A Dash of… & a WINNER!

by Christina @ The Athletarian on October 19, 2011

I would like to introduce you all to an awesome blogger – her name is Meg and she blogs over at A Dash of Meg.  She blogs about some pretty sweet recipes and gives you some great examples of strength workouts.  I tried one today and it seriously kicked my trash and made me a sweaty beast by the end.  It was a leg workout and it burned so good.  I love working out my legs so much and I notice improvements in my strength really quickly!  I’m going to check her blog out again tonight so I can steal an upper body workout to do tomorrow :P

One of the exercises was “kickbacks” which can be done different ways.  You can do them with no weight at all but I brought my handy little ankle strap along to the gym and hooked it up to a cable machine to increase my burn.  Love.  The angle of this picture makes me look like I have cankles.  Don’t love.

I also did something a bit random.  The Urbanathlon is next Saturday.  Yep, it’s that close.  And my arms are still noodles.  There are 5-foot hurdles that I am going to have to get myself over and I have no idea how I’m going to go about doing it.  I set up a bar so that it was about 5-feet high and tried to pull myself up into a stiff arm position.  It’s hard.  Really hard.  I needed to use a little step but once I got up I was able to hold my weight up.  Apparently people are great at the race and help each other out so I pictured the step being someone giving me a little boost.  I think it’ll be okay :)

I also squeezed in a 1-mile sprint and a short rendezvous with the stairmill (there are like a gazillion stadium stairs at the race that apparently slow a lot of people down so I really want to be ready for that!).  It’s a love/hate relationship with this guy.

I am so pumped for this race.  It’s so different from anything I’ve ever done.  I know it’s be tough but I like it that way.  I’m not going to set any time goals for myself because I have absolutely no idea what to expect.  I might not even wear my Garmin…I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself!

Okay, now for what you have all been waiting for…the winner of my Fashletics giveaway is…

Congrats Jennifer!  E-mail me at theathletarian [at] gmail [dot] com so we can arrange your winnings!

What is your favourite muscle group to strength train?

Do you think I should wear my Garmin for the race?  Or will it add to my already existing anxiety??

1 Elle October 19, 2011 at 2:20 am

Looks like a good workout. Are you going to get a chance to run some stadium stairs? They are so tough!

Congrats, Jenn.

2 Christina @ The Athletarian October 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Yes! I’m nervous! Apparently a lot of people stop to walk the stairs because there are so many!

3 Emily@RunningPerspective October 19, 2011 at 2:24 am

um GIRL NEXT SATURDAY!! you are gonna do AWESOMEEE i know it with your upping your protein and all your strength training! you are gonna be amazinggggggg!! and ahhh i am IN LOVE with your nike freeesss i am totally stealing themm<3

4 Christina @ The Athletarian October 19, 2011 at 7:57 pm

Haha I hope so! We will see. I can’t wait to write about it!

5 Heather@Just a Colorado Gal October 19, 2011 at 2:29 am

I’m loving the Body Pump-style classes with an overall-strength training deal. Otherwise, I’m pretty miserable at weights :)

I would say don’t wear your Garmin! Your time will be a lot slower (in my experience anyway!) than what you’re speedy self is used to but that’s only cause you’ll have so many obstacles and waiting people in your way!

6 Jenn's Adventures October 19, 2011 at 2:31 am

I am sooooooo jealous of your Urbanathlon (and of Jennifer–congrats on the win!) I would definitely take your garmin–don’t be nervous! Just have fun!! And I LOOOOVE working out my arms and back. Having toned arms and a strong back is important–and it’s supah sexy:)

7 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 19, 2011 at 2:34 am

That race is going to be such a blast! I can’t wait to hear about it! :) My favorite group to strength train is definitely arms and back! :)

8 Julia @ Pain, Pride, Perseverance October 19, 2011 at 2:34 am

pumped for your race!!! you have done some awesome training and it seriously just sounds so fun! you will do amazing!

9 TriGirl October 19, 2011 at 2:47 am

I haven’t seen a stair master with actual stairs in about 15 years. But it’s probably the closest thing to actually doing stairs :) Nice work!

10 Suzanne October 19, 2011 at 4:13 am

Congratulations Jennifer!

The Urbanathon sounds like it’s going to be a lot of fun. I think you are going to do great! I’m keeping my fingers crossed there are going to be some stellar pictures from this event!

11 Cara @ EAT.PRAY.RUN. October 19, 2011 at 4:48 am

I say screw the garmin and just roll with it, you’ll still end up showing that race who’s boss…and without the added pressure! I’m setting myself up for noodle arms tomorrow, intense upper bod workout scheduled since I ran today and my legs are still a bit angry at me from the marathon! xo!

12 Kim October 19, 2011 at 6:15 am

Don’t wear the garmin if they are going to provide you with your overall time–unless you absolutely care about how fast you do each event. It sounds like one of those events that’s all about getting people out there having fun.

13 MilesMusclesMom October 19, 2011 at 9:12 am

WOO HOO! Really?? Wow :) Thank you so much for hosting!!

I say ditch the Garmin and just be in the now during the Urbanathon. I have a friend who did the Chicago one last year and LOVED it-she had a blast. Enjoy it without obsessing about pace!
We have one of those old school stair masters at my gym and I love that thing. I call it the StairBeast….I love working arms-I love the way they look after a hard lifting sesh :)

14 Christy October 19, 2011 at 10:58 am

I can’t wait to read all about it! I say no Garmin your pace will be crazy with all the obstacles anyway, just go for it based on feel.

I will have to check out Meg!

15 Meg @ A Dash of Meg October 19, 2011 at 11:06 am

You are such a sweetheart :D love love love you and you know what else I love? You are so close to me that I actually CAN meet you some day if we plan a date ;) awwww you are so sweet <3 I hope you find an upper body w/o that you like :D today I am doing a new quad focus workout… will be posting it tonight :D

xoxo

16 Carrie Shaw October 19, 2011 at 12:28 pm

The urbanathlon does seem hard to train for but will probably be so fun! Good luck!

17 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner October 19, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love to work my arms most. When I focus on my lower body I just imagine how bad my legs will feel for the next day’s run and it is just counter productive, ha!
I wouldn’t wear your Garmin. It could easily get smashed with all the obstacles, plus you’ll just be worrying about your pace the whole time. The Urbathalon is so much more than that!!

18 Theresa October 19, 2011 at 2:01 pm

i have a love/hate relationship with the stairclimber too…it kills me each time but i love it bc i know its a good workout, haha!

i think your race sounds like something that you prob wouldnt want to use your garmin for…have fun, be tough (yay gameface) and i’m sure it will be a blast!

19 janaejacobs October 19, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I love strengthening my shoulders!! Girl, kick backs kill me. Okay, and the stair machine…OUCH!

20 Ali Mc October 19, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I would leave the garmin. It sounds like this is going to be more for fun and the fact that you accomplished it – not for how fast you did it in. but I could be wrong? I think that you will be awesome and if it’s anything like the other obstacle courses I’ve seen everyone DOES help each other and it’s more fun than anything else :D stairs are brutal, there’s a huge set outside near my place that I do sometimes and they kill me – 500 steps! PS: meg is great!

21 Rachelle October 19, 2011 at 3:36 pm

You are amazing and your strength workouts are great. You are going to do awesome at the race and have a blast. I definitely wouldn’t wear the garmin. Just have fun!

22 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 19, 2011 at 4:19 pm

That Urbanathalon race just keeps sounding harder and harder! Geez!

23 Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 19, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Great workout! I will have to give it a try sometime

24 Briana October 19, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Oh, I miss tough workouts SO MUCH! So much.

That Urbanathon sounds amaz!! Can’t wait to hear how AWESOME you do!

25 Amylee October 19, 2011 at 8:23 pm

This race sounds so freaking awesome! I can’t wait to hear your recap about it. I LOVE hard races, too. In fact, I search them out. It’s good to feel tough sometimes- even though we’re girls :)

26 Beth October 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Good luck, you’re going to do awesome!!! My favorite areas to lift are tris and back and I would definitely take your Garmin!

27 Chels October 20, 2011 at 12:51 am

I LOVE anything with upper body…chest and shoulders by far the most. I have to be careful though now because I am also swimming, I have been shocked how much my arms have bulked up from swimming and lifting!

28 Cait the Arty Runnerchick October 20, 2011 at 3:07 am

you are such a BEAST (in a good way!) and i can’t believe you are doing that race…haha, i swear i’d prolly be stuck at the first wall and never reach the finish. cut to race officials pulling me off and me screaming, “i swear i’ll get it this time!” hehe.

GOOD LUCK tho cuz i know u’ll come out like a champ. i’d def go sans garmin because with all the obstacles in that race pace will count as nothing.

29 Amy October 20, 2011 at 8:01 am

I can’t believe that the Urbanathlon has come up so quickly! I am so excited for you!!! Also, I love kickbacks – burning hamstrings = love (I think?)

30 Athletes4life October 20, 2011 at 5:19 pm

This sounds like super fun! i am sure you will kick a**!

31 mallory October 21, 2011 at 12:31 am

Wear your Garmin. Flip it over if you don’t wanna see it!! Good luck!

32 Nelly October 21, 2011 at 12:52 am

I just saw a video of the Chicago Urbanathlon, there are a ton of stadium stairs, you will do great on them with that kind of training! The race looked like a ton of fun, I might have to try the race next year in SF!

33 Corrina October 21, 2011 at 5:06 am

Have lots of fun! Sounds kinda like the 10k Mud Runs I’ve done. You really can’t gauge your time until you do it a second time :)

34 Alyssa October 21, 2011 at 2:37 pm

I say wear the Garmin, but ignore it – that’s my new favorite way of running, just go by feel! I have to have my splits at the end though. Good luck!

35 Get Up & Go October 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I love her blog! Found it a few weeks ago.

Wear the Garmin! Why not??

My favorite muscle group to work is quads and hamstrings…..I love when they are sore the next day. Makes me feel productive!!!

xo
Sarah
Get Up & Go

36 Amanda@Runninghood October 24, 2011 at 3:59 am

You’ve inspired me to get to the gym to do some weights. My favorite is arms. And I love my garmin and can’t imagine racing without it now. You can always wear it and put tape over it so that you only look at it if you really feel like it.