatively boring and super easy to make) but I hope you are still able to enjoy this post!

I think the first thing I’m supposed to do is credit Jenn from Peas and Crayons who makes her food look way more delicious than mine!

Thank you, Jenn!

I would just like to note that the tofu and cheddar sandwich that I had for lunch was so ridiculously good.  Meg introduced me to this amazing smoked tofu not too long ago and I’ve eaten it a few times since.  The combination of the smokiness and the sharp white cheddar cheese I used was out of this world.  Plus it was grilled to perfection.  YUM.

I had the Greek yogurt concoction post-workout and it hit the spot.  Grow, muscles, grow!

How do you feel about WIAW?  Should this be my first and last ever attempt?

What’s the best thing you ate (yesterday or today)?  I know it’s Thanksgiving for most of you so I’m pretty sure you’ve got some good eats hanging around!

1 Jenn @ Peas and Crayons November 24, 2011 at 4:43 am

I didn’t know smoky tofu existed!? and paring it with cheddar panini style? um…. SO COPYING YOU! everything looks and sounds awesome girly! def inspired over here! Happy 1st WIAW!!!!! <3

2 Christina @ The Athletarian November 25, 2011 at 3:54 am

AH! Your comment went to SPAM! I just approved it right now so we’re all good to go! Yes, smoky tofu is to die for! I actually hated tofu until I tried this flavoured one! It’s organic, too! The brand is called Soyganic :)

Thanks again for hosting! It was definitely fun and I hope to do it again if my food isn’t too boring ;) I love reading everyone’s WIAW. Definitely a great way to share meal ideas! Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

3 Falon November 24, 2011 at 4:48 am

Yeah, I read everyone’s WIAW too, but mine would be a snooze as it would probably end up being the same every week. Your food looks yummy though!

4 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 4:56 am

Hahaha yeah I have the same thoughts about mine…I pretty much eat similar things all the time. I’m not that creative in the kitchen!

5 Sara Grambusch November 24, 2011 at 4:51 am

Cinnamon Roll is retired now? Did you ever have Cocoa Mole? I hope they bring it back some day. I just recently started doing WIAW. I have fun writing them creatively but the WIAW posts I find interesting are generally from the food blogs I already read. It can be fun when everyone has time to comment and there are some cool ideas. This week, being the day before Thanksgiving, no one is on so I’d give it one more week to see if you have with it or not. :)

6 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 4:56 am

Yes! It’s retired…so sad. I was able to find a box of them in NYC a few weeks ago though…so just a few left! I have sen Cocoa Mole online but never tried it! I guess that one is retired too? Why do they do this to us?!?

I also think the WIAW posts are fun. I figured no one would read this week’s because of the American holiday, but I figured I would do it anyway. I think of it as a practice run :) Maybe I’ll try it again next week! Thanks for stopping by!

7 Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 24, 2011 at 5:42 am

Welcome to the WIAW party! We’re happy to have you! I know it feels as though your eats would be uninteresting to others but it’s such a great way to get ideas! I’m a vegetarian too and love to prowl around (haha makes me sound a bit creepy…) other WIAW blogs and see what people are cooking up. For example, if you ever feel like sharing that smoked tofu sandwich recipe I would definitely be interested!! x

8 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 11:35 am

Haha thanks! It’s very simple – just two slices of Ezekiel bread, tofu (I use the brand Soyganic – comes already smoked), and very sharp white cheddar cheese! Grill it for a few minutes and you’ve got yourself a tasty sandwich!

9 Jenn's Adventures November 24, 2011 at 6:23 am

WE ARE TWINS! I was going to post a “better late than never” post today commencing my FIRST “What I Ate Wednesday” post too!! Things ended up getting way too crazy though, so I couldn’t finish it. It’s still a work in progress, but maybe I can edit a little and post it tomorrow:)

I take pictures of EVERYTHING, so these posts are right up my ally. It’s a wonder why it’s took me so long to join in on the fun! Oh well! Keep doing it — if you can stand to take a picture before diggin’ in =P

10 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 11:36 am

You should totally still do it, Jenn!! There’s still time left to add your link to Jenn’s website! I’m so curious as to what you are eating now with all of your limitations!!! I’ll be looking out for your post!

11 CArrie November 24, 2011 at 10:35 am

GREAT WIAW! i love the tofu.. sammie and larabar the bestttt!

12 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 11:36 am

Thanks, Carrie!! Those were my two favourite meals of the day ;)

13 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner November 24, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Yummy food! I always think I want to do a WIAW but I can’t take pictures of everything – I always forget at least one meal or snack. I just take pictures of what I remember instead!

14 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I know…I forget to and then it just doesn’t look wuite as nice once it’s half eaten!! Your eats always look delicious though so keep doing what you’re doing!

15 Michael November 24, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Everything looks awesome!! I love Larabars . I didn’t eat much yesterday….really tried to scale back to give me room for today. Bring on Turkey Day!

16 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I would do the same if I had Thanksgiving today!! Enjoy your holiday!!!

17 Alexandra November 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Chocolate raspberry flavoring?!? Okay whoa man, that sounds beyond yummy!! Loving the grilled sole too :) Your eats rock! Have a great one!

18 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Thanks!! Yes, it is pretty tasty! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!!

19 Hayley @ Oat Couture November 24, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I’m on the fence about starting WIAW as well buttt I read everyone else’s and love the inspiration so maybe its time to give it a crack! Handy for those days when you have nothing to write about anyway! ;D I vote stick with it, it’s not like you have to do it every week…

20 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 1:59 pm

That’s true!! Maybe I will post an occasional WIAW! I think you should to one! The eats the you do post always look yummy!

21 Ali Mc November 24, 2011 at 1:58 pm

judging by the amount comments (as you usually have soooo many ;P) I’m gonna assume that I’m not the only one who thinks that WIAW is weird :P but your eats are fun and I did like the photos ;)

I’m glad you’re eating fish but not to be that person….but I will be that means you’re not a vegetarian :P I think it’s called a pescetarian ;) but I have even had hardcore vegan friends that ended up having to eat fish for the mere nutritional factor. so it’s good you’re fueling your body :)

PS: hope you aren’t mad, it’s not your food it’s just I think WIAW is stupid. Sorry Peas and Crayons ;)

22 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Haha I’m not offended!! And I actually did post about being a pescatarian rather than a vegetarian the other day! I don’t know if it’s going to last but I am trying it out to see how it goes.

I also think comments are going to be less frequent all around today because of the American Thanksgiving! I know I would be too busy eating if I had a huge plate of stuffing staring me in the face!

23 Danielle November 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Those things are all interesting and delicious looking, I say yay to to the WIAW – I don’t take pics of food really anymore because Tripp gets aggravated and I would rather cherish time eating with him than make him feel uncomfortable, but I do love pictures of pretty food!

24 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Thanks, Danielle! I agree with you though. If I had Dean around yesterday I probably wouldn’t have taken all that time to take pictures! Eating together and enjoying each other’s company is so important.

25 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm

You did an awesome job!! All your eats looks deeeelicious :D I say you keep doing it! Sometimes I am awful at taking my foods pictures too but at least once a week I think I will live haha. Have a great day!

26 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Thanks, Brittany! You have a great day too! Happy Thanksgiving!

27 Tessa @ Amazing Asset November 24, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I participate in it every week, but I like to do a spin on it each time. My typical day of eats is sooo boring, so that’s why I have to change things up :)
I think you did an awesome job though, your eats look tasty

28 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm

Thanks, Tessa! I always love reading yours! You include some really great recipes. I always drool over the cookies and other sweets that you feature! Maybe I will post a recipe one week too!

29 Leonor @foodfaithfitness November 24, 2011 at 6:09 pm

I have never thought of pairing greek yogurt with pb. I might have to try that! Yummiest thing I’ve had is my pumpkin bread. I have to stop or else there will not be room for all the goods later.

30 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Mmm pumpkin bread sounds so good!! Definitely give the yogurt and PB a try! It’s magical!

31 Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco November 24, 2011 at 6:38 pm

I just stumbled on your blog and I LOVE it! I’m a new runner who is also a vegetarian, so do you have any tips for me? Thanks. ;) I started my blog posting what I ate, but wasn’t really feeling it, so I don’t do WIAW. I do think some people (like you) do it really well, though. Happy Thanksgiving!

32 Christina @ The Athletarian November 24, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Hi Kelly!!! Thank you for such a nice comment!! I love seeing new faces on here, especially vegetarian runner faces ;) It’s not Thanksgiving here in Canada but I’m still having a happy one reading all of the amazing blog posts out there revolving around the big day! I can’t wait to check your blog out!! Enjoy your holiday!

33 Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life November 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I’m so excited to stumble across your blog because I love it! I’m vegetarian and attempting to get into this whole running thing so your blog has been an awesome find. I’m boring and eat the same things every day (being a teacher it’s pretty easy to get into a set routine) so I only really post the things I eat when I go out of my way to make something awesome. Otherwise, I’m sure people would switch off!! However, I do love WIAW for ideas and just to stickybeak on what’s on others’ plates! Is that creepy? Meh, it’s all ideas I suppose!!

Enjoy your holidays!

34 Christina @ The Athletarian November 25, 2011 at 12:26 am

I’M A TEACHER TOO!!!! So we’re basically twins. Veggies, runners, and teachers!! So happy you found me!! I am going to add you to my Google Reader so I can creep all of your meal ideas too! I’m always looking for quick and yummy things to pack for work! Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! I’m going to head over to your blog now :)

35 Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life November 25, 2011 at 12:28 am

Oh my goodness! How did I miss that?!?! It’s fate!

36 Christina @ The Athletarian November 25, 2011 at 12:40 am

It really is!!! Can you teach me to surf if I come visit? :D

37 Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life November 25, 2011 at 12:41 am

Hahaha I would if I could! I’m scared of fish so the nearest I get to the ocean is paddling my feet in the waves! Lame-o! Hehe.

38 Laura November 25, 2011 at 1:22 am

That’s a pretty awesome Wednesday! Colorful too… I’m a huge fan of the Tropical Tango in smoothies but I’ve never tried it in oats. Officially on my to-do list now!!

39 Christina @ The Athletarian November 25, 2011 at 1:23 am

Definitely try it!! It’s SO good! Add some strawberries or bananas and you feel like you’re on vacation ;)

40 Beth @ RUNNING around my kitchen November 25, 2011 at 1:36 am

This is great! I love the panini sandwich you made….almost makes me want to go get some tofu :) I don’t think I could ever last with WIAW because I wouldn’t have the patience to take all the pictures of everything before (key word!) I ate them!!!

41 Christina @ The Athletarian November 25, 2011 at 3:34 am

I know…it was really hard for me to stare at my food…especially the sandwich! The cheese was oozing out of it and I just wanted to eat it so bad! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

42 Amy November 25, 2011 at 11:14 am

I am always hesitant about taking part in things where I photograph my whole day’s worth of food so I applaud you for taking the leap! Your post workout snack sounds so yummy!!

43 Christina @ The Athletarian November 25, 2011 at 2:46 pm

You should definitely do it! You always post some really good looking treats!

44 Carrie Shaw November 25, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Keep up the WIAW, your food looks awesome! My favorite restaurant in college had grilled and blackened tofu and I would add that to everything I ever ordered there- it was so good. I haven’t eaten tofu in a while but I think I have to try your grilled cheese. Yesterday was thanksgiving for me so I can’t even choose a best thing I ate…

45 Alyssa November 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Your food looks good to me, especially that sandwich! I’m embarrassed to do one of these posts, I eat way more than I’d want to admit to!