Holy guacamole…

by Christina @ The Athletarian on October 6, 2011

I am obsessed with this stuff.

I bought it at Costco at the beginning of this week and have been eating the same meal every day!  It is all natural and only contains a handful of ingredients: avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, salt, and garlic.  Want a quick meal idea that’s vegetarian and high in PROTEIN???

• Get a can of black beans and saute the beans in a pan with SALSA (I didn’t use any oil – no reason, just that the salsa was enough!)
  • Place beans on a bed of lettuce (I used a mixed lettuce that had shredded carrots in it)
  • Top with guacamole, GREEK YOGURT (more protein!) and salsa (you can use soy yogurt too, Emily!)

This is like a healthified taco salad.  I think it would probably taste really awesome on some rice as well.  It would be like a burrito minus the tortilla!  You can add whatever you like to it – corn, hot sauce, peppers, onions!

Seriously, party in my mouth.

Worked wonders after today’s workout: 1 mile warm-up, Stephanie’s leg workout, 1 mile cool down.  I have FitBox tonight too!!!  Can’t wait to be reunited with BOB!

Tomorrow is the LAST DAY to enter my Aspaeris giveaway!  If you haven’t entered yet, GO GO GO!!!

What’s your favourite thing to eat guacamole with??

What was your workout today?

1 Meg @ A Dash of Meg October 6, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Cute picture girl ;) LOVE IT! I love that you are from Canada too :D Blogger meet up!??????? ;) Now wouldn’t that be awesome! Love this salad idea :) What a great idea :) Black beans are my all time favourite bean :)

I usually don’t actually make “guacamole” but I mash up avocado on toast :) Best snacky ever :)

I did the chest/triceps workout posted on my blog :) It was a gooder.

2 Christina @ The Athletarian October 6, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Yes! I’m from Toronto so we aren’t too far! Blogger meet-up is quite possible!

Totally try this salad. High in protein to fuel your amazing workouts!

3 Julia H October 6, 2011 at 10:48 pm

Yum!!! Love guac on taco salads!! So yummy…I make a similar type of salad sometimes with mango salsa…so yummy!!

4 Christina @ The Athletarian October 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I’ve never tried mango salsa! YUM!

5 Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner October 6, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I love taco salads. I cut up corn tortillas and toast them to make chips to scoop up all the salsa and greek yogurt, and it’s delicious!

6 Christina @ The Athletarian October 6, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Mmmm! I’m going to try making those next time!

7 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate October 6, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I <3 guac. SO good.

8 theAlmostRunner October 6, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Guacamole is one of my favorite things on this earth. SOOOO GOOD.

9 kari @ running ricig October 6, 2011 at 11:34 pm

i love guar with ANYTHING!!!

10 kari @ running ricig October 6, 2011 at 11:34 pm

and by guar i mean guac

11 Christina @ The Athletarian October 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Hahaha I love GUAR too! So good!

12 Alyssa October 7, 2011 at 12:00 am

That looks fantastic! So easy! I make a similar “taco salad” where I saute mushrooms, peppers, and whatever veggies I have as well, and it’s delish. Have you tried that brand of salsa from Costco? I could put guacamole on an old shoe and it would taste delicious.

13 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:48 am

No but I’ve seen it online! I’m going to try it next time if it’s there :)

14 Elle October 7, 2011 at 12:55 am

Hey, that looks wonderful. I looooove guac.

Tell Bob hi from me! :)

15 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:48 am

Instead of saying hi, I punched him in the face ;)

16 Emily@RunningPerspective October 7, 2011 at 1:04 am

OMG GIRL!! THIS LOOKS HEAVENLY! i am going to cosco this weekend and picking up that stuff and making that meal ASAP! for real i just printed out the lil recipe and i am SO EXCITED!! love youu<3

17 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:49 am

I thought about you and our protein goals while making it. It’s so easy and delicious. Let me know if you try it!

18 Steady Pursuit October 7, 2011 at 1:23 am

Love avocado on anything including soup. Do you eat avocados all by themselves? I often do but everyone tells me it is not normal.

19 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:50 am

I eat them mostly in other foods but I don’t think it’s weird at all! I know a lot of people that just scoop it out and eat it as is!

20 Corey @ Learning Patience October 7, 2011 at 1:24 am

I love you’re blog….xoxxooxoxo

21 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:50 am

Aww I love your blog too!!!

22 Falon October 7, 2011 at 1:40 am

I have never found a decent prepared guacamole at the store… I shall scout this out immediately! thanks for the tip!

23 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:51 am

I thought it was worth a try and was pleasantly surprised! Especially after reading such a simple ingredient list! Let me know if you try it!

24 Get Up & Go October 7, 2011 at 1:48 am

I LOVE guacamole on sandwiches, eggs, wraps, you name it. I could it alone. I’ve never met a guac I didn’t love.

I don’t know this brand! I must go to Costco this weekend and find it…..

xo
Sarah
Get Up & Go

25 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:51 am

I know, right?!?! Best condiment ever! Let me know if you find it :)

26 Ali Mc October 7, 2011 at 1:53 am

I love guac! and I am crossing my fingers that I win those compression shorts :D I hope you hear back from the race organizer soon

27 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:52 am

I hope I hear from him too! I’m actually going to the Canada Running Series office tomorrow so I’m going to ask them what’s up. Maybe even beg them!

28 Ali Mc October 7, 2011 at 11:55 am

hahaha I hope it goes well. I’m really scared about how huge the race is

29 Jessica @ rerunrunning October 7, 2011 at 2:21 am

BRILLIANT! You my friend are an easy/healthy meal genius! I love all those things! (Everything you just said, is MY favourite thing to do, every day! -Nacho Libre)

Oh, I am so trying this.

30 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:54 am

Speaking “Nacho”…guac + nachos = mmmm. You need to try it. I am so lazy in the kitchen so this is about the best I can do on most days! Healthy, protein-packed and delicious! Let me know if you try it!

31 Chels October 7, 2011 at 2:40 am

I am not a huge fan of guac, but when I do eat it, always with tocas or salsa. Workout today, 55 min cycle/elliptical with some weights!

32 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:54 am

Nice workout! Guac on tacos is amazing!

33 Cait the Arty Runnerchick October 7, 2011 at 2:52 am

HAHA…that is the biggest shot of guac i’ve ever seen! glad to see u were able to put it to good use and do some major damage. :)

that said, black beans also rule and i don’t care who else i have to share the room with…hehe. workout today was a REALLY bum-slow run…haha. but i’ll take it, i was a bit beat after my tempo yesterday. :)

34 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 2:55 am

I know…black beans are the best! Your bum-slow runs are probably my fast runs! No complaining!! You are a machine!

35 Laura October 7, 2011 at 3:13 am

I’ll need to check this out. I’m pretty bad at stomaching pre-mixed dips but I go love anything with avocados! :)

36 Christina @ The Athletarian October 7, 2011 at 3:30 am

I’m not a fan of pre-mixed anything but this passed the test!

37 Lindsey@Yogi Bear October 7, 2011 at 4:13 am

Yum, yum, yum! I love guac with absolutely anything. So good.

38 Laura October 7, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Absolutely getting my brother to take me to Costco with his card and absolutely making this! I’ve had taco salad a few times this week already and I seriously can’t get enough…

39 Tink October 7, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Have you tried their Hummus? Its wonderful!

40 Em October 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Nice dinner idea, delicious and simple AND quick. I may just have to steal this one for dinner tonight :)

41 Rachelle October 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Yum! I could seriously eat that for breakfast right now. Those are all of my favorites! I am obsessed with gauc….like it is a problem maybe. ha ha!

Freaking love you girl! Have the best weekend ever.

42 Haley @ Health Freak College Girl October 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm

i can eat guacamole all day everyday! i love it. have you ever tried dipping carrots in guacamole?? so gooooood

43 Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner October 7, 2011 at 5:05 pm

OOh gosh I need to try this ASAP.

I may try it this weekend and I’ll prob add some corn to it as well. Thanks for the fab idea!

44 Beth (Well I'll Be) October 7, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Yum, I’ve been on a major taco salad kick also!

45 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats October 7, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Yum! :) Sometimes there is nothing better than a taco salad! My workout today was about 14 miles biked and abs!

46 Missy October 8, 2011 at 1:03 am

Yum! I love guacamole and all mexican food, that looks super yummy! Have you ever tried Wholly Guacamole..you can find it at Harris Teeter, it’s pretty good too!

47 Kiah October 8, 2011 at 1:08 am

GAH that just gave me a serious guac-craving!

48 MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College October 8, 2011 at 2:27 am

Ah so many wonderful things in this salad! I love guacamole and I LOVE using greek yogurt in the place of sour cream. Looks delicious.

49 Melinda October 8, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I will have to see if my Costco has that guacamole! That salad looks amazing!!